Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 PM

6,489 posts, read 7,845,567 times

Advertisements

Young women riding bicycles! Wearing knickers? We are all doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 PM

12 posts, read 17,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Like the negative effects the Beatles had on society?
Perhaps my mentioning of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus has derailed my main point, which is the technology.

In the 60s, people could still hold conversations without having to look at their smartphone every moment. The last time I sat down and had a conversation with someone offline, they spent most of the time looking at their phone.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialAnalog View Post
Perhaps my mentioning of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus has derailed my main point, which is the technology.

In the 60s, people could still hold conversations without having to look at their smartphone every moment. The last time I sat down and had a conversation with someone offline, they spent most of the time looking at their phone.
I completely got your point. Try to get mine. You just can't identify and relate to thing and are therefore threatened and afraid of it. You're like a man living with a tiger outside your house...you can't relax and you can't relate.

Don't you see? Your thoughts have been played over and over all through history for many many years and over many many generations. The kids of today will grow into the adults of to or row and be OK. And guess what? They'll think the younger generation is doomed too!

Edit: and just to add...the 60's? You mean those flower power, pot smokin', long haired dirty hippies? Pfft, don't you know? They were doomed because they had no direction and couldn't hold down a job, and they were all heathens. The world was doomed because of that generation.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:59 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,242,018 times
When the printing press was invented, critics said the same thing: its going to ruin society, the young generation is doomed, books were evil tools to brainwash youth and turn their brains to mush.
And in some ways they were right - for instance, the written word did eliminate the oral storytelling tradition, and with it some skills required for it, like incredible memory and oral mastery. Same thing with radio, TV, telephone - each time a new technology comes out, somethin progresses and other things regress or get eliminated. This is not a new story but simply the price of progress, just like in nature, evolution is always working and some traits evolve while others disappear. Whether any of it is good or bad is a pointless debate; the other alternative is for society to remain static, which is not going to happen and would likely lead to demise if it did. It's okay for us to experiment and to move forward, and if some things are eventually recognized as harmful, thats just part of it, that's how we learn from our mistakes - as happened with smoking, environmental damage, or the organic food movement, for instance. But we're not all doomed because of cell phones

Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I completely got your point. Try to get mine. You just can't identify and relate to thing and are therefore threatened and afraid of it. You're like a man living with a tiger outside your house...you can't relax and you can't relate.

Don't you see? Your thoughts have been played over and over all through history for many many years and over many many generations. The kids of today will grow into the adults of to or row and be OK. And guess what? They'll think the younger generation is doomed too!
I can relate to technology. I just can't relate to being raised by it. I lived in a time when people used analog clocks and could communicate with people without using a computer.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I can relate to technology. I just can't relate to being raised by it. I lived in a time when people used analog clocks and could communicate with people without using a computer.
So did I. I'm 40, married and have a kid and house and all that good stuff. I have the weight of responsibility up the gazoo.

I get it, I also see 20 something's being warmed by the soft glow of their mobile devices. But I get it, they are young. I can appreciate them and the difference of that generation even though I don't understand it very well. I guess I think they are cute and innocent, they'll have time to get in step with the world when they need to. And if the world changes according to their rules, then i'm ok with that.

The world will be ok, it's you who are heading towards not being ok. You can head towards the attitude and life of a bitter curmudgeon or you can choose to enjoy seeing the changes that are inevitable.

Best of luck.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,247,088 times
I don't feel that the OP is an old grumpy technophobe. I use my smart phone and it is a fantastic tool. I don't understand how I lived without it now - and it makes everything easier - but I don't forgo human contact in lieu of the phone. What the OP is talking about is childhood development without much human interaction.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:25 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,936,664 times
Adult have worried about kids since Plato. Swing dancing, rock and roll, hippies...texting. It all seems to work out ok in the end. I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,038,149 times
Quote:
Kids aren't being raised BY technology, they are being raised WITH technology. And, that isn't a terrible thing.

I don't see the doom and gloom you do. Around here, they are raising funds to build more Little League fields and soccer fields, because the dozen we have just aren't enough for the amount of kids who sign up to play. One of my sons came home from school for the weekend, and went over to a neighbor's house to help raise a basketball hoop, because his son had been asking for one since Christmas.

We had a couple of college boys here for a couple of hours tonight, and they sat and conversed with us, no cell phones in sight.

I won't deny that in some households, technology seems to have replaced human interaction. But, I do think it's still a small minority.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Kids aren't being raised BY technology, they are being raised WITH technology. And, that isn't a terrible thing.

I don't see the doom and gloom you do. Around here, they are raising funds to build more Little League fields and soccer fields, because the dozen we have just aren't enough for the amount of kids who sign up to play. One of my sons came home from school for the weekend, and went over to a neighbor's house to help raise a basketball hoop, because his son had been asking for one since Christmas.

We had a couple of college boys here for a couple of hours tonight, and they sat and conversed with us, no cell phones in sight.

I won't deny that in some households, technology seems to have replaced human interaction. But, I do think it's still a small minority.
It is more common than it probably should be, and with technology increasing every year it is likely to only get worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships