Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 PM

7 posts, read 11,111 times

Advertisements

Our sister own a house for many years now. Unfortunately is old and her concrete ceiling is already torn away and falling down in pieces. You can see the rusted steel rebar in the ceiling. Her house is made of solid concrete and steel rebar. Her problem is she cannot afford to fix it. She is divorce with nokids and has being living by herself for to long.

Financially she absolutely can't really afford to come out of the situation without getting any money. She can't afford to pay for all the repairs. She live from pay check to pay check. I think she realizes it's to the point where putting money into it would be throwing money down the drain but she won't admit it. The house is going to continue to deteriorate when the weather changes and is start raining again. Waiting to see what is going to happen is only going to make it worse. For me there are real safety issues. The ceiling has already torn away and water will continue to weaken the concrete ceiling even more.

She may very well know the severity of it all, but gets overwhelmed by the amount of work that will require and the damages. This could be hazardous to her health from maybe black mold. From her pictures it does looks very serious and dangerous.

My one and only solution as well as our oldest brother are to walk away. I think she does have an emotional tie to the house. From what we have seen in pictures, it would cost several hundred thousands dollars to repair this old house that is falling apart. It would be far, far cheap to tear it down and build a new house of good quality if she would have the money. But she doesn't have the money or savings to buy or build one.

For my brother and me, repairing is completely impractical. We know it will cost more to fix than it is worth. She doesn't have to live in that dangerous situation. We feel for her. It's a very delicate and difficult situation. She doesn't even have the money to fix her own old car that broke down too.

Our resolution as well as our oldest brother from a long time ago is that we are both offering to her to move in with one of us at NO COST TO HER FOR A WHOLE YEAR. We are willing to give her EVERYTHING she needs to start all over.We can get her a job. She can start working and start SAVING EVERYTHING SHE CAN. If she can do that for one year or two she can get back in track starting fresh. She can rent or buy again. Even buy a car. Will give her one or two years or more if she needs to do so. We are willing to buy her clothes, food, anything she needs to keep her going while living with one of us. She doesn'thave to pay anything. NO RENT, NO ELECTRICITY, NO WATER, NOTHING while living with me and my husband or our bother and his wife.

We even told her that we will give her even 6 month of break to relax and do NOTHING before she starts working. We will pay her a small vacation that she hasn't have for YEARS so she can ease her mind from the past situation she has being for too long. But she doesn't want to take it. She rather has us send her money to help knowing that is never going to be enough for her big situation.

We are not asking for anything in return we just want to help her to get back on track with her life. That's THE BEST OFFER we can give her. You know how many times we have friends telling us that they will take that offer anytime just to get out of their own situation, but they don't have anybody offering them that. What else to do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You can't force her to accept your offer and obviously she wants to retain her independence. What you might consider doing is fixing her roof with an elastomeric product which will at least stop the continuing leaks for a couple of years.

I went through this for many years with an identically constructed building. You can spend more using a 3-coat system such as Vulkem but I found two or three coats of a much less expensive product I bought at Home Depot to be just as effective and lasted for 3-4 years. It was a job I was able to do myself (older woman), first pressure washing the roof and then applying the coats with a paint roller.

Between that and maybe seeing how much it would cost to fix her car (or purchase another used one in better shape) you're looking at very little money and it'll give her breathing space along with peace of mind.

Just a thought. Good luck and it's wonderful that you care so much about her.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:01 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
find out if her city offers any assistance in rehabbing houses for low income residents; sometimes there are services available that are not highly publicized

Do as STT suggests and spend a week as a family doing what you can to rehab the house

You are very lovely people to make the offer to support your sister, she is not wanting to impose on you.....

Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
find out if her city offers any assistance in rehabbing houses for low income residents; sometimes there are services available that are not highly publicized

Do as STT suggests and spend a week as a family doing what you can to rehab the house

You are very lovely people to make the offer to support your sister, she is not wanting to impose on you.....
She doesn't want to live with them, but does want them to send her money.

Anyway, I agree about the free house rehab. Our small poor town has such a program in place. One year they rehabbed, but now they are building brand new houses for people that qualify.

Check with her city offices.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 AM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
how old is she & what is her current source of income?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 AM

45 posts, read 62,136 times
Lots of people won't except help because they are very prideful. Many times the poorer the people are the more prideful they are. Just the opposite of what you would think.

I have a neighbor that built his house himself. He did such a poor job that he has heat bills that are about three times what they should be because of air leaks caused by the bad workmanship. Yet he is extremely prideful about what he thinks is wonderful workmanship and that he did it himself.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Stand firm on what you have offered as help. If you send any money....it is only enabling her to continue to live in a deplorable situation...If she cannot find a means to fix this house, she'll have to make a decision to sell. Tell her your offer is open....give her a time frame.
Now...if your sister is mentally ill, or is elderly....you can ask for assistance if you think her health and safety are at risk.

If the county where she lives condemned the house...she would be forced sooner to make a decision.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You can't force her to accept your offer and obviously she wants to retain her independence. What you might consider doing is fixing her roof with an elastomeric product which will at least stop the continuing leaks for a couple of years.

I went through this for many years with an identically constructed building. You can spend more using a 3-coat system such as Vulkem but I found two or three coats of a much less expensive product I bought at Home Depot to be just as effective and lasted for 3-4 years. It was a job I was able to do myself (older woman), first pressure washing the roof and then applying the coats with a paint roller.

Between that and maybe seeing how much it would cost to fix her car (or purchase another used one in better shape) you're looking at very little money and it'll give her breathing space along with peace of mind.

Just a thought. Good luck and it's wonderful that you care so much about her.

SST Resident Thanks for your comment. That is a great product to use. I know because I work for Home Depot. But unfortunately my sister is not a handy person for things like that. If not she would have done things before is start getting worst. I am. I have learned to much working for the company that me and my husband fix everything around the house just to save money that way. But she won't do it not even to save money that way. I live here in U.S just like our brother, she lives back home in Puerto Rico a small tropical island. We have our oldest brother living their too and have offered her to help her fix the house for FREE, but NEGATIVE...She rather have us send her money to pay someone else to do the job. We can't not even visit her. KUDOS FOR YOU that you did it yourself. Thks and God Bless. :-)

Last edited by myresolution; 03-20-2014 at 04:18 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post

Thank you WorldKlas for your comment. I will find out and see if is possible in her area. Unfortunately we can't go and help her because she lives in Puerto Rico. We live here in the U.S. It would be hard for all of us to take vacation to fix her house. Will cost more with the trip and it won't take a week to fix it. It would take WEEKS to do it. If she would be here it wouldn't be no trouble. But we have our oldest brother living close to her that have offered her to help but NEGATIVE. She don't want him to help her. SHE KNOWS OUR OFFER FOR MANY YEARS NOW IS UP TO HER... Thks and God Bless.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
She doesn't want to live with them, but does want them to send her money.

Anyway, I agree about the free house rehab. Our small poor town has such a program in place. One year they rehabbed, but now they are building brand new houses for people that qualify.

Check with her city offices.
Thanks Clemencia53 for the comment. I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships