Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I thought it was pretty clear from his first post that he doesn't send gifts to his siblings any more, viz:

"I am 50 years old and have tried to get my siblings off the "gift giving" thing with me. .. For some reason my siblings insist on sending me gifts. I am just not into it. Rather than respect my feelings they send me something anyways."
I have expressed this to them directly and they refuse to respect it. The problem is if I receive a gift I would feel bad if I did not give one in return. Every year I ask if we could just exchange greeting cards and every year a gift shows up a few days before Christmas.

Maybe next year I will suggest they donate to "The Human fund" in my name?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I have expressed this to them directly and they refuse to respect it.
It's their prerogative to enjoy giving to you even knowing that you're not reciprocating. Since when did gift-giving have to be something that falls under the "respect" umbrella in context? My point was that since your sister obviously wants to send you something and obviously continues to send you something, simply tell her that you can't use the PetSmart gift card but would be able to use Petco (or whatever) for which your animals thank her.

If someone wants to give you a gift it should be accepted graciously. Your behavior was churlish.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:13 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
I think people often give what they would like to get. So you probably made her happy. I also like the idea of donating the card to a shelter but that won't help you stop the gift from coming. Perhaps when sister sees you are basically exchanging the same gift back and forth she'll realize the pointlessness of the situation.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
OP, you did better than I would have. I just simply would not have sent anything. I have found that the first year they probably think you mistakenly forgot or whatever, the second year they think it couldn't have happened again could it and then the third year of not receiving a gift in return they finally get the picture. Usually, after 3 years those you do not wish to exchange gifts with finally get it and stop sending you one.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I don't think it is tacky since you did use the gift card for good use!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
I honestly do not understand what the problem is, accept the gift graciously
and be happy that they think of you.

There is no need to feel guilty about not giving them a gift since they know how you
feel [ so do we] , were it me I would surely be able to come up with idea's/money for two gifts
for my siblings, it's not like you are gifting to 100's of friends and family.
Try it , it feels good to give a gift!

Old 12-17-2013, 06:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
It would have been better if you would have sent her a note and told her that her gift from you is that you have contributed xxx $$$ (the face value of her gift card) to the Humane Society in her name.

Then mail the gift card to the Humane Society so they can use it to buy food or supplies for foster animals.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:45 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's their prerogative to enjoy giving to you even knowing that you're not reciprocating. Since when did gift-giving have to be something that falls under the "respect" umbrella in context? My point was that since your sister obviously wants to send you something and obviously continues to send you something, simply tell her that you can't use the PetSmart gift card but would be able to use Petco (or whatever) for which your animals thank her.

If someone wants to give you a gift it should be accepted graciously. Your behavior was churlish.
I agree with this. You could have bought something online from them(it's rare you must go to a brick and mortar store to use a gift card nowadays) or like others said, you could have donated the card, any shelter would have been happy to get it.

I make more than many of my family, some of whom have money problems. But I still get them something because I enjoy it, and it's fine with all of us (in fairness they do feed me more often than vice versa). If someone really didn't want a gift though, I would much prefer they simply tell me rather than do something snarky in return.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
Many millions of "gift card" dollars never get used.
The merchants LOVE this.
Gift cards are simply a very bad substitute for money.
They are little more than a mindless knee-jerk response of a spiritually empty nation in a big game of "pretend we care".
They are worse than REAL money because they are expressions of little that is is good and much of what is bad about holiday gift-giving in a secular, consumerist society.
Your sister's gift was tacky.
Your gift was hilarious.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
It must really suck to have family members who care enough about you to make the effort to purchase and send something to you for Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships