Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 PM

726 posts, read 1,230,139 times

Advertisements

I think you want to go to the wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 02:13 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,426,988 times
Op, I think you are leaving some details out. Are you supposed to be the best man or a groomsman? If so, you should probably go without your wife. Is there someone who can look out for her while you are away? Would the couple be willing to change the wedding date if you couldn't make it? Is this your first child?

Old 07-05-2014, 03:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
Your friend will understand you not going. In fact, he won't even be thinking about you on his wedding day.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:38 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,858 times
I don't think your friend would realistically expect you to show up when your wife is 34-35 weeks pregnant. I'm not even sure your wife's doctor or the airline would allow her to fly. Send your friend and his bride a nice gift now, and visit next summer when it would be much safer for your wife and the baby. Maybe consider sending a message to someone in the wedding party to be read as a toast to the bride and groom at the reception.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:14 PM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
I missed my cousins wedding and my SIL's wedding due to both of them being around my due dates. Nothing much you can do, being pregnant means you can't do everything.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:18 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
I think that you should go to the wedding without your wife. If I was your wife, I would want you not to miss the wedding of one of your best friends in college. Even if you weren't a best man or groomsman, I think that you should be there. Just book a plane ticket and go for the weekend.

Just because a couple is married, doesn't mean that they have become siamese twins and attached at the hip. His wife might enjoy having some private time to herself. It could be a good time to spend some quality time with her mother or other family or best girlfriends... especially before the baby is born.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,431,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Here's the scoop: one of my best friends from college is getting married to an awesome woman who I met last year when he traveled basically across country to check out this neck of the country and visit me. So naturally I would travel cross country back to see him, and go up and down the east coast to see other friends who migrated there. In a heartbeat, 99% of the time barring a few things ... like severe illness (and even then if it was life threatening I'd go do it anyway because if I was gonna die well ... travel list time), family death/marriage, and birth of my own kid.

Which, ironically, is exactly why I'm debating not going. My wife is currently pregnant and by the time their marriage rolls around, she will be exactly 34-35 weeks pregnant. And we'd have to travel cross country in an airplane or by train. And as it turns out I already took about a week off work to go to my brother's wedding earlier this year. And I only get two weeks vacation per year, plus some sick time.

I guess I could take FMLA but that is unpaid and I don't think I could afford it.

So ... two questions really:
1) Is it unreasonable to say I'm not going to my friend's wedding under the circumstances?
2) Would it be a "compensation prize" to go out and visit them next year when the kiddo is say 6-9 months old and we're comfortable taking him traveling?

What would you all do?
Miss the wedding.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:22 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,103,614 times
my sister in law had her baby in another state because she traveled for a wedding and ended up going into labor and had the baby in that citys hospital . She was none too happy with my brother and blamed him for the entire fiasco as she put it at the time . He wanted to go so bad to his college room mates wedding that he also insisted that she go along . So No I think if you want to go then you should go without your wife . stay for the wedding but leave immediately afterwards .

Old 07-05-2014, 04:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
I'd kick my husband's a$$ if he even entertained the idea of leaving me for a weekend while I was nine months pregnant!

Old 07-05-2014, 04:53 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,999 times
I wouldn't be upset if my husband wanted to go to his BFF's wedding and I was 34/35 weeks pregnant. I'd want him to go -- because it would probably be the last chance for him to kick back and relax with his friends before he is responsible for another human being. :-)

Ask your wife -- if she's ok with it, then go for the weekend -- not for the extended "victory tour" up and down the coast. If she's not ok with it, that pretty much settles it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships