Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 AM

28 posts, read 113,805 times

Advertisements

I've known this guy for almost 14 yrs. throughout all these years, we've been on a rollercoaster, with a lot of ups and downs.
this 'friend' is a funny and entertaining guy to be around. he has a charismatic personality, that a lot of people find pretty attractive. he's also a very self-centered and narcissistic womanizer.

In the past few months we've texted a couple of times, but haven't spoken on the phone or seen each other.
about two weeks ago he sent me a txt asking me for my e-mail so he could invite me to his gilrfriend's baby shower.
I replied with my email.

fastfoward two weeks, and yesterday he posted a pic of his girlfriend's baby shower, to which my wife and I were not invited.

I feel kind of sidestepped and I think that I should completely ditch this so-called 'friend'

I already erased his phone number from my phonebook so I can't call him or text him.
I'm thinking of unfriending him from FB.

Do you think I'm doing the right thing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,714,991 times
Well, he is just a casual acquaintance -- not really a friend. You and he don't spend time together or stay in touch. Doesn't sound like you share a history, either. So don't read more into this than it is. Drop him from your radar or keep him on your FB list.

You might think about how you want to use social media and if you want only a core group of real people in your life or if you are comfortable with a "network". Only you can decide what works for you.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,074,835 times
OH MY GOD......are you really going to inflict the pain and emotional suffering that comes from being UNFRIENDED on FaceBook.

Have some mercy....

Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
OH MY GOD......are you really going to inflict the pain and emotional suffering that comes from being UNFRIENDED on FaceBook.

Have some mercy....
LoL.

I rarely post anything on my FB, sometimes a pic of my daughter, or an important update (i.e. traveling somewhere I have friends) but this guy is always posting stuff. Most of it pretty trivial or some downright nonsensical.

Facebook for better or worse, helps to keep up with what's happening in people's lives, especially with people that are 'oversharers' like this friend, so cutting him off from FB will mean I won't know anything that goes on with him.
I should probably cut his GF off, as well.

now the problem is that my wife has them as friend on FB also.

I should probably ask my wife to unfriend them as well.
what do you think ?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,714,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whattodo2014 View Post
LoL.

I rarely post anything on my FB, sometimes a pic of my daughter, or an important update (i.e. traveling somewhere I have friends) but this guy is always posting stuff. Most of it pretty trivial or some downright nonsensical.

Facebook for better or worse, helps to keep up with what's happening in people's lives, especially with people that are 'oversharers' like this friend, so cutting him off from FB will mean I won't know anything that goes on with him.
I should probably cut his GF off, as well.

what do you think ?
you can also elect to "hide" their posts. I do this with many of my "oversharers" so that I don't have to see their posts but haven't actually unfriended them.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
you can also elect to "hide" their posts. I do this with many of my "oversharers" so that I don't have to see their posts but haven't actually unfriended them.
I already 'unfollow' him but maybe just cutting him off is a better way to go.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:41 AM

24,728 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Friend - unfollow, ditch, oversharer, ... and you were not invited to the baby shower.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Friend - unfollow, ditch, oversharer, ... and you were not invited to the baby shower.

what are you trying to say?

I just unfriended him and his GF from FB. and I don't have his phone number so this is it.

I kept this guy as my friend (we were mostly 'party friends' in all honesty) mainly because he was funny and entertaining. and also becacause I don't have many friendsto begin with.
but like I said, this guy is very self-absorbed.
he would never have time to listen to other people's problems and when I invited him to events (such as my daughter's 1st B-day) he would come 3 hrs late or don't come at all.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,307,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whattodo2014 View Post

what do you think ?
No. Take care of your own facebook page.
If your wife is bothered, she can take care of it herself.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
No. Take care of your own facebook page.
If your wife is bothered, she can take care of it herself.
well, i asked my wife what she thinks about unfriending them. and she laughed at me.
im transcribing her response verbatim;
"Whatever. I don’t care. I don’t even interact with them like with many others."

I think it's time to say; buh bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships