Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times

Advertisements

So at the last family gathering everyone wanted to meet the new husband of one of my wife's sisters, Dave. They had met through the personal ads and had only dated four months before getting married. He had been married three times before and brings six children from previous marriages who are living with him to join the three kids my wife's sister brings.

He is no Mike Brady and I suspect the kids of this huge blended family are going to get along as well as the Brady Bunch. (The 1970s TV Show)

What really left an impression on me is how unfriendly the new husband (Dave) was at the event to introduce him to the extended family. Many people tried but could not get much more than a couple of words out of him. He works in sales so it is not a case of him being shy. He is incredibly good looking and self confident and makes lots of money and has quite the LinkedIn page.

So after the event my wife's elderly mother asked me, "So what do you think of Sue's new husband Dave?" How should I respond and how should I interact with Dave in future events?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 07:04 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
May be overwhelmed with new in laws.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks of him -- not your spouse, lol.

It is likely he felt awkward, examined and out of place.

I would simply say, if so queried, that I haven't had enough conversation with him to form an opinion.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So at the last family gathering everyone wanted to meet the new husband of one of my wife's sisters, Dave. They had met through the personal ads and had only dated four months before getting married. He had been married three times before and brings six children from previous marriages who are living with him to join the three kids my wife's sister brings.

He is no Mike Brady and I suspect the kids of this huge blended family are going to get along as well as the Brady Bunch. (The 1970s TV Show)

What really left an impression on me is how unfriendly the new husband (Dave) was at the event to introduce him to the extended family. Many people tried but could not get much more than a couple of words out of him. He works in sales so it is not a case of him being shy. He is incredibly good looking and self confident and makes lots of money and has quite the LinkedIn page.

So after the event my wife's elderly mother asked me, "So what do you think of Sue's new husband Dave?" How should I respond and how should I interact with Dave in future events?
Tell the truth.

Continue to be yourself. If that's not good enough for Dave then so be it. I wouldn't go out of my way.
Sounds like he may be standoffish off the job...

Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. I fear your sister made a big mistake, judging from the guy's track record, so just hope for the best and don't add to her burden.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. I fear your sister made a big mistake, judging from the guy's track record, so just hope for the best and don't add to her burden.
My did my wife's mother ask me what I thought about Dave if she didn't want a true honest answer? I have to assume that she asked me the question for honesty not political correctness.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:11 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm in favor of the truth but a "no comment" response is perfectly fine. A made up one just to be nice is not.

For many people money is the most important thing in a relationship. I do not know what it is like but I have heard of people being addicted to money and power.
I suspect this is the case here...

Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Yet another thread in the same tired old vein from the indefatigable OP. I rather doubt that your mother in law (who must be in her mid to late 80s) would ask your opinion about anyone in the family given your intense dislike and criticism of every single one of 'em.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:28 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks of him -- not your spouse, lol.

It is likely he felt awkward, examined and out of place.

I would simply say, if so queried, that I haven't had enough conversation with him to form an opinion.
A perfectly graceful response. I have a couple of in-laws where it took years to be really comfortable with each other. I wouldn't make any snap judgements, and certainly wouldn't voice them this early in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Yet another thread in the same tired old vein from the indefatigable OP. I rather doubt that your mother in law (who must be in her mid to late 80s) would ask your opinion about anyone in the family given your intense dislike and criticism of every single one of 'em.
I'm not sure what your point is, in commenting on every single thread of a poster you have such disdain for.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Perhaps he's read your posts on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships