Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:06 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times

Advertisements

Here's the scoop: one of my best friends from college is getting married to an awesome woman who I met last year when he traveled basically across country to check out this neck of the country and visit me. So naturally I would travel cross country back to see him, and go up and down the east coast to see other friends who migrated there. In a heartbeat, 99% of the time barring a few things ... like severe illness (and even then if it was life threatening I'd go do it anyway because if I was gonna die well ... travel list time), family death/marriage, and birth of my own kid.

Which, ironically, is exactly why I'm debating not going. My wife is currently pregnant and by the time their marriage rolls around, she will be exactly 34-35 weeks pregnant. And we'd have to travel cross country in an airplane or by train. And as it turns out I already took about a week off work to go to my brother's wedding earlier this year. And I only get two weeks vacation per year, plus some sick time.

I guess I could take FMLA but that is unpaid and I don't think I could afford it.

So ... two questions really:
1) Is it unreasonable to say I'm not going to my friend's wedding under the circumstances?
2) Would it be a "compensation prize" to go out and visit them next year when the kiddo is say 6-9 months old and we're comfortable taking him traveling?

What would you all do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 12:20 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
Neither #1or#2 is unreasonable.
Any true friend would understand and be happy for you.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
I think it's perfectly acceptable to miss the wedding.

Send them a nice gift and let your friend know, ahead of time, that your household is getting ready for a new arrival, so you can't make the wedding, but you are very happy for them and lookforward to seeing them in the future...with your new sidekick.

They should have no problem with that.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Agreed. If this is a true friend he will understand. Your wife probably won't be allowed to travel that late in her pregnancy.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:36 PM

83 posts, read 75,151 times
I agree with everyone else. If I were him, I'd totally understand.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
It is reasonable. My husband's own sister missed our wedding because she was 30-something weeks pregnant. It sucks, but there are no hard feelings. I think a visit at a later date would be nice.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:50 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
It is not only reasonable, it's a no-brainer. Your friend will understand when you explain. Babies do not always arrive on schedule and your wife could deliver anytime from several weeks early to a week or more late. I don't think her doctor or the airlines would let her fly anyway, but no way I would ride a train or plane for more than an hour at that point. It's not really plausible for them to expect you to go by yourself and possibly miss the birth of your own child, so it's simple. I'm sure they would love to meet your little one, so plan a trip for all 3 of you after baby is 6 months old or so.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:16 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Your wifes dr would probably be against her traveling cross country at that stage in her pregnancy. She could give birth at any time.

If your friend is a real friend, he would understand. I think visiting next year is a great idea!

I do understand how people are about traveling for weddings and then having others not travel for theirs.... folks just will have to get over it!

Old 07-05-2014, 01:21 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
If your wife isn't having any serious problems with the pregnancy, you may want to just fly out for the wedding by yourself, then return home the next day?

But either of your questions are reasonable.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Neither #1or#2 is unreasonable.
Any true friend would understand and be happy for you.
absolutely right. pregnant wife near delivery date comes first and foremost. best friends are second. send a nice gift, and note explaining why you cant make it this year, and let him know that you fully intend to visit next year so he can meet your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships