Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 07:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

I bought a 2 acre property in WA state, and the owner next door let me run a long hose from his property so I'd have water until the well driller could come - ETA about 2 months.

So, I move my airstream trailer onto my property, fence an area for my horse, fence an area for a couple pigs, and I had my dog there, and I started a small garden.

The neighbor then quickly sold his place to a guy who immediately cut off my water supply. I offered to pay him well, told him the well drillers were already scheduled to come in about 6 weeks - but he had no mercy whatsoever. I couldn't understand why he'd be so mean, and in one comment, he said he didn't know my property was for sale. So, I guess he was angry he didn't also get the 2 acres next to his property, and decided to take it out on me.

I ended up having to pay to get a trailer and a trailer hitch for my old Toyota Corona (before Corollas), and buy a large tank so I could haul water to my animals and my garden for 6 weeks until the well could be drilled.

The jerk also had a dog that barked constantly. And I can tell you that a barking dog, even an acre away, can ruin your peace.

So, about a year later, I'm sitting in my trailer, and I notice the neighbor has a logging crew out there cutting down his huge old growth Douglas Fir trees that run along the highway, and also give him lots of privacy. I thought, that's weird, but I sure wasn't going to go chat with him about it, as he was a consistent jerk about everything - not just the water issue.

I watched them cut down trees, got dressed, went out to start up my truck so it would warm up, went back inside, grabbed my stuff, went back outside - and the entire logging crew has disappeared. I thought, wow that was quick.

Come back from town, eating dinner, knock on the trailer door - the sheriff. "Did you see anyone cutting down the neighbor's trees?" "I sure did." "Why didn't you say anything to the neighbor?" "Frankly, sheriff, the guy's a jerk and very unfriendly. Why? Did someone steal those trees?" "Yep."

The guy was amazingly nice to me after that. LOL. That's what I call karma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 07:53 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
You all wouldn't even believe me if I told you some of the stories of my ex neighbors. They came complete with the constant cop presence, sure, the beatings of frying pans over heads, sure, the cursing, the drugging, the drinking, sure, the idiocy, the loudness, the obnoxiousness.....sure.

But you haven't witnessed a vile neighbor until you walk by one day and see a door open, a pair of men's underwear being hurled out the door, and watch as that underwear, filled with crap, hits the neighbor's house and sticks.

Now...tell me about bad neighbors.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You all wouldn't even believe me if I told you some of the stories of my ex neighbors. They came complete with the constant cop presence, sure, the beatings of frying pans over heads, sure, the cursing, the drugging, the drinking, sure, the idiocy, the loudness, the obnoxiousness.....sure.

But you haven't witnessed a vile neighbor until you walk by one day and see a door open, a pair of men's underwear being hurled out the door, and watch as that underwear, filled with crap, hits the neighbor's house and sticks.

Now...tell me about bad neighbors.
Whoa.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh! I forgot the stalker neighbor! When I was in my 20s (in the 1990s) some guy from my apartment complex started leaving notes on my car, then flowers, then started talking to me. He told me he saw me all the time (meaning watched me) go to and from my car or take my trash out, and he "could just tell" that I was a very nice person, that we had a lot in common, that I was beautiful, and that I would surely really understand and "get" him like no other woman ever has.
I was thinking I had nothing to contribute to the topic but your post reminded me of when I was in MY 20s, ca 1970. For several weeks, my neighbor had been watching me and trying to start up conversations. He was my age and very good-looking but since he and his wife both lived in the apt. directly above mine, I tried to avoid him.

Then his wife died suddenly and mysteriously - he told me she was in the car he was driving, he had to hit the brakes suddenly and her head slammed against the dashboard. This was when car dashboards were hard and full of chrome-y knobs, and seatbelts weren't mandatory. But still. They didn't hit anything so the car wasn't even damaged.

The day after his wife's funeral, he knocked on our door and asked me out on a date.
That disturbed me quite a bit. I moved as quickly as I could.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:00 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
When we lived in an apartment we had a weird neighbor who my husband saw peeing in the front yard of the building one morning. He would also walk around in his speedo (we had a community pool). Our cat went missing while living there and I put fliers in the hall (shared by 4 units). The flier was immediately torn down. I was calling for our cat one day and heard mewing coming from his apartment, followed by a shhhhh. I figured that it was his cat based on that. A few days later he called and told us that he had found our cat who had "accidentally" got into his house. He had scratches all over his arms (this cat was not particularly friendly) and he was in possession of the flier that had been torn down days earlier. I concluded pretty quickly that he had catnapped out cat. Super creepy!
Wow... how weird.. you just never know. Glad you got your cat back. I have said that Mental Illness is at the root of practically everything.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:40 AM

732 posts, read 968,697 times
Another dog poopetrator story to add to the thread. My neighbor from up the street somewhere kept letting his dog poop in my yard and never picked it up. Even though he apparently saw the surveillance camera (he looked up at it on several occasions), he didn't seem to care about being recorded and kept continuing to let his dog poop in my yard occasionally.

I don't know exactly where he lives, but I'm sure he lives in the neighborhood since he walks down & up the street often.

Also, a next door neighbor sometimes has rowdy people over and blasts their stereo into the early am which I don't mind much, but a few nights it sounded like someone was hammering nails or something at almost 3 in the morning scaring me out of my sleep thinking someone was breaking in. I wonder if they're deliberately trying to annoy me.

The neighbor before her was also sometimes annoying (although he was kind to me). He blasted his stereo into the early am more often than my current neighbor in that house, but he at least didn't hammer anything that late/early. What annoyed me was when he'd leave his windows open for the neighborhood to hear his girlfriend screaming during sex. I can't stand to even hear women screaming when they're giving birth on TV, it's an annoying noise to me.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:01 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
We used to have one house on the block that was a rental. It was common for the kids of the house to knock on doors throughout the block, saying their dad was on the toilet and did we have an extra roll of toilet paper. After 3 rolls, I said no (no offer to ever repay - and happened every 2 or 3 days). Found out my other neighbors had the same thing happen. I don't know what that household did for toilet paper once the neighborhood people stopped giving them rolls.

I know the answer to this one...I had a neighbor who did the same thing, asking for a roll of toilet paper every other day. They lived upstairs from me in an apartment with old plumbing. And when I cut off the Charmin supply, they started using socks to wipe their butts. The socks backed up the plumbing to the whole building and my bathtubs filled with poop.

The dad was unemployed and used meth, the mom worked at a fast-food chain and she used to bring home big pouches of refried beans in her pants, and the little girl was in the hospital once a month for asthma because her dad wouldn't quit smoking in the house. When I quit babysitting for them (I didn't need any more refried beans, which the mom would offer to pay me with), things turned ugly and the meth head knocked my baby down and keyed my car.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:06 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Oh, and dog poop stories...

The other day I was out in my garage and I noticed a family I'd never seen before walking a big dog down the street. They stopped in the yard across from my house and the dog assumed the position. The people who live across from me all came out and stood on their front porch...four generations, grandma, mama, teenage daughter, teenage daughter's toddler, all lined up like a family photo...and watched while this giant dog made a giant pile in their yard, next to the light-up snowmen and the rosebush decorated like a Christmas tree. The family who owned the dog just stared off in the other direction, then started walking again when the dog was done, no checking pockets for a bag, no apology, nothing. After they were gone, the neighbors just stood there shaking their heads and looking at each other in shock until the toddler made a beeline for the poo pile and they had to run to stop him.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:13 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I bought a 2 acre property in WA state, and the owner next door let me run a long hose from his property so I'd have water until the well driller could come - ETA about 2 months.

So, I move my airstream trailer onto my property, fence an area for my horse, fence an area for a couple pigs, and I had my dog there, and I started a small garden.

The neighbor then quickly sold his place to a guy who immediately cut off my water supply. I offered to pay him well, told him the well drillers were already scheduled to come in about 6 weeks - but he had no mercy whatsoever. I couldn't understand why he'd be so mean, and in one comment, he said he didn't know my property was for sale. So, I guess he was angry he didn't also get the 2 acres next to his property, and decided to take it out on me.

I ended up having to pay to get a trailer and a trailer hitch for my old Toyota Corona (before Corollas), and buy a large tank so I could haul water to my animals and my garden for 6 weeks until the well could be drilled.

The jerk also had a dog that barked constantly. And I can tell you that a barking dog, even an acre away, can ruin your peace.

So, about a year later, I'm sitting in my trailer, and I notice the neighbor has a logging crew out there cutting down his huge old growth Douglas Fir trees that run along the highway, and also give him lots of privacy. I thought, that's weird, but I sure wasn't going to go chat with him about it, as he was a consistent jerk about everything - not just the water issue.

I watched them cut down trees, got dressed, went out to start up my truck so it would warm up, went back inside, grabbed my stuff, went back outside - and the entire logging crew has disappeared. I thought, wow that was quick.

Come back from town, eating dinner, knock on the trailer door - the sheriff. "Did you see anyone cutting down the neighbor's trees?" "I sure did." "Why didn't you say anything to the neighbor?" "Frankly, sheriff, the guy's a jerk and very unfriendly. Why? Did someone steal those trees?" "Yep."

The guy was amazingly nice to me after that. LOL. That's what I call karma.
I'm having a good time reading all these posts on this topic this morning. I wonder if someone saw the neighbor's trees as purely things to steal. Or if he got someone else mad too and they said well he cares about his privacy so let's ruin that for him.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:30 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
I'm enjoying reading these stories too. I'm shocked that more than one person had a problem with someone stealing their plants and bulbs from their backyard. I'm also getting a giggle out of some of these stories, and some plain freak me out. I have had it pretty easy with neighbors compared to some of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships