Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:18 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times

Advertisements

[quote=Meemur;36382300]

<snipped>

Sometimes I think life would be a lot easier if I were clueless or drunk . . .

<snipped>

/quote]

I've often thought there is a lot of truth to a line from a Thomas Gray poem: Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times
In my younger days, I've alienated several peers because of the way I talked. I'm a minority, and grew up in the "big city"; I didn't use a lot of street terminology ("Sup"; "Yo, bro"; etc) My peers used to say that I "talk proper", or I "talk like white", I guess it was just my upbringing and educational background. Even when I was in college, ppl told me that I "sounded white". Color has nothing to do with decency. Never did, never will!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:32 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Well...I could see a person running into one or two people who were bitter enough in their own lives to not be friendly to someone who was extremely attractive or intelligent or wealthy or whatever other characteristic that person might be jealous of...but....the premise the OP laid out was this:

Anyone here suspect they are friendless because they are attractive, smart, etc?

If a person has not one friend (ie "friendless"), then it is probably not because everyone else is just jealous.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:35 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
There's a certain kind of woman who's convinced that other women don't like her because they're jealous of how pretty she is or how much male attention she gets. That's generally not why people don't like her.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Anyone here suspect they are friendless because they are attractive, smart, etc?

If a person has not one friend (ie "friendless"), then it is probably not because everyone else is just jealous.
Yep!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:57 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Give me a break.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:21 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
No. Study after study shows the situations you describe above would be very unlikely.

"Handsome men earn, on average, 5 percent more than their less-attractive counterparts (good-looking women earn 4 percent more); pretty people get more attention from teachers, bosses, and mentors; even babies stare longer at good-looking faces (and we stare longer at good-looking babies)."
http://www.newsweek.com/beauty-advan...our-life-74313

There are personal, financial, and even health benefits to being good looking.
Studies Show The Advantages Of Being Beautiful - Business Insider

A PhD in psychology, who is a professor of comparative human development, evolutionary biology, and neurobiology at the University of Chicago, writes, "I fly frequently and at some point I began to notice that the passengers who sit in First/Business class seem better-looking than those sitting in Economy. This applies to individuals of both genders and of any age, including children and people in their 70s."
The truth about why beautiful people are more successful | Psychology Today

Dateline NBC ran a hidden-camera episode that asked the question "Do Looks Really Matter?" The results speak for themselves.
Do looks really matter? - Dateline NBC | NBC News
And it is those types of studies that feed directly into the negative presumptions people have about attractive people. It makes it easier for people already predisposed to compete with others and judge them negatively to conclude an attractive person didn't get that job because they deserved it.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Excellent post!

OP, people don't dislike you because your attractive and smart, or at least think you are. When group after group of people dislike you, it's you.
Btw, I wasn't talking about myself.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:32 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Every group of people has a subset who doesn't have good social skills. Smart people, dump people, good looking and bad looking.

As to the OPs original question, no. While you may not think of yourself as intelligent or attractive, you obviously don't come across to others as personable, approachable, friendly, and genuine. Those are the real qualities that draw friends, regardless of people's intelligence or beauty.
Yeah but there's a reason that the age-old story of social exclusion is the nerd being shoved into a locker on a daily basis and beaten up for their lunch money or homework. Unless that's just another one of society's biases against "smart" people, in which case still proves my point.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Give me a break.
I sense you have an alternate take apparently I'm not smart enough to hear?

That's okay. Usually when all people have to offer is a negative assessment they know they can't back it up with a substantive argument.

What kind of break do you need? A break from reading other people's threads and being an ass? Yea, we can all use a break from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships