Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,592,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My did my wife's mother ask me what I thought about Dave if she didn't want a true honest answer? I have to assume that she asked me the question for honesty not political correctness.
You seem a little old not to have learned this yet (not meaning to sound snarky - just surprised) . . . but you don't have to answer every question posed to you.

Best to remain non-commital when it comes to family members, especially new ones that no one knows well. That is common sense. Things get repeated and if not repeated, the people you said them to often remember those comments and they can end up telling the person more about you, than about the other person in question.

Always best to be gracious and non-commital when it comes to family -- especially with one's MIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,231,681 times
Haven't you ever had to deal with unfriendly people before?

Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,225,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Show him all of the threads you have posted here and wait for his reaction!
Ding! Ding! Ding! Best post of the day and it's only morning. I am shining up the trophy cup now.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,457,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So at the last family gathering everyone wanted to meet the new husband of one of my wife's sisters, Dave. They had met through the personal ads and had only dated four months before getting married. He had been married three times before and brings six children from previous marriages who are living with him to join the three kids my wife's sister brings.

He is no Mike Brady and I suspect the kids of this huge blended family are going to get along as well as the Brady Bunch. (The 1970s TV Show)

What really left an impression on me is how unfriendly the new husband (Dave) was at the event to introduce him to the extended family. Many people tried but could not get much more than a couple of words out of him. He works in sales so it is not a case of him being shy. He is incredibly good looking and self confident and makes lots of money and has quite the LinkedIn page.

So after the event my wife's elderly mother asked me, "So what do you think of Sue's new husband Dave?" How should I respond and how should I interact with Dave in future events?
Just stay home. I seriously doubt anybody really wants to hear what you think.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,457,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Yet another thread in the same tired old vein from the indefatigable OP. I rather doubt that your mother in law (who must be in her mid to late 80s) would ask your opinion about anyone in the family given your intense dislike and criticism of every single one of 'em.
Exactly. I'm sure the question was directed at the wife, but the OP probably barged in.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,354,759 times
I would say he appeared a bit overwhelmed by everyone the first time meeting him.
I might also add that maybe next time a smaller gathering would be a good idea so
it will be easier to get to know him a bit better.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 AM

22,648 posts, read 47,828,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks of him -- not your spouse, lol.

It is likely he felt awkward, examined and out of place.

I would simply say, if so queried, that I haven't had enough conversation with him to form an opinion.
Seriously.
I would have felt all that and extremely overwhelmed.
Cut the guy some slack.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,807,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Just stay home. I seriously doubt anybody really wants to hear what you think.
I thought after the last family get-together debacle (not even counting the many before so religiously documented) when he and his wife decided not to take the trip, these family get-togethers were finally over and done with for them. I guess the need for more thread fodder prevailed and thus the sadomasochistic cycle continues.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,447,399 times
The new BIL may not want to get to know his wife's family, for whatever reason. Perhaps he sees himself on a different plane, and was making small commentary so as to go along with his new wife's wish to introduce him to her extended family. Some people simply do not want to be involved with the extended family; rather, they prefer to control the company that they seek, friends, associates, and/or immediate family, especially if said person has success in their career. Just because one marries one's sibling or in-law does not mean that they have to be instant friends, and an open book, with the extended family.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 AM

670 posts, read 1,046,230 times
I think he felt like he was being judged by everyone...which he was. It sounds like it was kind of a larger family gathering, and he was very uncomfortable. I think he just decided to shut down. I know I would be very uncomfortable in that situation. You should have started out with a small gathering...just 3 or 4 people and slowly introduced him to your other siblings and relatives.

It was mentioned that he was in sales, so he is not shy. Sometimes people can act outgoing at work and seem rather introverted in their personal lives. He might prefer small gatherings. Maybe invite your sister and new BIL to dinner or meet up for a drink and try to get to know him that way. I think he will open up then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships