Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Lots of glittering generalities. No one scenario fits all situations. You are judging these folks, that you say you know.

You have mentioned several of these situations..Maybe you need some more productive friends, if you see this in a negative light..or some acceptance that what others do, and a reminder that as long as it is mutual it is not really your concern.

Sounds more to me like you are writing a term paper and looking for support for your hypothesis.
Sounds to me like you're judging me and you know NOTHING about me. Maybe you need to become more productive if you see this in a negative light... or some acceptance about what others choose to do, and a reminder that as long as it's not a subject that appeals to you, then what I choose to start a thread about is really not your concern.

This is no term paper assignment. It's called "conversation" on a "forum" about something that I've noticed in the RW and was interested in other people's opinion who may have experienced or is familiar with a similar situation(s). Why a few posters like yourself choose to respond only to "judge" me or berate my observations instead of going to a thread that is more to your liking is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
I have a friend that has come out of retirement for the third time to fund a daughter's FOURTH degree, as she keeps racking up totally useless degrees that don't excite the job market (and we are in Houston, where that is difficult to do! You have to be creative to dream up majors that junky). Unfortunately, this time will fare no better. In the meantime, he is over 75 and has gone through a lot of their retirement, financing the never-ending tuition bills. It's expensive for parents to fund a student-for-life. She is now over 35 and has never worked.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
People only become doormats when they volunteer for the position.
Not sure that is true at all. Many people can be manipulated into a positions - either intentionally by others or through simple happenstance - often before they even realise it themselves - that they can then see no way - or sometimes just no easy way - to get back out of.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:00 AM

26 posts, read 47,833 times
@cheryjohns

Being a truly good parent takes leadership and helpful guidance when truly needed and observed. Buying into bad behavior, or overtly supporting poor decisions by participating in them is symptomatic of a brand of co-dependency not true parental leadership.

Parental leadership is not about "following".....at any age.

A truly good parent's role is not to form a "partnership" with their children....at any age.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:18 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
I'm against adult children mooching off parents.

If adult children live at home and are not mooching off parents, I don't have a problem with that. That means they need to be contributing *their share* to the household, IMO, or they need to be in school for their *first* Bachelors degree, *first* Masters degree, etc. and taking it seriously or it needs to be a very temporary situation.

Not all moochers live at home.

I know a woman in her 40s (yes, not a typo) whose father makes every excuse in the book for why she just can't get a job. She doesn't live at home, but he pays for much of the cost of her house and most of her and her children's expenses. It would be one thing if her fathers attitude was "she needs to be doing all this for herself, but since she won't, I will." I certainly wouldn't agree, but to each their own. But he actually goes on and on about why she "can't."

Old 06-14-2014, 08:42 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
I guess it's their call. They brought the "kids" into the world, what with whatever they passed on to them with their DNA.

If their kids have some issues (mental or physical or emotional or relationship-wise), and it's genetic, the parents are partly to blame or accept.

At the end of the day it's up to the parents to decide; do they want their children on the street or do they want to accept that they were part of the "child" they brought into the world.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Part of is is due to lack of jobs and the jobs that exist don't really pay living wages. Unless someone studies STEM in college chances are they won't be making enough to move out on their own.

Last edited by s1alker; 06-14-2014 at 08:56 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,147 times
I've got a brother (late 30's), divorced, with a 8 year old son, living at my near 70 year old parents house and he's been there for 6 1/2 YEARS NOW! He doesn't work, is aggressive/defiant to my parents, MAKES my parents take care of HIS kid (because he's too lazy to get out of bed and do it, plus too broke to pay for anything); which is literally sucking the life-health-happiness out of my two parents. The worst part is that they enable it!

They pay his bills, put a roof over his head, his kid's head, pay for all the food his insurance, pay for his cell phone, for a car whenever my brother's junker-of the-week breaks down or gets ticketed/towed away, allow his self pity-parties (all fake/all for show/as it's convenient to his agenda) to get in the way of NORMAL JUDGEMENT and they let him stay!!!??

There are 5 of us brothers in the family, the rest of us are all doing FINE and have been since we left high school, except this one. My own wife & son NEVER get to see their grandparents (we live 4 miles from them), as they're too busy catering to my above mentioned, mooching, lazy, useless brother & taking care of HIS SON. It's pathetic. I don't talk to ANY OF THEM anymore. I had to put my foot down and cut them ALL OFF, as the last 6 1/2 years of watching this B.S. has driven me insane & I just don't care anymore.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:26 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
[/b]

I agree with this....
So many 20 something year olds living at home still with their parents....It's failure to launch.
The "kids" are not motivated to achieve any independence or get a real adult life going;
I say the parents in those situations have failed miserably.
I'm 25 and live with my parents but only out of absolute necessity. You have to remember that ALOT of graduates came out school in the middle of the recession with virtually zero job prospects. That being said the only choice these people have is to move back home.

I'm definitely no mooch and hate living with my parents....especially after living on my own for 2 years. But circumstances have made it so that it was my only option. Anyways, I will be leaving soon and hopefully NEVER returning.

I do somewhat agree about making "kids" not motivated. I have other adult siblings at home and they could use a little kick.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:32 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDCONK View Post
I've got a brother (late 30's), divorced, with a 8 year old son, living at my near 70 year old parents house and he's been there for 6 1/2 YEARS NOW! He doesn't work, is aggressive/defiant to my parents, MAKES my parents take care of HIS kid (because he's too lazy to get out of bed and do it, plus too broke to pay for anything); which is literally sucking the life-health-happiness out of my two parents. The worst part is that they enable it!

They pay his bills, put a roof over his head, his kid's head, pay for all the food his insurance, pay for his cell phone, for a car whenever my brother's junker-of the-week breaks down or gets ticketed/towed away, allow his self pity-parties (all fake/all for show/as it's convenient to his agenda) to get in the way of NORMAL JUDGEMENT and they let him stay!!!??

There are 5 of us brothers in the family, the rest of us are all doing FINE and have been since we left high school, except this one. My own wife & son NEVER get to see their grandparents (we live 4 miles from them), as they're too busy catering to my above mentioned, mooching, lazy, useless brother & taking care of HIS SON. It's pathetic. I don't talk to ANY OF THEM anymore. I had to put my foot down and cut them ALL OFF, as the last 6 1/2 years of watching this B.S. has driven me insane & I just don't care anymore.
If that were my bro I'd literally go and beat the hell out of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships