Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:54 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times

Advertisements

Half sister

^^A link to the OP's other first-world problem^^

You really need to move out and make a life for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:19 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I can't live like this anymore. My dad tries to control us, he goes to bed at 10:30 every night and tries and gets us all to goto bed, so because the computer is next to his room we have to turn it off. He starts these ridiculous rules all the time like turning off lights after we leave room, closing the kitchen door, clicking lights on and off until they come on and so on.

He just started another new rule which is that we can't use the toaster beneath the cupboard. :roll eyes: When I am in the shower he will go upstairs and turn off the water heater and then about 5 minuets later start nagging me like heavens to get out, then he will turn the stove on until we are all sweltering when its 11c outside. He's always whining about bills but to me I just think 'well if you can't afford this house then sell it', the house is 3,500 feet which is quite big for UK so its very expensive to run but thats not my fault.

I don't think I can cope with this nonsense. Its the fact that he keeps making us do what he wants, its all about him and nothing else matters. He's very childish and if he doesn't get his way then it makes a big tantrum like a child. He has a clapped out car and keeps using my mums Audi to goto church and if he doesn't get that he makes a big tantrum then aswell, we used to have an expensive car but he sold it 'because if we've got one we don't need another' a yeah so you can just use of someone else's facility that they worked for.

On the other end I have issues with him telling people what I say, I always say to him that I don't want him to tell the people what i'm saying and then the next moment i'm sitting in their house and he just sinks me and tells them exactly what I said. There seems to be a lot of snitching in his family, I added them all on Facebook and they snitch on me ringing him up telling him what I write and watching my every move. So now i've added them all to private. Its annoying that I can't even go on Facebook and write whatever I want without my OWN relatives snitching on me.

Also me and my mum would love more holidays. He had plenty of money for holidays but he spent it all (on him) again on a plane that no one is going to use, we would've got some amazing holidays out of them money but instead now we are being told we can't go this and this place because of his stupid plane.
Ugh, someone please help me with this control freak!!
So move out. That's what you get when you live under someone else's roof.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
As a parent, you live in my house, you obey my rules. You don't like it? Move.

When you are self-supporting, you can b*itch and moan about your father's rules from your own home.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:41 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
If u wanna go on a holiday, get your own money and go. ...

Move out. Your Dad sounds a bit cheap and annoying, but nothing that is that out there that I'd consider it abuse, just annoying, so u either just suck it up and deal with it, or u get a job, save ur money, move out and go on holiday all you want, sister.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:04 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Unlike the others, I sympathize a (tiny) bit. Many parents like having their adult kids around so they can treat them like children indefinitely. The same parents are usually the ones who were obsessed with "house rules" instead of homework when the kids were kids. That said, the only real solution is to move out. Dads aren't known for changing their personality.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Luke! I am your father! <heavy breathing> Turn off the lights and shut down the computer. Go to bed.

He sounds like a typical parent to me. Everyone already told you to move out so I won't say it. On second thought... Move out!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:41 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Half sister

^^A link to the OP's other first-world problem^^

You really need to move out and make a life for yourself.
Don't forget that he can't stand his younger sister either.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:56 PM

118 posts, read 157,408 times
You sound a bit like my kids did in their teens, they had so many better ideas of how my household should be run. They kept trying to make it into a democracy when in reality it is a monarchy and I am the queen, since I earn the paycheck.

They now are college graduates and married with their own households and continually express amazement at how hard the job is.

I would recommend that you take all your pent up energy that you are directing toward your Dad and read a bio of Ghandi or someone great like that and learn how your attitude influences how you perceive everything. I think you'll feel much calmer toward your Dad. And your life will become more rewarding and content. Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:31 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Get a job and move out. It's up to your dad and mom to decide how to spend their money. You don't get a say in it.
This. It's a cold, cruel world out there. Living with rules at home is harder than working your behind off for a jerk of a boss and paying endless bills, believe me. Be grateful that your parents care enough about you to allow you to live with them and set some limits.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Um...please tell me this isn't real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships