Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Neighbors help out neighbors, at least in my world. We borrow, they borrow, it all evens out...........
Maybe so, but neighbors don't loan neighbors equipment that doesn't belong to them.

I also learned the hard way to only loan my stuff to people who have proven that they are trustworthy and will return it without breaking it. That is not a large percentage of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
My daughter used to loan out everything to a similar lot of people. My vacuum cleaner. The iron. The salt, flour, sugar, etc. Like who is heck has to borrow salt every evening?

I'd had enough one time and just had to give my daughter the cold hard truth. Early in the afternoon one "lady" borrowed flour. Then milk later. Then baking soda. Imagine my surprise when my daughter told me that she made biscuits. Geeze, I wonder how?
I actually blame the borrowers more than my kid though --- there are those people who will just take total advantage whenever they can.

I would never dream of using some kid to get the free use of his or her parents' things. The moochers are the ones who are putting the kid in the middle by asking for things the kids' parent has.

That's funny about the biscuits.

I've had to tell my kid that it's time lazy people get off their butts and get a job and they can buy or rent things instead of using my stuff. My brother at age 16 was dating the daughter of "a similar lot of people" and after just a few dates, her low-life family was trying to get my mom to co-sign a loan on a car they wanted to buy. They actually had the gall to drive up to my parents' home when my dad was at work in their clunker and try to coerce her into signing for them to get a newer car.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And, how often is that the norm in your world? It isn't in mine.

I'd be more annoyed if a neighbor let their grass grow a foot tall than having a lawn mower lent out.
It's more the norm around here. Yes, I can see a give-and-take kind of relationship -- but that wouldn't involve going through the kids to borrow things. What's involved here is something different.

These are people who use their own kids' friendships to try to get things they don't want to have to buy or rent. They're users. The kid gets put in the middle -- and starts loaning his or her parents' things to be a good guy -- but you have to stop it. For one these people are just using your kid when they ask for your things.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
I've been thinking about the borrowing among neighbors that people keep mentioning. We have lived in the same small, close knit condo complex for almost 30 years. We have been neighbors with many of the same families for 25 plus years and there are a few newer neighbors. I can not even remember one time, in 30 years, when someone borrowed a cup of flour or an egg or something like that from us or we borrowed a food item from someone else.

Perhaps, the people in our complex just keep stocked up on the basics or decide to make something else if we run out of ingredients.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:19 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Your son is an adult. Tell him that if he can't respect your property and our rules it is time for him to find his own place. He isn't a child anymore.

This. ^^^

And spend the money to have a neighborhood kid do it if you can't find the time to do it yourself on your days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships