Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 04:03 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,319 times

Advertisements

IMO only poor people and those that are small minded think that way. People who have plenty of money don't give a care about what kind of car their neighbor drives or how big their co-workers homes are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 05:31 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
The Joneses are deep in debt.

Stop Keeping Up With The Joneses - They're Broke

Old 09-07-2014, 05:51 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Oh gosh...where do I begin?

I have a nephew who drives the newest, costliest wheels I have ever seen. He's not talking to me right now. Over dinner recently at my brother's house, I asked this kid if he knew what I thought, each time I pulled up at a light next to a car like his. He replied, "You figure that guy's got lotsa money!". I answered, "No, I figure he's up to his axe in debt!". He was shocked, then angered.

Living in New England, I run into this stuff all of the time. It can happen anywhere, but I think it's more prevalent in the northeast and California. It affects all age groups. A friend of mine is about to retire, or thinks he is. He has a wife 20 years his junior. He's ready to pack it in, get back to basics, and live a low-key life on his reduced income. His bride, still in her early 40's, is just ramping up "the good life" for herself, squandering money on clothing, concert tickets, and pricey restaurants with her girlfriends. All her income (and she hates her job) goes to pay credit card bills.

It's sad to see this. Who's going to win here? Who's going to lose?
Wow! It's scary seeing this happen to people. I want to feel bad for them when something bad happens, but it's really hard to do that.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^^I just noticed that I made an error in my first line. I did not mean to place "what is the point" in that first line....
it was late and I didn't proof read it. Anyway, my remark was intended to praise what your mother said.
We all can go back and reflect on some of the things we bought (and I too am not a shopper) and feel some purchases
were mistakes. But back to the topic, I knew so many people who bought things not because they needed them
but to "keep up with the Joneses" and then lament to me (secretly) that they were in debt or short of money for the
week or month.

I actually understood what you meant from the rest of your post.

We have friends who continue to be broke all the time but they are driving that brand new vehicle and they all that brand new furniture and we just tell them we hope they enjoy it.

We have a modest home that we rent and we rent because we currently do not want to be tied in one place because we have not decided where we actually want to stay long term. Many factors are holding up this decision.
Anyway, we live as we live, old dog, old furniture, older vehicles but we own everything we have and are hoping to soon not own as much stuff as we own.
I look forward to garage sales and donation days.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM

176 posts, read 180,883 times
We never tried to play the "keep up with the Joneses" game.. but we were more of the typical American family and had a fair amount of debt, 2 car payments, etc. About 6 years ago our church offered a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace course and we were tired of feeling like we were living paycheck to paycheck when we both had good jobs (IT for me and Engineering for my wife). We had also just had our first child with all the new expenses that come with that, so we signed up and went through the course.

Within 1.5 years we paid off and sold the time share we stupidly bought into, paid off both cars, and paid off all our credit cards. My coworkers thought we were nuts when we sold our Accord and traded up to a mini-van.. but paid cash for a used one so we wouldn't have a monthly payment. At this point our only monthly debt payment is our mortgage and I could never go back. It requires more dedication and planning to budget expenses and wait to buy things, but there is a a sense of accomplishment after saving a couple months for a new TV instead of just running out and buying it on credit without knowing if you can really afford it.

Not to mention it also put us in a place where my wife could quit her job after our second child and be a stay at home mom

Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Facebook has made such thievery pandemic.

Test it out!

Put all of your vacation plans and/or pics on Facebook, then watch it --or something similar-- get replayed over and over again on Facebook. Yeah, people really are shameless.

But those thieving arse holes--- that think they've gotten away with ripping your plans/life off--- really have not.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the real deal. Just look at, or ask them about, their pre-Facebook days and travel history.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:03 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,676 times
Yes, an entire family I know actually. We're talking $30-$40k in credit card debt, bc everytime there is a mark on their couch, it's "damaged", so they run out and buy a new one. They replace perfectly working computers (meanwhile they don't even know how to work their emails lol) bc it's "running slow." So the morons will run out and drop 2k on a top of line computer so the wife can sit on her ass all day and take virtual tours of the homes in her neighborhood, bc she has no life.

If one sister has the newest kindle, the next day her husband has to buy her the next model up, and of course charge it on their CC which they owe thousands on. Another family member leases expensive cars, like hummers, having their kids co-sign for them, then defaulting on payments, so now they have a kid whose credit is shot and they are not even out of college. One year they had their entire savings account wiped out by the IRS lol. They also take fancy cruises around the world, and then hit up other family members for cash to make it through the month. These are also the same type who go on and on about all the "stuff" they have, obviously trying to overcompensate for something they are lacking in their life and seem REALLY insecure, while I just sit there nodding my head doing an inner eye roll.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:15 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Yes, an entire family I know actually. We're talking $30-$40k in credit card debt, bc everytime there is a mark on their couch, it's "damaged", so they run out and buy a new one. They replace perfectly working computers (meanwhile they don't even know how to work their emails lol) bc it's "running slow." So the morons will run out and drop 2k on a top of line computer so the wife can sit on her ass all day and take virtual tours of the homes in her neighborhood, bc she has no life.

If one sister has the newest kindle, the next day her husband has to buy her the next model up, and of course charge it on their CC which they owe thousands on. Another family member leases expensive cars, like hummers, having their kids co-sign for them, then defaulting on payments, so now they have a kid whose credit is shot and they are not even out of college. One year they had their entire savings account wiped out by the IRS lol. They also take fancy cruises around the world, and then hit up other family members for cash to make it through the month. These are also the same type who go on and on about all the "stuff" they have, obviously trying to overcompensate for something they are lacking in their life and seem REALLY insecure, while I just sit there nodding my head doing an inner eye roll.
Wow!!!! You know you have SERIOUS problems when the IRS is after you. And who drives Hummers anymore?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
. And who drives Hummers anymore?
People who bought them prior to May 2010 when Hummer went out of production.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:15 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Sometimes people are 'keeping up with the Joneses' not because they are jealous or feel competitive with them, but USE The Joneses as an excuse to buy things they really just want for themselves.

Although I have noticed that with men and technology, there is def. a peeing contest to one-up other men.

My ex is very insecure and therefore feels he needs the latest things to fit in (and attempted to teach our kids the same). He still makes fun of me for choosing to live modestly, partially because he likes to rub it in that I chose to be poor instead of stay with him and be more comfortable. He has no idea that none of that ever meant anything to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships