Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:03 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,602,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I attend a LOT of catered events with my job, and I have seen it all.

Most people are considerate and don't go crazy, but I have known people who camp out by the buffet and eat their fill. I guess if it's bad enough that people notice it, it's pretty bad.

It's easier to do with appetizer-type food, but with food like pizza that comes in pieces you can count, no one wants to take "the last piece."

The only real peeve I have in this situation is one peer who regularly packs up food for her husband to eat at home. Or if we are having a dinner meeting with "box lunches" ordered in, she will take a box for him.
That's pretty rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
I attend a LOT of catered events with my job, and I have seen it all.

Most people are considerate and don't go crazy, but I have known people who camp out by the buffet and eat their fill. I guess if it's bad enough that people notice it, it's pretty bad.

It's easier to do with appetizer-type food, but with food like pizza that comes in pieces you can count, no one wants to take "the last piece."

The only real peeve I have in this situation is one peer who regularly packs up food for her husband to eat at home. Or if we are having a dinner meeting with "box lunches" ordered in, she will take a box for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That is ridiculous! No matter if you have 10 employees and order 10 box lunches or have 50 employees and order 50 box lunches, how in the world does your co-worker justify "stealing" a box lunch or food for her husband? Hasn't anyone ever confronted her about her behavior?
Quote:
No, we are on the upper end of the org chart, so not many would feel comfortable calling her out.

But some have joked that her husband might as well be on the payroll.
The fact that she is an executive makes it even worse. First of all she should have much better manners and second she probably makes enough money to buy food for her husband.

If, for example, it was the underpaid cleaning lady or student intern that took home a little left-over food after everyone had their fill it would be different but an executive. That is so wrong!

Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,276,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When you are stuck at a conference center in the middle of nowhere it can be pretty inconsiderate when you are left without a lunch (most organizers now ask participants to list if they are vegetarians but it isn't unusual for more people to take the vegetarian option because it looks fresher or healthier).
Amen! I'm gluten intolerant. If all that's offered is pizza, I'm S.O.L. And when I'm traveling for business I'm usually the one running the on-screen computer, so it's not like I can run out and get something to eat. I travel with protein bars, but they only hold you for so long. (But I also make an effort when possible to ask ahead what the lunch options will be and to request a salad, if necessary. That helps avoid the situation, but it still happens on occasion)

Old 06-12-2014, 03:40 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
We are in a Regus office and Regus had pizza from Pizza Hut delivered. When I went in there, I noticed people were just grabbing a piece or two, likely out of trying to have enough for everyone, but there was more than an ample amount.

Do you take less than you'd normally eat if food is catered to try and be nice?
At first I take a small amount to make sure everyone gets some. Then I go back for seconds if everyone has had some and there is still plenty left.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:00 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
We are in a Regus office and Regus had pizza from Pizza Hut delivered. When I went in there, I noticed people were just grabbing a piece or two, likely out of trying to have enough for everyone, but there was more than an ample amount.

Do you take less than you'd normally eat if food is catered to try and be nice?
A piece - or two if I was really hungry - is all I would take, no matter who paid for it.
How many slices do you grab?

Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,985,456 times
Yes, because I am considerate of others and I don't want to appear to others as a food hog, take more than you can eat, inconsiderate, desperate vulture.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
im more the hyena - will clean up after the initial buffet

Old 06-12-2014, 05:35 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,243 times
this is whole etiquette and social class issue.

generally, the senior partners and executive types get first pass at the food available.
second wave is the white collar types
third wave is the blue collar maintenance/engineer/hands-on types
if there's any food left over, (typically this is the dry bagels and cookies and cake stuff), the secretary types will be flagging down randoms in the hall "would you like some CAKE???" because nothing can be saved and it's just going in the trash.

you need to be very careful about the social faux pas of jumping ahead of your caste in line. Like the hyena must wait for the lion, the line manager must wait for all the VPs. Oh happy day, when the temp was told it was OK to grab a plate. His permanent offer must be in utero

WITHIN your social caste, some people like to put on appearances, acting like they don't eat too much.
YES there are shameless people who will take double and triple plates to have free dinner tonight and pack a free lunch tomorrow.

One of the great satisfactions of being a workout fiend, is to politely decline, except for maybe a little plate of watermelon, cherry tomatoes/red flame grapes, carrots and raw broccoli, because it looks fresh - No cake for me.

Oh, and if you ever get to be on the set of a movie - "Craft Services" - ZOMG that's 'catering' on steroids. I know why it takes $100M dollars to make a good movie.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,276,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
this is whole etiquette and social class issue.

generally, the senior partners and executive types get first pass at the food available.
second wave is the white collar types
third wave is the blue collar maintenance/engineer/hands-on types
if there's any food left over, (typically this is the dry bagels and cookies and cake stuff), the secretary types will be flagging down randoms in the hall "would you like some CAKE???" because nothing can be saved and it's just going in the trash.

you need to be very careful about the social faux pas of jumping ahead of your caste in line. Like the hyena must wait for the lion, the line manager must wait for all the VPs. Oh happy day, when the temp was told it was OK to grab a plate. His permanent offer must be in utero
I'm glad I don't work where you do! That sounds way too complicated. LOL!

Old 06-13-2014, 04:33 AM

813 posts, read 1,273,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Amen! I'm gluten intolerant. If all that's offered is pizza, I'm S.O.L. And when I'm traveling for business I'm usually the one running the on-screen computer, so it's not like I can run out and get something to eat. I travel with protein bars, but they only hold you for so long. (But I also make an effort when possible to ask ahead what the lunch options will be and to request a salad, if necessary. That helps avoid the situation, but it still happens on occasion)
Same for us. Like you, we travel with protein bars. Still, I get people that will make the comment, "Come on, one piece won't hurt."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships