Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:50 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times

Advertisements

The reason why I'm really upset with my 20 year old son right now is because my lawn needs mowing pretty bad. I been on him all week about getting that done because my lawn really needs it and it looks the worst of the yards all around me. I been on 12 hour night shifts this week 7:00pm to 7:00am, so when I get home its off to bed for me. Since I'm off tonight until Monday, I got everything out and ready for him to do the lawn before I went to bed and I also spoke with him and let know that everything was ready and he needed to get that done this morning. I got up around 1:00 and the yard still looks like nobody lives at 181. So, I asked what is going on with the yard and why its not done or at least started yet. He lends the lawn mower to his friend 4 houses down the street, so I really cant believe what I'm hearing from him. I asked him to run that by me one more time and he said his friend wanted to use it right quick and said he will bring it right back. I wont say what all I told him but it amounts to you had better go get it now. Just got the thing out of the shop on Monday and he know I been on him all week. I really don't like lending my lawn mower and especially to people I don't know anything about. Now its 2:40pm and the yard still is not cut and no signs of him or the lawn mower. Am I making too much of a big deal about this or I just need to calm down ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
The reason why I'm really upset with my 20 year old son right now is because my lawn needs mowing pretty bad. I been on him all week about getting that done because my lawn really needs it and it looks the worst of the yards all around me. I been on 12 hour night shifts this week 7:00pm to 7:00am, so when I get home its off to bed for me. Since I'm off tonight until Monday, I got everything out and ready for him to do the lawn before I went to bed and I also spoke with him and let know that everything was ready and he needed to get that done this morning. I got up around 1:00 and the yard still looks like nobody lives at 181. So, I asked what is going on with the yard and why its not done or at least started yet. He lends the lawn mower to his friend 4 houses down the street, so I really cant believe what I'm hearing from him. I asked him to run that by me one more time and he said his friend wanted to use it right quick and said he will bring it right back. I wont say what all I told him but it amounts to you had better go get it now. Just got the thing out of the shop on Monday and he know I been on him all week. I really don't like lending my lawn mower and especially to people I don't know anything about. Now its 2:40pm and the yard still is not cut and no signs of him or the lawn mower. Am I making too much of a big deal about this or I just need to calm down ?
Loan out his ipad, or his game system, or something equally important/expensive to him. He'll get it.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:11 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Your son is an adult. Tell him that if he can't respect your property and our rules it is time for him to find his own place. He isn't a child anymore.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Loan out his ipad, or his game system, or something equally important/expensive to him. He'll get it.

If this is the first time that this happened I would suggest calming down, but if it is a big problem perhaps he is ready to move out and be responsible for his own chores/rent/utilities.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Good idea and he do have an ipad.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:48 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
Maybe your son is real tired from all the work he's been doing lately? You say he's 20 so he must have a hard labor intensive job while he's attending college, right? Sounds like you need to give the hard working future Physicist a break. He was probably at the library late working on a project with his lab partner from school. Lighten up a little bit.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:51 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I get why you are upset, but you have to BREAAAAATHHH. You sound like you are close to a heart attack.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Is your son typically lazy or incompetent? Is he overall a good kid? Is this part of a pattern of screw-ups?

If he's an overall good kid who does what you ask most of the time, then you need to dial it WAY back. Good people sometimes have lapses in judgment. This was not a huge one. It is also highly fixable. The biggest drawback will likely be that your lawn won't be mowed as quickly as you would like. A few more hours, or even a whole *gasp* day, won't make much difference. If the mower ends up damaged, then you make his friend pay for the repairs and make your son pay for a service to come mow your lawn until it's fixed.

So relax. Focus on enjoying your weekend and be glad you have a son to take care of your yard work. I'm spending my whole weekend moving dirt around and aerating the lawn.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:23 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Neighbors help out neighbors, at least in my world. We borrow, they borrow, it all evens out.

Tell your son to get the lawn mowed this weekend, and let it go.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Is your son typically lazy or incompetent? Is he overall a good kid? Is this part of a pattern of screw-ups?

If he's an overall good kid who does what you ask most of the time, then you need to dial it WAY back. Good people sometimes have lapses in judgment. This was not a huge one. It is also highly fixable. The biggest drawback will likely be that your lawn won't be mowed as quickly as you would like. A few more hours, or even a whole *gasp* day, won't make much difference. If the mower ends up damaged, then you make his friend pay for the repairs and make your son pay for a service to come mow your lawn until it's fixed.

So relax. Focus on enjoying your weekend and be glad you have a son to take care of your yard work. I'm spending my whole weekend moving dirt around and aerating the lawn.
Overall he is a pretty good kid and at times he came be very lazy and other times he is cleaning everything. He only have classes on Tuesday and Thursday so he is at school most of the day on those days. He had a part time job but was let go for not showing up on time. I always leave chores for him to do inside and outside because there is always something to be done and he have to earn his keep while in school. I also have a pretty good idea that his girlfriend is spending a lot of time at the house, especially when I'm on night shifts. He finally got back with the lawn mower around 4:30 today and started on the yard and I could tell he was drinking something. After I cool off we will be having a serious talk, what he did today and his nonchalant attitude about it was a first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships