Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times

Advertisements

I've had a client for 7 years. During the first 4 years at Christmas she would give me a gift card to a store. I was always appreciative and gave her a huge thank you and made sure to give her children a generous gift in return. During the last 3 years she has been making donations in my name to a charity. #1 I don't do all these extra things for her so that she can decide whom to donate to in my name. #2 I don't like her giving out my name/address to these charities who then sell my information and send me millions of donation requests throughout the year. 3. I can't even deduct the stupid donation made in my name because I have no basis in it. She, however, can deduct the donation on her tax return. 4. I don't like the charity she has chosen to donate to in my name and I certainly don't feel honored by this. Instead I feel anger.

I have asked her to stop giving out my address to these charities, but she does it anyway. I have called the charity and asked to be removed from their mailing list, but they don't remove me.

Is there anyway to politely let her know that this is not appreciated? I think it is a terrible idea to give donations in someone else name. If someone wants to make donations they will do it themselves without help to the organization of their choice.

If you are going to give someone a gift, then give the gift to them and not to a third party.

On the other hand, she is a client, and I am not trying to start a fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Maybe you could tell her that you can't handle all the junk mail that comes from it..tell her thanks, (and you appreciate the thought) but you'd rather she didn't...tell her the only charity you want/like to donate to is the animal shelter.
I agree, that if someone wants to give a gift to another, a donation in their name is not the answer...I wouldn't consider that a gift either....goodluck..hopefully she won't take offense when/if you set her straight.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Client and vendor gifts are really risky. It is something I have never practiced in all the years I've worked due to it's look of impropriety. I would send her a letter - yes a letter - not verbal and nicely explain while you have appreciated the gesture, everyone has been asked to refrain from this practice in your office in the future and just do away with the whole thing.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 AM

53 posts, read 83,366 times
Donations made as nominee for someone else are gifts. You get the tax deduction for charitable donations made in your name.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
No, you have no basis in the donation and therefore cannot deduct it. You must have a basis to take a deduction. In addition, you must be able to file Schedule A instead of taking a standard deduction to deduct it.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:14 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceWriter View Post
Donations made as nominee for someone else are gifts. You get the tax deduction for charitable donations made in your name.
Nope.
In this case the client gets the tax donation; the OP get no donation deduction and no gift.

OP, how about saving all those mailings and giving them to her, showing her how you are being inundated with junkmail?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
It all depends on just how good a client she is. I would not feel the need to reciprocate other than in kind since she feels this is fine. However, it will never stop if you do.

So decide if the money you make is worth the aggravation and dispose of junk mail in the trash as it comes in without opening.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
id tell your client you got a virus and it destroyed your computer, so you have to stop ALL unsolicited emails.. including charitable ones..

Old 12-13-2013, 05:01 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
id tell your client you got a virus and it destroyed your computer, so you have to stop ALL unsolicited emails.. including charitable ones..
I don't agree....too many lies these days as it is.

Just be honest and tell her that while you appreciate her wanting to donate to a charity, that you prefer to choose the charity yourself.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Ugh -- HATE charitable donations "in my name". I think it's fair to say, "Thank you so much for the thought, but I'm trying to streamline my gift-giving and marketing, so I am getting away from holiday gifts and working on something a little more work-oriented. Can we please agree not to exchange gifts?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships