Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,829 times

Advertisements

I know some people (mostly women) who have young children. Some have a significant other while some are completely unattached. These people go out clubbing or partying 1-3 times a week. I see their FB newsfeed with pictures of them drinking and dirty dancing w/ their gf's. Their kids are at home, presumably w/ a babysitter.

Do you feel as I do that this is irresponsible behavior? Or do parents, especially single ones, have a right to go clubbing/partying on a regular basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 01:43 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I think it would be better if they stayed home and gossiped about others going clubbing. MYOB.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Of course they have a right to do whatever they like. That doesn't mean they are making smart choices, but it doesn't mean they aren't. Either way it's not something you really need to worry about.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:54 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
As long as the kids are safe and with someone reliable, I say all the power to them.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I know some people (mostly women) who have young children. Some have a significant other while some are completely unattached. These people go out clubbing or partying 1-3 times a week. I see their FB newsfeed with pictures of them drinking and dirty dancing w/ their gf's. Their kids are at home, presumably w/ a babysitter.

Do you feel as I do that this is irresponsible behavior? Or do parents, especially single ones, have a right to go clubbing/partying on a regular basis?
Well, in real life I wouldn't pass judgement if the kids are being well cared for in general. However, this is a relatively anonymous internet forum, and so I'm going to feel free to be totally judgemental and tell what I actually think to myself when I see that happen. I think the parent is totally immature and probably had kids too soon. I look down on them and think my child is lucky to have an older mom who puts his needs first and doesn't even want to go out to bars and act stupid. Actually, I haven't gone out to bars drinking and dancing since I was in my early 20's, and even then I never acted as foolishly as I remember some girls acting. I guess I think because I don't drink that also makes me a better mom and better person in general than those women. Ever since I graduated from college I've sort of felt that going out and getting drunk is immature and a little pathetic - something that should be left behind after the early 20's, if one ever did it at all.

Horrible and judgmental, yes, but that's what I actually think, even though I might not say it.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:47 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Do you feel as I do that this is irresponsible behavior?
I am not seeing the problem?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Would it be ok if they went to classes or meetings 2-3 nights a week? What about a quiet neighborhood bar with friends? Ballroom dance lessons? Movies with friends? What is it you actually object to, specifically?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I am not seeing the problem?
Okay, I'll speak for myself as the devil's advocate. Before I do, I'm going to preface this by saying that I had a great childhood with my grandparents at their tree farm and had a lot of fun, and quite frankly, felt closer to them than my mother even though my brother and I were with her throughout the week and with our grandparents on the weekends. I wouldn't honestly change any of it.

But I can see how it affected my life, mostly in the way that I got a lot less out-of-school socialization with my peers. I didn't have the luxury of attending birthday parties and sleepovers and play-dates simply because it would've been inconvenient for my mother's incessant partying. Therefore there was a lot I missed and I was never really part of "the group" at school. But our childhood was like heaven compared to my mom and uncles' childhoods. And she wonders why my one uncle is still angry about his childhood, forty-something years later. He really needs therapy and she does too, but anyway...

That's my two cents.

Quote:

I have just one question for you; would you hold fathers to the same standards as mothers, or is it okay for fathers to go out chugging mind-altering substances and chasing ass all weekend, but it's not okay for mothers to go blow off steam with the girls? Why are people so damn judgmental of single parents?? And for the record, a lot of married parents party a lot and do the swinging thing as well. Where's all the hate and judgment about that??

Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
I've never seen any good come out of such immature, and often reckless, behavior(s).

Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
My parents were very young when they had me (still in college) so apparently I was babysat a lot by grandparents so they could go out from time to time. I don't feel strongly about it. I don't think I missed out on much and they were still in their early 20's. As long as it's not excessive I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships