Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Being In Love View Post
So once upon a time i had family but now I don't because they were abusive + other issues. I have a sister nearby in NJ but I can barely ever find her and she's on coke real bad and she had her babies taken away by the state. So yeah, no TG with her!

So what do people with no families do on TG and Christmas? I'm always bored and don't have nothing to do and nowhere to really go. I have friends and roommates but they go w/ their families. I dont normally get invites, probably because 1.) I'm not family and 2.) there might not be enough food. So that's out.

I could cook my own holiday meals but I would have to cook a whole bunch bc that's how they sell that stuff. No point in cooking for twelve if it's just me and my dog.

I wouldn't mind going out to a restaurant but if you want a holiday type meal it gets too expensive $$$. I could get Chinese but meh, I like Turkey and stuff.

For Christmas I normally just go to the movies but was looking for something new to do. Any suggestions?
I always worked the holidays so those with family could be free to go and spend the day with them.
I still had thanksgiving dinner to a degree for myself or myself and my Husband.
We would either go out and find a single person or a couple single people in line at the buffet and ask them to join us at our table or we would ask a few elderly couples if they would like to share a table or if we didn't go out we get a smaller turkey breast only and I put it in the slow cooker, boil a few potatoes, make gravy, corn and dinner rolls and have the neighbors over.

FYI: If "they" is the grocery who sells stuff for 12 you are not shopping properly.
There are items in the grocery in small enough portions for one or two people in almost every department of the grocery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:33 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Maybe someone said it and I missed it but maybe consider hosting an "Orphan Thanksgiving Dinner" for other people that you know in the same circumstances if you can and like to cook. A woman at work did this every year and being half a continent away from family and new to the area it was much appreciated and we always had a great time. We went every year and brought food along to add to the meal.

I get that you might not have a family connection and the plain fact remains that those of us that were raised in marginal, or even worse yet, bad circumstances, might have a hard time connecting to other people and making real friends. Been there and therapy has helped a great deal in that department.

Other ideas others have suggested already. Also you don't have to cook the traditional meal. We grill steaks or ribs and seafood. (Surf and turf.) Come back to the thread and let us know what you might be able to do.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:52 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
I would cook whatever I felt like.. Why buy a turkey when you could have steak, or prock chops, or cornish game hens... U don't have to buy large items for the holidays....

Heck, I love burgers and would be happy with a couple of those.....

Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
How about making a Cornish game hen with stuffing for yourself? That way you don't have to cook a whole turkey or chicken. The Pepperidge Farm stuffing is really good (better than Stovetop). I use that and add onion, celery and pepper.

If I were you I'd cook a meal for myself and rent movies and make it a self-indulgent day for myself.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:37 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't believe it is. I've had that problem myself before, when I lived in Montana. Also, not everyone is blessed to have tons of friends or a supportive family. Those who do should be grateful that they have those people in their life. My mom is dead, my dad is a flake and and living in India, my grandmother is 90 years old and due to longstanding extended family issues caused by my deceased mother, who she now lives with, I can't visit with her this year. My sister is very religious and because I am not and she doesn't agree with me having a relationship with a woman, she doesn't want me around her religious friends. Gf's family lives thousands of miles away, so we don't have them to spend the holidays with either. I would have had a Thanksgiving of just one myself, had I not met my gf a few months ago.

Before I met her, I didn't consider myself a party of one anyway, just one human. I have two Great Danes who are always there for me, and I am there for them as well. Had I been alone, I would have made something and shared it with my two doggies. A lot of people are adrift and alone in society. Anyway, we got a recent invitation to spend Thanksgiving with a neighbor, which made us very relieved. Otherwise, I would have tried my hand at making a ham for just the two of us, which probably would have succeeded, since I am a decent cook, and can follow directions when I am not the mood to be stubborn

Your grandmother lives with your dead mother?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:51 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Being In Love View Post
So once upon a time i had family but now I don't because they were abusive + other issues. I have a sister nearby in NJ but I can barely ever find her and she's on coke real bad and she had her babies taken away by the state. So yeah, no TG with her!

So what do people with no families do on TG and Christmas? I'm always bored and don't have nothing to do and nowhere to really go. I have friends and roommates but they go w/ their families. I dont normally get invites, probably because 1.) I'm not family and 2.) there might not be enough food. So that's out.

I could cook my own holiday meals but I would have to cook a whole bunch bc that's how they sell that stuff. No point in cooking for twelve if it's just me and my dog.

I wouldn't mind going out to a restaurant but if you want a holiday type meal it gets too expensive $$$. I could get Chinese but meh, I like Turkey and stuff.

For Christmas I normally just go to the movies but was looking for something new to do. Any suggestions?
It's just my husband and me -- but I cook what we want. So no stuffing. I look for a turkey breast. (No one likes dark meat -- not even the cats). And a lot of places have turkey breast quarters. Easy to find, and smaller. Dinner for you, yummy for pup and a sandwich or two.

Years ago we got into watching cheesy movies on T-day. We still like it. We just relax and enjoy ourselves.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
If you like to cook - get one of these little turkeys and freeze the rest.

Help at a soup kitchen.

Go to Chinese restaurant (you will be surprised how many people are there at TG).

Get an extra shift at your job (you are a waitress if I remember right) your coworkers will like you more for doing so

Reconsider your friends.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Just because they weren't issued to you at birth doesn't mean you can't find a new "family". Around here we call them a "hanai" family or "calabash cousins" and they're even better than the family you started out with because you get to pick them out yourself.

It might be a little late to start this year since Turkey Day is getting pretty close, but find some other folks who don't have traditional family around for whatever reason and invite them over for Thanksgiving dinner. We traditionally get about three families and anyone else nearby together for a dinner and croquette game on Thanksgiving day. We rent a pavilion at the local beach park so nobody has to do a lot of clean up and everyone brings their favorite Thanksgiving day dish so everyone has their favorite dish. We've had as many as fifty five folks at the dinners before, but this year it will probably be smaller since a lot of the folks have moved to the mainland lately. We'll find out on Turkey Day, though. It's a big pavilion with room for up to seventy so there will be room for whoever shows up.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:27 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Doh View Post
Find new/more friends. There are always events on meetup.com if you'd like to be with people.
That's what I will do when and if I get to be in that situation. I would put out a notice on meetup to see if anyone wants to get together for Thanksgiving either to cook or dine out at a restaurant. You'd want criteria so you don't end up with the local serial killer or a leech who can't pay his or her own way, of course.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:42 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
A couple of years I was alone, and it was quite nice. I ordered a dinner for two from the local market... complete dinner with all the fixings, got my favorite drink, movies, and a jigsaw puzzle. It was quite relaxing, no one spazzing over the gravy, no one in the way in the kitchen, NO FOOTBALL, just peace and quiet.

Leftovers lasted me all weekend.
That was one of the best parts of getting divorced. Never again do I have to waste my holiday with idiots glued to the television watching that stupid game. And watching December's rent go to the bookies. And then having to drive home a drunken idiot in a bad mood because he lost so much money on the games. I guess I'm just un-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships