Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,011,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialAnalog View Post
It is more common than it probably should be, and with technology increasing every year it is likely to only get worse
When, or if you have children, you will be free to control their access to electronics as much as you deem necessary. That's the wonderful thing about being a parent, you make the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,231,030 times
Quote:
Perhaps my mentioning of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus has derailed my main point, which is the technology.

In the 60s, people could still hold conversations without having to look at their smartphone every moment. The last time I sat down and had a conversation with someone offline, they spent most of the time looking at their phone.
So people not wanting to talk to you is a symptom of a generational problem.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:10 PM

12 posts, read 17,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
So people not wanting to talk to you is a symptom of a generational problem.
I think you've missed the point. This isn't about who wants to talk to me, this is about the lack of communication skills in today's youth. Many people talk to me, but the younger ones do it by checking their smartphones all the time. Many people experience this problem in social situations.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,235,354 times
Quote:
It is more common than it probably should be, and with technology increasing every year it is likely to only get worse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
When, or if you have children, you will be free to control their access to electronics as much as you deem necessary. That's the wonderful thing about being a parent, you make the rules.
Twenty some years ago, when our children were in elementary school and MTV was fairly new we had a family rule that they could only watch MTV for one hour per week on Saturday. One night, while our family was watching the evening news together (how quaint), there was an announcement that the American Academy of Pediatricians or the American Medical Association or another group like that was condemning MTV "for ruining America's children."

Our six year old daughter was totally bewildered and said "How could MTV possible 'ruin America's children' when it is only on one hour per week?"

She had absolutely no idea that MTV was actually on 24 hours a day and seven days per week.

Any technology would be the same. Parents make the rules as to type of technology and the amount of time and children follow the rules. It is as easy as that.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Twenty some years ago, when our children were in elementary school and MTV was fairly new we had a family rule that they could only watch MTV for one hour per week on Saturday. One night, while our family was watching the evening news together (how quaint), there was an announcement that the American Academy of Pediatricians or the American Medical Association or another group like that was condemning MTV "for ruining America's children."

Our six year old daughter was totally bewildered and said "How could MTV possible 'ruin America's children' when it is only on one hour per week?"

She had absolutely no idea that MTV was actually on 24 hours a day and seven days per week.

Any technology would be the same. Parents make the rules as to type of technology and the amount of time and children follow the rules. It is as easy as that.
This is one of the issues. Many children don't follow the rules, and are ever-problematic in recent times.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,124,300 times
Quote:
This is one of the issues. Many children don't follow the rules, and are ever-problematic in recent times.
So, again, what do YOU think needs to be done about it???

Old 02-22-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So, again, what do YOU think needs to be done about it???
Maybe there could be an iPad application that programs the children to listen to adults.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:39 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,549,707 times
i'm on the OP's side on this one. yes there are responsible parents out there that ARE limiting the time their kids spend on their phones/computers/etc. but what about the ones that AREN'T? those kids are now occupying customer service jobs & have no idea how to deal face to face with customers. or how to resolve conflict with co-workers/customers/friends. & my pet peeve - what is appropriate to wear to the workplace in front of customers. it's rare to find a teenager that actually HELPS you in a store anymore. they tend to point "it's over there", or smack their gum at me while answering my question, or tell me "i don't know" but don't offer to find someone that does know.

do i think we're doomed as a society? no, but i do believe all parents need to set a good example for their kids & actually parent them.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,124,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i'm on the OP's side on this one. yes there are responsible parents out there that ARE limiting the time their kids spend on their phones/computers/etc. but what about the ones that AREN'T? those kids are now occupying customer service jobs & have no idea how to deal face to face with customers. or how to resolve conflict with co-workers/customers/friends. & my pet peeve - what is appropriate to wear to the workplace in front of customers. it's rare to find a teenager that actually HELPS you in a store anymore. they tend to point "it's over there", or smack their gum at me while answering my question, or tell me "i don't know" but don't offer to find someone that does know.

do i think we're doomed as a society? no, but i do believe all parents need to set a good example for their kids & actually parent them.
This ^^ is a management issue, not a parenting issue.

Workers need to be trained. Stuff you mentioned - pointing, gum, wardrobe - all fall under the realm of the manager. If they aren't being told how to act at work, their manager is bad at his/her job. THAT person wasn't raised by an iPad.

It is the responsibility of the older generation to teach the next how to act. Parents, teachers, co-workers, religious mentors, neighbors, friends ... all can help.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,908,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialAnalog
In recent years, the young ones have been spending too much time using electronic devices to the point where we are raising a generation that will lack proper social skills and require psychiatric help.
Thats what they want them to be MINDLESS ZOMBIES they can easily control!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships