Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't understand why age gaps are even a topic on this thread. This is insulting to these girls, IMO, it's like men are assuming they are there as potential companions rather than servers. Why treat them as near-hookers like they are there for the pickings for male customers, just because they are pretty and hired to flirt and be friendly? Aside from better looks, they are no different than servers anywhere and should be treated with the same respect, IMO.
I can only speak for myself. I treated my server at Hooters well. She was open to talking about one or two other things like where she was originally from and asked me what I did while visiting Colorado. There was no lewd talk and I did not ask her out either. I think your "near hookers" comment is a wild exaggeration frankly (at least where I live). Many of the women at these places love the attention they get even if it is for the tips. It is really "win-win". They are not victims. They could have worked at Starbucks, Denny's or an office job.

However, people meet in all sorts of ways and with the workplace being a riskier place to meet, sometimes this is an avenue for some people. If it gets disrespectful, the waitress can always tell the manager (after first trying to reason with the customer) and the customer will be warned or maybe asked to leave.

Many women are also attracted to handsome men and often give them more attention. I don't hear too many other men complaining about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why age gaps are even a topic on this thread. This is insulting to these girls, IMO, it's like men are assuming they are there as potential companions rather than servers. Why treat them as near-hookers like they are there for the pickings for male customers, just because they are pretty and hired to flirt and be friendly? Aside from better looks, they are no different than servers anywhere and should be treated with the same respect, IMO.
BTW, a friend of mine that has traveled to the Philippines told me there are 16 year old girl waitresses at some restaurants/bars there that are completely nude and flirt openly with the male customers. Hooters in the USA by comparison is closer to how women dress for church.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:58 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I can only speak for myself. I treated my server at Hooters well. She was open to talking about one or two other things like where she was originally from and asked me what I did while visiting Colorado. There was no lewd talk and I did not ask her out either. I think your "near hookers" comment is a wild exaggeration frankly (at least where I live). Many of the women at these places love the attention they get even if it is for the tips. It is really "win-win". They are not victims. They could have worked at Starbucks, Denny's or an office job.

However, people meet in all sorts of ways and with the workplace being a riskier place to meet, sometimes this is an avenue for some people. If it gets disrespectful, the waitress can always tell the manager (after first trying to reason with the customer) and the customer will be warned or maybe asked to leave.

Many women are also attracted to handsome men and often give them more attention. I don't hear too many other men complaining about that.
I'm not talking about how customers treat them in person, I'm talking about how people are talking about them here on this thread. How does a thread about servers become a thread on whether they like older or younger guys to date unless the guys here see them as just something else on the menu rather than servers?

I would actually love to hear what they say privately to each other after a shift, about the guys who come in there thinking they can get a doggie-bag of waitress with their order of wings.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 AM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about how customers treat them in person, I'm talking about how people are talking about them here on this thread. How does a thread about servers become a thread on whether they like older or younger guys to date unless the guys here see them as just something else on the menu rather than servers?

I would actually love to hear what they say privately to each other after a shift, about the guys who come in there thinking they can get a doggie-bag of waitress with their order of wings.
Exactly, It seems like a lot guys think these girls are there to get a date. They are there to work and make money. It's there job to look good and make you feel good.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
BTW, a friend of mine that has traveled to the Philippines told me there are 16 year old girl waitresses at some restaurants/bars there that are completely nude and flirt openly with the male customers. Hooters in the USA by comparison is closer to how women dress for church.
I wouldn't like to be served food by anyone who was nude.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:53 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Exactly, It seems like a lot guys think these girls are there to get a date. They are there to work and make money. It's there job to look good and make you feel good.
That is so pathetic. The whole concept of flirting for tips is stupid. The Hooters in my area flopped big time. Either go to the strip joint or go to a restaurant with real food and real servers. Hooters tries to have it both ways and ends up being lame all around.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
+1

Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Most guys realize that. It is also my recollection that the age gap talk was started by someone that was critical of older guys flirting with the waitresses. I admit I continued the talk along with some others. If some guy asks a girl out, she will probably tell him "No" and that is the end of it. No big deal. There are worse things to be concerned about. Who knows? Maybe on occasion they say "Yes", too.

It is perfectly legal and OK if done without profanity. It even happens at ordinary diners and lounges, not just Hooters and Tilted Kilt.

I suppose we could also criticize people meeting there eventual SO at church. They are there to worship, right? Or are they there to get a date? Just using the logic in your post. People meet in many different ways.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is so pathetic. The whole concept of flirting for tips is stupid. The Hooters in my area flopped big time. Either go to the strip joint or go to a restaurant with real food and real servers. Hooters tries to have it both ways and ends up being lame all around.
We vote with our $$$. If they relied on my business, they would be in trouble, too. However, I found nothing offensive at all about it when I went. Innocent fun. So you would prefer guys go to strip clubs instead of Hooters. Interesting.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:

There are older customers there and someone took offense to that is how it started. FWIW, If the people in those establishments don't have a problem with it, then you shouldn't either. People are just going there to have a good time. That is all. No one will ever force you to go to a Hooters, Tilted Kilt, or similar establishment. If a guy thinks he can walk out with a waitress he will probably get a reality check. "Thank you for coming in. No, I am not available afterwards, I have other customers to serve. Please come again." No big deal.

They probably do joke about some of the guys that flirt with them. Why is it worse than flirting in a coffee shop, diner, lounge, bookstore, library, mall, etc?

Please chill and drop the Puritannical outrage. One more time...they can work elsewhere if they do not like it there. I am sure out of line customers occasionally get tossed, but I did not see anything offensive when I was there.

The biggest concern at any establishment of this sort should be whether customers are being allowed to leave over the legal alcohol limit. That is a real issue IMO. Your concern about the guys flirting with the servers is a non issue IMO. It is just innocent fun. Priorities!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships