Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:57 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

I think some of the things you do are... odd. Mostly the traffic things. Turning one way then trying to u-Turn around. hat sounds crazy. No offense, not like seriously crazy.I can't say I've ever been that annoyed because someone wants to turn left. I don't think "wtf, you could have made that..."

But the apologizing thing? STOP. NOW. Tht is crazy. Over ONE coupon? Really? STOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 02:02 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
Germans, Japanese and Scandinavians have similar obsessions about not being annoying to others.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think some of the things you do are... odd. Mostly the traffic things. Turning one way then trying to u-Turn around. hat sounds crazy. No offense, not like seriously crazy.I can't say I've ever been that annoyed because someone wants to turn left. I don't think "wtf, you could have made that..."

But the apologizing thing? STOP. NOW. Tht is crazy. Over ONE coupon? Really? STOP.
No the left turning thing is a big deal, at least where I live and work. If you don't feel like you can safely pull out and turn left, people start to drive up your butt, honking and cursing at you. I don't act like that, but I do get silently annoyed at people who seem to just be waiting and waiting when I know I could have pulled out safely. I start to think "Who the hell do you think you are? why are you entitled to be in my way, holding other people up?" I just don't want to hold up other people and act like I think I'm so special that I can hold them up all day.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:20 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Germans, Japanese and Scandinavians have similar obsessions about not being annoying to others.
I'm about a quarter Swedish and a quarter German. Hmmm.....

Old 10-06-2014, 02:41 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
--If I have a lot of items and someone gets behind me with just a few, I let them go ahead.
Yes, because I hope to get the same treatment someday. Its self serving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam
--If I am driving and have to turn right into a store or parking lot, I make sure I get the hell over as fast as possible and turn as quickly as possible, because I hate being behind a slow-right-turner.
That's because people who make slow right turns ARE annoying.

Quote:
--If I am pulling out of some place and have to go left on a two-way road, and there are other cars behind me and I can't immediately turn left, I will switch my signals and turn right instead and then later do a U-turn to go the way I wanted to go.
Sometimes it is faster to do this.

Quote:
--If I'm in a waiting room like a car repair place or doctor's office, and I'm stuck sitting next to other people, I don't put my arms on the arm rests of the chair, because I totally hate when other people do that and make me feel crowded.
Same here - but I do it because I don't want to feel crowded personally.

Quote:
--If I need to get on an elevator, I wait for the door to open and stand back several feet so people can get off.
That is what normal people should do.

Quote:
--Similarly, if I am waiting to use an ATM, I stand back a few feet so the person using the machine doesn't think I'm looking at their account info or their PIN.
Again, that's that normal people should do. Most of these things are common courtesy - a few are a bit eccentric (ie apologizing at a self checkout or cash registers for taking longer or not using coupons).

Old 10-06-2014, 02:53 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
I, too, try to be considerate of others. That said, I think you are going overboard with some of the items on your list.

For example:

I see nothing wrong with using coupons. You shouldn't be afraid to use them either. Just make sure that the coupon hasn't expired and that you are buying the correct item. These days, coupons get scanned rather quickly. There is no need to apologize to anyone if you have a few coupons.

While I agree with standing back when waiting in line to use the ATM, sometimes that can backfire on you. For example, once I was in a line to use the ATM and the guy in front of me was taking forever. I craned my neck just to see if the machine was broken. It turned out that he was making several complicated transactions. When he was done, he turned to me and said "My mother taught me to not read other people's business" (Or something like that). I just looked at him and nodded sympathetically because, at first, I didn't know what he was talking about.

Once I got in line for the ATM and a guy in front of me was making several business deposits. When he had a problem with some of them, I spoke up and said to him "It would be easier if you just went to the teller." He agreed and left the machine. I figured he would go to the teller since there was no line. But no---right after I finished my transaction, he went right back to the machine. Yes, I found this annoying as I would never hold up the ATM line when a teller was available for something like he was doing.

As for having to make a left turn when there isn't a break in the traffic---I have no problem waiting and don't worry about others also waiting behind me. I'm not going to risk an accident by getting into traffic too soon. That said, sometimes I will make a right turn instead only because it's easier to go in the other direction and turn around later.

I think it's great that you are so considerate of others but...IMO, you are being so hard on yourself!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:53 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
Your purposeful and obsessive attempts to not be annoying irritate me. (I'm kidding! )But seriously, you should just try to chill out and not worry about it so much. I guarantee that even if you spent 24/7 trying to think of everything possible that may irritate others in order to avoid doing so, there would still be some crank somewhere who would find a reason to be annoyed at you. It's not the end of the world.

And I do get where you're coming from- stuff annoys me all the time, too, and I don't want to irritate others. I don't overthink it, however. I adhere to basic courtesy (golden rule style), but hell if I'm going to rush around all paranoid because some stranger may be in a huge hurry. Let's face it, life is fast-paced these days and it's easy to get caught up in a nervous rush of activity. That still doesn't make it your problem if someone is super-impatient behind you in line or on the road.

You can be courteous without feeling the need to apologize for not zooming through everywhere you go as fast as possible just in case some jerk feels his/her time is more important than everyone else's. It is nice that you want to be considerate of others, but it seems that you are taking it to an extreme that makes you obsessive and paranoid about it. Give yourself a break and be considerate, yet relaxed. I think that your life will be less stressful if you do.

Last edited by Gfab1; 10-06-2014 at 03:16 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 02:55 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Lilac, Yes! Wow, I think I just had breakthrough there! Yes, I hate when people "do #2" at work because it's so inconsiderate, and I would NEVER do that to other people. This is the first time I saw that in the framework of what I posted above, my being motivated to not annoy people or "inflict myself" on them.

And if you remember correctly, I was very clear that I'm not "holding" anything. I just time it for when I'm home. There is no discomfort. I also tend to hold in sneezes too because I get disgusted by other people who sneeze all over the place. I wish at least a few other people were as considerate as I try to be.
I just saw this^ Seriously? Sometimes you just have to go

Old 10-06-2014, 03:00 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I make sure my posts on C-D aren't so long that other people don't bother reading them

Old 10-06-2014, 03:09 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
- Once in a great while if I do have a really good coupon to use, maybe in Petsmart or something, I apologize a lot to the people behind me, and say that it's just one coupon and I would never use multiple coupons, and I'm so, so, so, so, sorry.
Quote:
-- If the machine screws up and makes me call over the attendant, I apologize profusely ("Oh my God, I'm so so so so sorry...") to the people behind me and tell them it's the machine and not me.
I seldom get annoyed but a stranger profusely apologizing to me for a non-event would do the trick. Thank goodness it's rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships