Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,964 times

Advertisements

Curious to know people's reasons for spending time on City-Data forums.

For me, I simply love debates and discussions. Long before the internet, my favorite section of the newspaper was the editorials, letters to the editor and op-ed pieces. Finding out what is going on in the world is only half the equation for me. The other half is finding out what people think about it.

Also, while I'm on Facebook, I'm much more careful about what I say because my FB friends are a big mix of coworkers, family, gays, deeply religious, conservative, liberal, poor, wealthy, young, old. I try not to post anything that might unintentionally offend someone I care about. On an anonymous forum, I can share opinions without having to fret too much if people disagree or find it offensive.

And in that vein, because people's filters are off, I can also hear opinions that folks might otherwise not share for the same reasons. I find it very interesting to hear what people think of things and how they view various subjects when you know (or at least hope) that they're being honest. It's sort of a, "Okay, now that no one else is in the room, what do you really think?" sort of thing.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 08:20 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Curious to know people's reasons for spending time on City-Data forums.

For me, I simply love debates and discussions. Long before the internet, my favorite section of the newspaper was the editorials, letters to the editor and op-ed pieces. Finding out what is going on in the world is only half the equation for me. The other half is finding out what people think about it.

Also, while I'm on Facebook, I'm much more careful about what I say because my FB friends are a big mix of coworkers, family, gays, deeply religious, conservative, liberal, poor, wealthy, young, old. I try not to post anything that might unintentionally offend someone I care about. On an anonymous forum, I can share opinions without having to fret too much if people disagree or find it offensive.

And in that vein, because people's filters are off, I can also hear opinions that folks might otherwise not share for the same reasons. I find it very interesting to hear what people think of things and how they view various subjects when you know (or at least hope) that they're being honest. It's sort of a, "Okay, now that no one else is in the room, what do you really think?" sort of thing.

How about you?
Well stated! Those are my reasons too.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 PM

265 posts, read 402,513 times
Maybe I'm boring, but I'm here to learn data about cities I've considered moving to, as well as offer data about cities I've lived in.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Gain info, give info, meet interesting people, get other's perspective on topics.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,686 times
I'm on here for the same reasons as you. Plus, sometimes I want to get opinions from people who have nothing to lose when they tell me what they think. No relationship will be lost if they tell me something that I wouldn't want to hear from someone face to face.

It can be very honest on here. I like that.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:39 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,441 times
Found this place while working on a DIY project. Use it mostly for that purpose and occasionally post in some forums when bored. Like tonight kids and the mrs are asleep. Watching the game and surfing the net.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
Maybe I'm boring, but I'm here to learn data about cities I've considered moving to, as well as offer data about cities I've lived in.
You're not boring at all! I found CD because I was looking for information on Sacramento. For quite a while, I stuck to the Sacramento forum before discovering the general forums.

Last edited by LoriBee62; 12-07-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I'm on here for the same reasons as you. Plus, sometimes I want to get opinions from people who have nothing to lose when they tell me what they think. No relationship will be lost if they tell me something that I wouldn't want to hear from someone face to face.

It can be very honest on here. I like that.
Very true! Though there are occasions when some members will latch on to one small remark that was completely irrelevant to the subject and run with it. Drives me nuts. Fortunately, they are few and most everyone has good reading comprehension and are genuinely helpful.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I originally found CD because I was looking for a forum that included property managers, as I was hoping to find a place to vent and commiserate with other managers about the life of a property manager, before I was able to retire last year. I learned quickly that the renter's forum of CD is very unfriendly. Wasn't what I was looking for at all.

But, then I saw that there were tenants on that forum who needed advice about how to deal with unfair landlords, and I knew how to help them. So, I stayed so I could be helpful.

Then, I needed advice on how to upgrade my computer's memory, and once couldn't figure out why my car battery kept dying, and found free expert advice here from others who were willing to share their knowledge and expertise to help people like me.

I also enjoy a good debate. And I enjoy chatting with other Californians in the California forum, and the gardeners in the garden forum, and movie-watchers in the movie forum, etc.. etc.

So, it's many things for me - a place to get help, a place to be of help, a place to argue and discuss, a place to be entertained.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I originally found CD because I was looking for a forum that included property managers, as I was hoping to find a place to vent and commiserate with other managers about the life of a property manager, before I was able to retire last year. I learned quickly that the renter's forum of CD is very unfriendly. Wasn't what I was looking for at all.

But, then I saw that there were tenants on that forum who needed advice about how to deal with unfair landlords, and I knew how to help them. So, I stayed so I could be helpful.

Then, I needed advice on how to upgrade my computer's memory, and once couldn't figure out why my car battery kept dying, and found free expert advice here from others who were willing to share their knowledge and expertise to help people like me.

I also enjoy a good debate. And I enjoy chatting with other Californians in the California forum, and the gardeners in the garden forum, and movie-watchers in the movie forum, etc.. etc.

So, it's many things for me - a place to get help, a place to be of help, a place to argue and discuss, a place to be entertained.
Yes, I'm impressed by how helpful people can be, particularly on the geographic forums. People are really willing to take a lot of time, look things up, and post references to other sources. Lifts the spirit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships