Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

In the spirit of this thread, I found this video just now. The girl is clearly not in any condition to celebrate due to some heartbreak. I think the family needed to respect that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixTaV7prKYI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 01:31 AM

477 posts, read 801,039 times
No. Not to say I get nothing on my birthday. I don't "celebrate". As I would a holiday or huge event. We usually go out to eat and get a simple dessert, because with me, my husband, our children, and my sister and her kids, and my mom it's a big group. I don't want some huge cake making the kids hyper and that we have to drag home and slop down for days. Birthdays do seem silly to me for adults. For children, it's great to see their joy and spoil them. For adults, it's excuse to be pushy and demand things people are obligated to buy you. I also have very low tolerance for people who act like the whole week, or month , should be like festival all about them. My husband is like this and so is his family. Thankfully, we're rarely in FL (where they live) on my birthday or I would run away. While I do love him and want him to be happy on his birthday, his whole "It's my birthday!!!!/My birthday is coming!!!!" gets me very anxious on his birthday. Thankfully, our children seem to get distracted by other things during the time approaching their birthday. I understand milestone birthdays, but I don't get it besides those for adults.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
I had my birthday party till I was 21. Since then I was not interested in parties. Instead of that I used to go the children orphan houses and spend time with them. Feel what they feel. And donating my hair to cancer foundations, sponsoring kids for studies that sort of things I done on my birthday. Since I become a mother I am celebrating my daughters birthday, some times with her school kids and family members, it is up to her to celebrate or not when she is big enough to decide on her own.
What a kind things to do. Gives me ideas.

You know, reading this thread makes me wonder if the people who want huge celebrations have large families. It's pretty easy to do a huge party when your family is small. It's very hard, especially on the wallet, when every month there's a birthday (or more) every month of the year (including December) or two people share the same birthday.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
HECK YES!!! I have a party every year too....thank you GOD I'm alive.
Perhaps he might find your thankfulness more credible if it was more than just an annual event.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:01 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
In the spirit of this thread, I found this video just now. The girl is clearly not in any condition to celebrate due to some heartbreak. I think the family needed to respect that.
I agree, they needed to respect her and leave her alone. How many times must someone ask to be left alone before they are?

No means no!

Last edited by winrunner; 09-13-2014 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I wouldn't quite say celebrate, but there is always something. It may be a drink, a bite to eat, a movie, a little outing with a family member, friend, neighbor.

My mother used to tell me that I should give her a gift on my birthday because mine (I) was a difficult delivery. We laughed about that every year, for many years.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wouldn't quite say celebrate, but there is always something. It may be a drink, a bite to eat, a movie, a little outing with a family member, friend, neighbor.

My mother used to tell me that I should give her a gift on my birthday because mine (I) was a difficult delivery. We laughed about that every year, for many years.
I'm always surprised birthdays aren't treated that way. I mean, it's your mom who did something. Not you. Birthdays seem silly to me. I've also noticed, not to turn the thread morbid, a lot of people die on or near their birthdays.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:30 PM

85 posts, read 121,305 times
My family has always insisted that I celebrate my birthday with them. I comply, because I have no choice. If I say no, my parents throw a fit and drama always starts and I have to be in the middle of it all, trying to calm everyone down. My birthdays have always been highly stressful, so I never even enjoyed them as a child. I don't like being the center of attention.

Once I move out of state, I would love to just treat myself to a quiet, elaborate dinner at a high-class restaurant.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:37 PM

105 posts, read 111,000 times
DH always gets a gift and the kids make cards or other trinkets, and (at my DD's insistence) we have a little cake. Thennn DH makes my SIL babysit and we enjoy a nice romantic dinner out. Sometime we spend the night in a nice hotel.

So I wouldn't say I celebrate it myself, but I'm grateful enough to appreciate my husband and kids' thoughts.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:01 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
I used to celebrate birthdays like they were a big thing.
But when I turned 25, or 26, it just got to that point that I finally grew out of it.

I'll get occasional birthday wishes via FB and from people I know via texts and such.

But even then that day feels like just another year has gone by.

The real things that should celebrated are life-changing events like getting a different job, finally graduating from college, paying something big off,. etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships