Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 PM

37 posts, read 61,656 times

Advertisements

LOL!! This sounds like it would make a great movie. I can't wait to find out how it ends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 05:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,757,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_job1 View Post
I am so leery of contacting HR unless they contact me for a specific reference for her.
I agree with you and don't think it's a good idea at all for you to say anything at all to HR. Do as others have suggested and simply set your boundaries. Doing so isn't being "confrontational" by any stretch. Business and friendship are best kept separate and, frankly, if setting the boundaries you have to set results in the loss of the friendship then this may not be such a bad thing after all given what's been going on.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:20 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,283,989 times
Quote:
I appreciate the suggestions. I am so leery of contacting HR unless they contact me for a specific reference for her. I underwent a thorough background check and they actually do call and check references. I am assuming her résumé will not pass the computer portion due to a lack of very specific experience and certification that is required.

The thing is, most times she is a very good friend to me, and I enjoyed working with her. If she wasn't starting to exhibit the crazy- making obsessive behavior towards work that I have seen in the past not end well, I would want to work with her again.

I was trying to salvage the friendship from her obsessiveness about this job. Now, I am afraid if I confront her, she will retaliate.
Retaliate? Then she's not a friend at all.

Common sense would dictate that if you just started a position yourself, then you aren't in any position to help anyone yet. You need to establish yourself first before you can recommend anyone. I would explain this to her. That isn't being confrontational - you are being honest.

I would seriously cut ties with her after this. You don't owe her anything, and her sense of entitlement is staggering.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,983,567 times
Quote:
Her behavior is actually frightening me.
This is what concerns me. Don't worry about being polite or nice. Sometimes women are too concerned about hurting other people's feelings when they should be more concerned about taking care of themselves. Say no. It sounds like she may start stalking you (if she hasn't already). I suggest you tell HR you aren't recommending her and stop having ANY contact with this woman.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 AM

24,648 posts, read 10,980,030 times
Being a reference on an application does not mean you referred the other party. Give her the official application protocol - go on-line, apply, follow up. It is HR's and the hiring manager's decision to select, interview and hire the candidate deemed best for the job.
Why the sour grapes about house with pool and husband?

Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 AM

12 posts, read 14,268 times
I am not happy that our friendship has come to this. As for sour grapes about her husband and pool, I have none really. She chose to have children and be married and stay at home when I was working at her age. So, instead of her seeing all the good things in life she has, like a loving husband and a lovely home and family, she is hyper competitive at work. She has a brother who is a successful medical doctor. And I think her self esteem is tied into her career due to her family background, father having been a university professor. She currently has a job. She isn't destitute on the street, hungry and poor, looking for work.

I, on the other hand, came from a working class background, and sacrificed a lot for school and career. I appreciate my jobs, but it hasn't been an option for me to work to support myself, like it was an option for her. I found this job and went through months of interviews and background checks, etc. and for some reason, she thinks she can just call my supervisor and get hired. She and I have similar degrees, and in the past, I was interviewed and negotiated salary and offered more than one job by more than one company. I then referred her to one of the job offers, and she got it. I laid the groundwork for her, and then she ended up filing a lawsuit of sorts with the company. The HR department felt she was obsessively talking and bothering people at work about some thing that she would not let go. This is a pattern of behavior from her.

We no longer even live in the same states, so yes, I need to cut ties with her.

I need to do it in a more fade out way, without confronting her.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I need to be a dead end for her, as someone here suggested.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:05 AM

11,148 posts, read 9,787,270 times
I'd just let the friendship fade out. Don't reply to every e-mail, maybe every third one, and keep replies short. Repeat to her your previous replies that you haven't been there long enough to have any influence. When she asks for your supervisors name, just repeat that there aren't any openings in your department.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
She frightens you and you fear she will retaliate. Never give her any information about your work or personal life again.

Since you live in different states, it should be easy to fade this relationship.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,663,186 times
If you live in a different state, and are unlikely to ever see her again, just end it. Put her on your spam list, you'll never see another email. Block her phone, etc

Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Quote:
I appreciate the suggestions. I am so leery of contacting HR unless they contact me for a specific reference for her. I underwent a thorough background check and they actually do call and check references. I am assuming her résumé will not pass the computer portion due to a lack of very specific experience and certification that is required.

The thing is, most times she is a very good friend to me, and I enjoyed working with her. If she wasn't starting to exhibit the crazy- making obsessive behavior towards work that I have seen in the past not end well, I would want to work with her again.

I was trying to salvage the friendship from her obsessiveness about this job. Now, I am afraid if I confront her, she will retaliate.
I agree with others that you NEED to contact HR and let them know about the situation. At the very least, you need to discuss this with your supervisor and get his/her advice. Your fiend, I mean friend, doesn't ever have to know about these conversations.

No need to confront her at this point.

I think it's obvious that in this relationship, you need to keep business and friendship separate. If she can't or won't accept those terms then you will need to break off the friendship. She sounds like a kook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships