Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Drop-In Visitors?
I'm under 40 and prefer to be called the day before. 51 15.94%
I'm under 40 and prefer at least an hour's notice. 50 15.63%
I'm under 40...drop on by anytime. 12 3.75%
I'm over 40 and prefer to be called the day before. 109 34.06%
I'm over 40 and prefer at least an hour's notice. 62 19.38%
I'm over 40...drop on by anytime. 36 11.25%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times

Advertisements

Personally id rather have friends who always show up at inopportune times rather that friends who never want to come visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Personally id rather have friends who always show up at inopportune times rather that friends who never want to come visit.
You sound like a fun extrovert, I am a bit more private, since in my sales capacity I get paid to socialize which is fun, because then I waive and close the door on my neighbors.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 PM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times
You forgot the "Don't come over unless I invite you" option.

My parents said my grandmother used to show up unannounced and walk right in without even knocking. That really bothered them, so they don't ever go anywhere unless invited.

I think they instilled that upon me, subconsciously. I would never show up unannounced to anyone's house, ever.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
You sound like a fun extrovert, I am a bit more private, since in my sales capacity I get paid to socialize which is fun, because then I waive and close the door on my neighbors.
Actually im an introvert for the most part. However, even sitting at home staring at the walls talking to yourself gets old after a bit.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,193 times
Honestly when I was younger in my early to mid 20's I did not care at all, people would drop by anytime to crash.... to talk.... to eat, my place was party central, now I am in my late 30's I do like to be called before anyone comes but its still not a big deal, It also depends on the person. I like to at least know if I can walk around naked or need to put on some clothes!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
Honestly when I was younger in my early to mid 20's I did not care at all, people would drop by anytime to crash.... to talk.... to eat, my place was party central, now I am in my late 30's I do like to be called before anyone comes but its still not a big deal, It also depends on the person. I like to at least know if I can walk around naked or need to put on some clothes!
Close the curtains.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 PM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
I know, my parents are in their 50s and are pretty active. The further we go the less old 50 gets, maybe I should have said 75. I'm actually looking forward to becoming an old, weird man. I don't want to be one of those old people who keeps chasing youth, I'm going to embrace my oldness.
Yes I am past fifty and early retired ,so I spend spare time keeping fit and feel I could do most anything I could do 10 years ago. I worked a part time job with a man that was 80 years old. He did all the things the rest of us did and sometimes faster , including carrying 8 foot tables. It's all a matter paying attention to your lifestyle and age and adjusting your activity level to it. People used to slow down when they got older but the trick is to speed up and stay engaged. I agree it is much better to embrace ones age, it makes sense and is far more dignified than the other route.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
How do you feel about drop-in visitors...and what is your age group also so that we can see if there is a difference in opinion from age group to age group?

Personally, I don't like drop-in visitors. I think it is common courtesy to call first to see if it is convenient for someone to come by. I guess that is just the way I was raised. How about you?
I'm 71 and I don't mind people stopping in without calling. It rarely happens but is usually someone I'm glad to see. I grew up, in and out of family and friends homes, all the time. Nowadays I don't mind people coming over but I won't do it. I will always call first to find out if they are home, feel up to company or just have time. If not I'll try another time.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:04 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I am 35 but even when I was 18 I did not like visitors without notice. Actually I am not a fan of people inviting themselves over in general unless they really need something.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:08 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I'd almost prefer a drop in to having to prepare and straighten up for guests. It's no big deal to me.

My husband, on the other hand, gets a little anxious at impending visitors, so IMO it's still best to drop by unannounced. Less stress.

I'm over 40.

But I'm a relatively polite person, so I contact friends before visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships