Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times

Advertisements

I'm on here because I'm bored and there's so many weird topics that are fun to read.

I don't generally ask for help or advice, though, because there are at least as many (if not more) snarky posters who seem to see people asking for advice as someone to rip into as there are nice/helpful folks who have positive suggestions to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 09:35 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
I'm on here because I'm bored and there's so many weird topics that are fun to read.

I don't generally ask for help or advice, though, because there are at least as many (if not more) snarky posters who seem to see people asking for advice as someone to rip into as there are nice/helpful folks who have positive suggestions to offer.
Yes the weird topics are fun! I even get a kick out of spammers, not for the spammers, but for the comments they get. I'm always a little sad when the forum moderators shut the thread down too soon, LOL

I don't mind snark toward the people who deserve it. I feel bad when people get attacked for no reason at all.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:45 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
I originally joined because I was moving and wanted to learn about my new location.

I enjoy reading some posts and at times think I can contribute a comment that may actually help someone or just make them laugh.

Sometimes I enjoy reading about the train wreck!

Old 12-07-2014, 09:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
I'm stuck in suburban purgatory for the time being and bored out of my skull.

Yep, it's really that simple and pathetic.

However, I've "met" some really awesome people here and am glad for the experience. Not sure if I'll be on here much once I move to a more exciting part of the country where all my "real life" buddies are, but for now, it keeps me from going batcrap insane.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:59 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
@LoriBee62
Yeah, when referring to snarky people I'm thinking mostly of the "thread-killers" you mentioned in another thread. The only people who deserve the snark, IMO, are those who start s*** with someone out of the blue, or those who clearly are posting inflammatory troll-bait. Not someone who asks a goofy or stupid, but innocent, question if they're sincere. It can be annoying to see some of the rather obtuse questions that are sometimes asked by people here, but I don't like people who threadcrap.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
@LoriBee62
Yeah, when referring to snarky people I'm thinking mostly of the "thread-killers" you mentioned in another thread. The only people who deserve the snark, IMO, are those who start s*** with someone out of the blue, or those who clearly are posting inflammatory troll-bait. Not someone who asks a goofy or stupid, but innocent, question if they're sincere. It can be annoying to see some of the rather obtuse questions that are sometimes asked by people here, but I don't like people who threadcrap.
I agree. Also deserving are the ones who come to the site, their one and only post is to sell something or trying to get everyone to link to their website. I love the sarcasm that pounces on them before the thread gets closed. LOL But you're right. Some people get picked on for no good reason, and that gets annoying. Or when a thread gets taken over by two people arguing. I stop reading it, and have learned that when someone tries that with me, the best thing is to just not feed the animals and let their snarky posts speak for themselves.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:19 PM

420 posts, read 704,555 times
I was moving to Ohio and needed info on the city I moved to. I ended up staying because of the variety of other topics.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:37 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
I've always been interested in finding out about other cities and regions, but an added bonus is the fact that you can post on other subjects without being linked to Facebook.

If this site becomes linked to FB, I'll no longer be interested.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:47 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
My arrival here was an accident, when the site appear I start reading and got interested some articles could not read with out registering so I got register since then I am here.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:06 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Curious to know people's reasons for spending time on City-Data forums.

For me, I simply love debates and discussions. Long before the internet, my favorite section of the newspaper was the editorials, letters to the editor and op-ed pieces. Finding out what is going on in the world is only half the equation for me. The other half is finding out what people think about it.

Also, while I'm on Facebook, I'm much more careful about what I say because my FB friends are a big mix of coworkers, family, gays, deeply religious, conservative, liberal, poor, wealthy, young, old. I try not to post anything that might unintentionally offend someone I care about. On an anonymous forum, I can share opinions without having to fret too much if people disagree or find it offensive.

And in that vein, because people's filters are off, I can also hear opinions that folks might otherwise not share for the same reasons. I find it very interesting to hear what people think of things and how they view various subjects when you know (or at least hope) that they're being honest. It's sort of a, "Okay, now that no one else is in the room, what do you really think?" sort of thing.

How about you?
I'm too private a person to like Facebook enough to spend much time there. If I want my IRL friends to know what I'm doing, I'll pick up my cell and call them or else drop by their homes or invite them over to mine.

I discovered CD because I was day-dreaming about moving to Montana and I decided to do a little research on that state via the Internet. Once I landed on the Montana forum, I noticed all the other forums on City-Data and checked them out, and here I still am 3 years later. I like CD for the variety of topics it encompasses. It's a large website, but other than the politics forum, the individual forums are not so vast that posts just pile up on each other and you can scarcely keep track of them. On the other hand, the forums are not so small that you'll have to wait 3 days for someone to reply. Like you, I enjoy debates and discussions. I like this particular forum we're posting on now because I can generally get some good feedback here on things that may baffle me a bit IRL. I really like the Colorado forum (never did end up moving to Montana). We have an outstanding mod there, some really good debates about what's happening around our state, and enough regulars so that after 3 years, dropping in on that forum is like dropping in to chat with old friends.

I also like the thought of someday winning one of those contests City Data always has going. Most informative member! $500.00! Ha-ha - yeah, right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships