Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,726 times

Advertisements

My job requires me to talk to attorneys on the phone all of the time. I got married in September & changed my name. I was speaking with an attorney this morning when he commented on my name change. He said he doesn't care for my new name, and prefers a 'nice Italian name' (my maiden name is Italian). He also asked me what the nationality of my new name is, (it sounds Native American, but it's German) and when he said it sounds Native American, he sounded disgusted. I decided to be the bigger person, and remained professional, while not saying anything. Now I'm wishing I had given him a piece of my mind. Who does he think he is?? (he also felt the need to tell me that his wife is Italian, & that he is Jewish). I've noticed that a lot of attorney's will talk about last names, and will ask what nationality my married name is, but they are usually at least nice about it & will comment on how unique it is.

Should I have said something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
No, definitely not. He was rude, but that doesn't mean you need to be also. Better to keep good relationships at your job than to "give someone a piece of your mind" when that can't really have any positive result. A smart person in this case says nothing, but of course, doesn't forget.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I'd have gone with "Wow."

It's Carolyn Hax's favorite response to stunningly ignorant behavior.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
You did the right thing. You will never regret taking the high road. Now that you know he's a jerk, you can file him in your "jerk" drawer.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
My job requires me to talk to attorneys on the phone all of the time. I got married in September & changed my name. I was speaking with an attorney this morning when he commented on my name change. He said he doesn't care for my new name, and prefers a 'nice Italian name' (my maiden name is Italian). He also asked me what the nationality of my new name is, (it sounds Native American, but it's German) and when he said it sounds Native American, he sounded disgusted. I decided to be the bigger person, and remained professional, while not saying anything. Now I'm wishing I had given him a piece of my mind. Who does he think he is?? (he also felt the need to tell me that his wife is Italian, & that he is Jewish). I've noticed that a lot of attorney's will talk about last names, and will ask what nationality my married name is, but they are usually at least nice about it & will comment on how unique it is.

Should I have said something?
Sometimes people try to sound clever or conversational but it doesn't work. I wouldn't take offence. It's not your problem that this attorney has poor social skills.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
You: "It's funny you should mention that. My new husband and I were thinking about legally changing our last name to YOUR fabulous last name. We wanted to also ask if you would handle it for us pro bono."

Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'd have gone with "Wow."

It's Carolyn Hax's favorite response to stunningly ignorant behavior.
I love this.

Dear Abby's favorite response to nosy questions (which could have also worked in this situation) is "why do you ask?"

My canned response is usually "thank you for your opinion" and then I change the subject.

But no, you don't need to give him a piece of your mind. Many people are interested in heritage and small talk. If you prefer not to talk about it, see the three options above! Don't try so hard to get offended.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,423,528 times
I'm very curious about the origins of last names, and wonder if I put my foot in my mouth by asking about them.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
I think I would have said, What's in a name? It's the man behind it that's important and I consider it an honor to share his last name. That attorney was a......

Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
This guy is in the jerk department and I would not worry about it . He obviously gives his opinion even if it is not asked . I have a family member and she does the "well if you ask me " thing and my husband always feels the need to say under his breath "we did 'nt ask you " LOL . Just consider this guy a jerk and leave it at that . I used to work for a bunch jack azz lawyers too and they always had something to say about something ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships