Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:07 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Being In Love View Post
So once upon a time i had family but now I don't because they were abusive + other issues. I have a sister nearby in NJ but I can barely ever find her and she's on coke real bad and she had her babies taken away by the state. So yeah, no TG with her!

So what do people with no families do on TG and Christmas? I'm always bored and don't have nothing to do and nowhere to really go. I have friends and roommates but they go w/ their families. I dont normally get invites, probably because 1.) I'm not family and 2.) there might not be enough food. So that's out.

I could cook my own holiday meals but I would have to cook a whole bunch bc that's how they sell that stuff. No point in cooking for twelve if it's just me and my dog.

I wouldn't mind going out to a restaurant but if you want a holiday type meal it gets too expensive $$$. I could get Chinese but meh, I like Turkey and stuff.

For Christmas I normally just go to the movies but was looking for something new to do. Any suggestions?
One can shop at one's local supermarket and find food appropriate for one person for any holiday in the USA.

Between the internet and broadcast/over-the-air TV (meaning one doesn't need cable TV) there are plenty of things to watch and keep oneself occupied during a holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 01:16 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
Not having any family, I worked every holiday in a patrol car for 40 years. Now that I'm retired, I intend to do volunteer work at a homeless shelter. Afterwards, I'll have a home cooked meal and watch a Laurel & Hardy marathon.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:18 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's what I will do when and if I get to be in that situation. I would put out a notice on meetup to see if anyone wants to get together for Thanksgiving either to cook or dine out at a restaurant. You'd want criteria so you don't end up with the local serial killer or a leech who can't pay his or her own way, of course.
Wow, I do not think I could take a leap like this. Way too risky for me! I'd rather spend Thanksgiving alone, and I have a few times. Last time was 2012.
A cousin who lives about 2 hours from me invited me over this year. Last year I drove to NC to visit a friend.

Quote:
That was one of the best parts of getting divorced. Never again do I have to waste my holiday with idiots glued to the television watching that stupid game. And watching December's rent go to the bookies. And then having to drive home a drunken idiot in a bad mood because he lost so much money on the games. I guess I'm just un-American.
I tried to rep you for this but couldn't. Too bad on the lost money. From what you wrote in the past it sounds like you were in a terrible marriage.

I agree with you 100% on American football - it is a stupid game. This part also made me laugh.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Surely the OP has a good friend or two and can wrangle an invitation. We're always inviting people who are alone to our holiday dinners, which are really an eight-ten hour party that degenerates into our watching football, smoking cigars, shooting pool, and using a slingshot to fire frozen Brussel sprouts into the nearby river (Don't ask. It's a weird tradition, but a fun one). Given that nobody ever leaves after the meal itself, that tells me that everybody has a great time.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:24 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Your grandmother lives with your dead mother?
I can't believe you would ask her such a morbid question like this.

I took to mean she lives with her extended family.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:41 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
If i were ever to be alone on a holiday like thanksgiving or xmas....I'd seriously do this.

Buy some weed.... get in three or four good movies...buy a whole bunch of amazing food and just enjoy the hell out of my day smoking pot, gettin high, napping, eating, watching movies, napping again, eating, relaxing.

ugh, if only!

Old 11-14-2014, 02:05 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
That was one of the best parts of getting divorced. Never again do I have to waste my holiday with idiots glued to the television watching that stupid game. And watching December's rent go to the bookies. And then having to drive home a drunken idiot in a bad mood because he lost so much money on the games. I guess I'm just un-American.
That has nothing to do with being married to a football fan. That was all about being married to an irresponsible arsehole. Don't blame the football.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That has nothing to do with being married to a football fan. That was all about being married to an irresponsible arsehole. Don't blame the football.
Exactly. Auburn plays Alabama that weekend!

Old 11-14-2014, 03:06 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
If i were ever to be alone on a holiday like thanksgiving or xmas....I'd seriously do this.

Buy some weed.... get in three or four good movies...buy a whole bunch of amazing food and just enjoy the hell out of my day smoking pot, gettin high, napping, eating, watching movies, napping again, eating, relaxing.

ugh, if only!
Actually...forget the meetup idea. I'd go with this.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
A couple of years I was alone, and it was quite nice. I ordered a dinner for two from the local market... complete dinner with all the fixings, got my favorite drink, movies, and a jigsaw puzzle. It was quite relaxing, no one spazzing over the gravy, no one in the way in the kitchen, NO FOOTBALL, just peace and quiet.

Leftovers lasted me all weekend.
Quote:
Truer words were never spoken. I can't stand that stupid game either. My gf loves it and she tried to get me into it last month when the Cowboys were playing the Texans. I did my part and watched it with an open mind (and I have a couple times before also) in an attempt to grasp why she and many others like it so much, and I have no clue at all. Fortunately, she doesn't force it on me and only watches it on DVR when I'm not home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships