Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:58 AM

45 posts, read 62,149 times

Advertisements

Seems like when a person e-mails a friend with some personal questions or telling the person some personal news the other person would at least be polite and respond in some way. My experience has been the opposite. I have some friends that I could e-mail them and say I am about to kill myself (I'm not) and I would not get a response. Even though I always respond to their e-mails.

What are you thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:37 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Everyone isnt glued to their email account.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:44 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
I don't expect a response. If I get one, ok...if not, ok. People have lives and are busy and have other things to do besides monitor email accounts all day. Some days they may not even get on the computer at all. If I had something I needed to discuss and I definitely needed feedback or a response I would just call them - but then you may get voice mail and no response. In the event of no response then...maybe your friend is just dodging you.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I rarely use email these days. I have one out-of-state friend, and we correspond a couple of times a month using email, but everybody else either texts or calls.

If I was in immediate trouble, that's the last way I would reach out for help.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times
Depends. I read every email my friends send me, but I don't respond to all of them because I don't always feel like it. Same the other way around. If it's someone who never responds to your emails but you actively speak to them otherwise, they may just not be "email" people, even if they sometimes send you one.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I have a friend who claims to read e-mail but never, ever responds. I don't get it. It's unfortunate because we live in different states and it would be an easy way to communicate across time zones.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I started using email back in 1993. It took a while for my friends to even get an internet connect, much less start using email. I used it for business back then and even businesses were slow to get on the bandwagon.

Once 2000 hit, more folks were on board with email, but since then . . . texting has become the best way to communicate with people (especially friends and family.

I have a few "stragglers" who still email me . . . they are folks over 55 and they didn't get into emailing til late in the game and they just don't get that most of us use email for business only these days. Even with good spam filters, so much crap gets into my box -- if I don't recognize an email addy or am in a hurry -- I dont' even bother with non-business emails for days. Maybe once a week I will try to skim over and make sure I didn't miss out on some invitation (people do still use email for invites, it seems) or that rare email from a friend.

Try explaining this to people who only got on email in the last few years. They dont' get it. They are still passing around jokes and cartoons -- something most of us gave up back in the 90s.

Don't be insulted if someone is not answering your emails. They may not be seeing them (maybe they are going into a spam folder). Maybe they rarely use email for personal communication.

Perhaps a phone call to "catch up" would be a better idea . . . and you can always mention that you had sent emails and assumed they went into a "spam" folder. Ask them if there is a better way to contact them than email. If they don't offer info re: texting, then maybe they aren't that interested in staying in touch (other than the occasional phone call).

Last edited by brokensky; 03-06-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Once 2000 hit, more folks were on board with email, but since then . . . texting has become the best way to communicate with people (especially friends and family.
I disagree. Texting is the best way to let someone know what time you are arriving, or that you'll be bringing the dessert, or that you need to reschedule.

It is not the best way to let someone know what is going on with their lives. I do miss the days of letter writing (and I am under 40). When I would get a letter in the mail, I loved openeing it up and finding out the comings and goings and personal thoughts of a good friend. I still appreciate that via email........

Old 03-06-2014, 05:28 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
I prefer email to texting. I work for someone who loves to text me about jobs. Drives me nuts as I get my email on the phone as well, and I can't flag a text as important.

That said, at times I get an email from a friend that I mean to answer, but never get around to it. I do better if I respond right away, rather than wait until I "have more time".

Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
It seems that phone calls, emails and letters are passé. Texting seems to be the preferred method of communication. Personally I hate summing up my life in texting sized snap shots but guess that is the way communication is headed. Sad. Twitter/texting sized attention spans too.

I'm on the older side and still use emails mostly to communicate with some of my long distance friends. One of my buddies had her email hacked so now exclusively texts. I've slowly lost contact with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships