Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:48 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times

Advertisements

Try sleeping through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 04:19 PM

76 posts, read 215,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Obviously spend it with friends.

If you are estranged from family and have no friends, I think the problem is probably a bit bigger than where to spend the holidays.
Wow. Snark. What an interesting and ignorant response to someone who has had to go through the emotional nightmare of going 'no contact' with an abusive family. As if it were her fault. As if it's not as if those people 'are dead' to her for her own survival. The ignorance of criticizing someone like that is stupefying.

Not everyone has friends who are close enough to ask to spend the holidays with them. Maybe she should just be thankful that she is no longer in contact with people who are as abusive as anyone who would write such a comment appears to be.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:24 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
You can go somewhere the day before & get a nice meal takeout that you can eat on the holiday. Something like Boston market, This year it is just me & hubby, so we will go to the local diner & get the senior TG special. See what places are open in your neighborhood. Enjoy your own tradition.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:28 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Being without family and close friends to celebrate with on the holidays certainly isn't the worst thing that can happen to a person, and it doesn't necessarily mean that they're an anti-social hermit either. As for "what do you do/eat on the holidays?", my answer would be "whatever I want to".

Old 11-22-2017, 03:58 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'll probably go to a shelter.
Easy search around the net that it's common knowledge the worst day of the year to volunteer is Thanksgiving. Often the volunteers on this day can be overwhelming to the staff already in place.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:01 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Try sleeping through it.
This is exactly what I did last year. This year will be the same....

Old 11-22-2017, 04:49 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I'll be alone this Thanksgiving. There is no "rule" that you have to cook a feast. I AM going to cook myself dinner and it will be a simple roast chicken and some vegetables. I've never been one of those people that stuff themselves at Thanksgiving.

As far as boredom? I plan on spending the day with some educational pursuits and multiple walks for exercise.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:14 AM

76 posts, read 215,086 times
Just ran across this, with a bunch of great suggestions: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/marga...b_1120974.html

Old 11-22-2017, 10:47 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I'll be alone this Thanksgiving. There is no "rule" that you have to cook a feast. I AM going to cook myself dinner and it will be a simple roast chicken and some vegetables. I've never been one of those people that stuff themselves at Thanksgiving.

As far as boredom? I plan on spending the day with some educational pursuits and multiple walks for exercise.
Being 79, I've had so many thanksgiving feasts and even turned some down at a church potluck, so much sickening foods that people stuff themselves with.

Many don't have family and close friends to spend that so called day with so learn to be alone. My neighbor who is 90 and is alone, her sons are back East and she has low income and does not go out for dinners...buys a can of cranberrie sauce for her big day....

These holidays put so much pressure on people and it's just TOO BAD.... what some people put themselves thru, good grief....they can have it.

Reading some stories from others on these boards about the stress of it all...not for me.

I'm going to an early dinner at a local restaurant with 2 girlfriends and keeping it simple. Otherwise I would have bought some chicken and cooked a sweet potato and opened a can of cranberries....

Take care .

Old 11-22-2017, 07:09 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Cranberry sauce IS the best part...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships