Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:24 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,520,472 times

Advertisements

So I am 20 and I never really made any friends where I was from in community college. I plan on going to Community college in Nevada sometimes later and I would like to know how do you make friends there? most of the people there that I have noticed were too pre occupied with their own schedule or have already made friends and don't really want to talk to me very much. I would like to know what did you do to make friends there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
I didn't attend community college, so my experience making friends in college really won't be helpful. We lived in the dorms together and involved in the same extracurriculars.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I was in my 40's when I went to college and I sat in class, participated, talked to my classmates who were basically the same age as my children, joined them for lunch or they joined me, worked on homework together at the library, chatted, laughed, complained, etc.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:17 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
When I was in college many years ago I lived in a dorm and we hung out in the study lounge a lot and my room mates and I used to keep our door open and it was a really good way to get to know everyone on our floor. I was also in a fraternity and we were running the bars a lot but this was before the drinking age was raised to 21.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know what did you do to make friends there?
- Join at least two activities of your choice - don't overload yourself! But let's say that there are pickup volleyball games in the gym on Tues & Thurs evenings from 7:00 - 8:00 and you love playing volleyball. Go to those and then maybe find a weekend activity that meets for a few hours on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Go to that, as well.

- You will most likely run into like-minded people in your class. Say something like, "That was a really could point you made about X. Could we go have coffee in the student union and discuss it further? I'll buy." Try to do that with different people several times a week. Be sincere! You wouldn't have to use that exact phrase. And you can ask either men or women for coffee. The point is to get to know more about people. Some will be nice but not really your type. That's okay! Just keep chatting with people until you build a small social circle.

These are just two ideas! The main thing is not to wait for invitations. Get out there and do things.

It's a little harder in community colleges because there are more working adults who are hurrying off to jobs, but keep in mind that you are all in the same boat and even busy people can find time for a cuppa with friends.

And if you get a few "Sorry, no . . . no time" . . . keep asking. It may take a few days.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
You may join clubs of interest or through curiosity.
Many classes should involve group projects and research.

I played lacrosse thus had pockets of really good buddies from the team and our audience's various so friendships elapsed.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,474 times
I'm in community college now. I'm still trying to figure out that make connections with people.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 PM

128 posts, read 201,784 times
I really didn't , depends , if you just click with some people and they stay friends, most people act like they don't need friends.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:13 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Join a fraternity, if possible. There was a new fraternity formed at my college towards the end of last semester, and I feel like it will be the one of the best decisions I ever made in my life by deciding to join. Each person so far has a good work ethic, fun to be around, and just generally awesome.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:44 PM

121 posts, read 176,926 times
It is really hard to make friendships in community college. It is so transient in nature. If there are any clubs on campus, that is a good way. If you decide to go to a 4 year university afterwards, you will have an easier time making friends especially by joining one of the many clubs that they usually have or if you live on campus. In the meantime, you might want to check out meetup.com and see what clubs are available in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships