Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:36 PM

378 posts, read 704,939 times

Advertisements

My family lives across the country, and that's just my sister, so my past few Thanksgivings have been a small Thanksgiving dinner with one of my best friends. His parents always go away from Thanksgiving so he and I just have a relaxing time with us and our dogs. I actually make the turkey. The past couple of years another friend has joined us. This year we've rented a cabin in the mountains for Thanksgiving weekend. We have sort of made it our own "family" Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 07:37 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Every year I politely turn down one or more of your invitations by saying that I have "plans".

Actually that is how it is supposed to work without any bitterness for the invite. If you prefer to stay home or your own agenda/company for the day those of us that host "orphan" events would prefer that you don't attend out of any sense of obligation. Nothing worse than a bad, better than the proceedings, bored, or entitled guests. The invite is for people that prefer some company and community on a normally "family" holiday, not a plot to force people to join in.

My family/friends are all "over" the turkey, the overeating, the football, the parades so this is our second year traveling to a southern beach town and a rented villa with a private pool/hot tub, shrimp on the grill, easy times. No drama.

BTW, I never make anyone cook when I host guests, nor do I ask for dishes to be brought being a person that loves to cook and is good at it. If someone brings a dish I serve it but I never ask, ever. IMO that is being a bad host.

Lighten up folks!

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 11-17-2014 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Oh, things like this:

Austin Sub Sandwich Shop - Thundercloud Subs

Old 11-17-2014, 03:35 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I think it's just the 'idea' of being with family during the holidays. It's compounded with the commercialization of the holidays that pushes this false ideal. So everyone starts feeling a little anxious if they don't have family to spend it with.

I would rather have the holidays for my husband and I to travel once in awhile, but I know both sides of the family wouldn't forgive us and would show it in passive aggressive ways.
Passive aggressive, what fun!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:32 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Do you travel? Spending a holiday in another festive place could be fun. I would LOVE to spend Christmas in New Orleans one year!

as someone who grew up living within an hour and half driving distance to NO I must ask you,"WHY???"

Old 11-17-2014, 08:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
A group of us with no family used to gather together and pick a restaurant. We always had a blast.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I'll probably go to a shelter.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:29 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Obviously spend it with friends.

If you are estranged from family and have no friends, I think the problem is probably a bit bigger than where to spend the holidays.
That's not fair and does not apply to all.

My family is all dead, my kids and ex-wife were killed in a car accident years ago. The job I had until I retired a few months ago, limited the number of people I would associate with, and for many years I was moving from state-to-state or even to other countries. And the job was not what many would consider to be a job where friends are made.

The friends I do have live far away, the closest is about 500 miles while most are over 1500. So for TG and Christmas, I get big juicy steaks, a packaged salad, a good movie and sit and eat while my Malamutes goes crazy with the smells. Before dinner, the dogs get a nice long walk, but that happens every day so it is not a big thing.

There are many people in this world without family and without any local friends. That does not denote they have a problem like you assume.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:17 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I'm probably going to spend most of Thanksgiving weekend working on a final paper for grad school, if I'm not invited somewhere. My mom wanted to come to DC for thanksgiving but I was honest and told her I'd rather have her here for Christmas when there is no assignment hanging over my head.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
It doesn't cost that much to buy a box of stovetop stuffing and a few slices of turkey. If the OP were to fix her own meal, despite the fact she sounds to lazy to do anything on her own behalf, then she and the housemates could have leftovers for days.

But her problem seems to come from the fact that she's let herself become socially isolated and doesn't know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships