Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 08:19 PM

532 posts, read 959,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Bacon is gooood!
One taste will turn the most orthodox Jew into a gentile.
I tried to forget about this post and go on, but it is such a slap in the face that I have to address it.

I am Jewish and was raised in a strict Jewish household (not orthodox), but no pork products or shellfish, only kosher meat and milk & meat were never mixed. That means two sets of silverware, dishes and pots & pans as well as refrigerator dishes. Both of my parents are Jewish, although my father is more strict about it (his father was an Orthodox Rabbi).

Non kosher food was never brought into the house (to this day).

My mother and I eat anything OUT OF THE HOUSE. My father is not happy but "ok" with shellfish, but if we order bacon, well, let's say we don't as it upsets him, and seeing my father upset over bacon is not worth it.

My father is 85 years old and has NEVER had anything close to a pork product or shellfish in his mouth and he has no interest in trying it.

I do understand that everyone's beliefs are different, hell, one of his brothers allowed any and every kind of food in his house, that's fine, his house, his rules.

But to paint everyone with the same paintbrush as "one taste will turn the most orthodox Jew into a gentile" is naïve and disgraceful.

Stepping off my soapbox now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:25 PM

Sometimes it's just a courtesy thing.

I do enjoy bacon in the morning, 2 years ago visiting friends and discovered that my friend's wife doesn't eat any pork products. It's not a religious or cultural thing, she doesn't like the taste. Would my friend like some bacon -- probably? It would have been very rude of me (if knowing this beforehand) I had brought my own (although I can't see how I would think of that). I would have been disrespecting my host.

I can do without for a few days, she did have turkey bacon.

Point is, the wishes of the homeowner should be respected, alternative is to either stay at a hotel or go out for breakfast.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Totally rude and uncalled for. Not. Funny.
Thank you, you beat me to it!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:01 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
So I don't keep kosher, but I do my best to avoid eating pork.

The in laws are staying with us, and have apparently bought bacon (and put it in my refrigerator). They, of course, know I'm Jewish, and have always made an effort to not serve pork when I'm over at their house. Which is really more than I've ever asked for, though if I knew pork chops were on the menu, I would make other dining arrangements.

Anyway, should I be offended by this bacon? I assume it means they'll be attempting to feed it to my two year old while I'm at work.
I don't know about anyone else but this part of the sentence sure reads iffy. Pork is not that hard to avoid (trickery notwithstanding).

Old 02-15-2014, 10:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
I personally think that religious dietary prescriptions are ridiculous. Most people just accept these dictates blindly. It's all rather mindless.

I also think that bringing bacon to anyone's house is bizarre and some people do not like the smell of bacon in their house.

It is kind of crazy that these people must eat pig meat at all times, regardless of who it might offend.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I don't know about anyone else but this part of the sentence sure reads iffy. Pork is not that hard to avoid (trickery notwithstanding).
It is sometimes. Have you no never had a salad show up with bacon bits on it even though it wasn't listed on the menu?

As people who have a Peanut allergy automatically state in a restaurant no matter what it says on the menu, people need to also state it automatically related to Pork products.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
The OP doesn't keep kosher by her own admission. Her personal rules are arbitrary. It's unreasonable to expect other people to keep up with, let alone respect, "rules" that may change from day to day.

This sounds like someone who doesn't drink...oh wait, they drink SOME things, but they try to avoid pinot grigios...not that they don't EVER drink pinot grigios, and not that it's WRONG to drink pinot grigios from a religious perspective or anything, even though some people of their religion don't drink pinot grigio..."WAIT A DANG MINUTE, HOW DARE YOU BRING PINOT GRIGIO INTO MY HOUSE? I might not want to drink it one day!"

Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
They're JEWISH! My gosh, people, if the in-laws knew enough not to serve pork when the young woman visited their house, they should certainly have known better than to bring it into her home. It was not a simple oversight. That said, it's time for the OP and her husband to clarify things for the in-laws to prevent this from happening again.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:33 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
OP where are you? What happened with the out-laws, oops, I mean in-laws? Or was this more of a drive-by posting?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:50 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Quoting Jules Winnfield, "Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna eat the filthy m*****f*****."
If you follow that obviously humorous slant as if it's gospel, you probably don't or wouldn't eat much of anything. FYI - most if not all plants feed on the fecal matter and decayed organic matter of other creatures. It's an ugly world out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
Do you know that hogs will eat just about anything including cadavers. If you follow Leviticus - you cannot eat it. Just because some have been eating pork doesn't make it safe.
If you keep kosher, that's fine... hilariously outdated, but fine. The OP specifically mentioned that they did not subscribe to that. As for the 'cadaver eating' and even though hogs rarely consume flesh, plants do the same thing. It's called the cycle of life and I suggest you get used to it.

FYI - what makes it safe is thousands of years of empirical evidence which suggests that pork is perfectly fine for human consumption. Basing your lifestyle on a 2,000+ year old book and living in fear based on anecdotes and old wives tales just makes you look silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships