Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:38 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
I'm of medium height. Yes, shorter people sometimes ask me to get something from the upper shelf. When I see people struggling to reach for something and I can do it, I just do it for them without asking. Not a problem.

I've also asked taller people to help me get things out of reach. Again, I see no problem with that -- but then, I'm not asking the First Lady of the United States. Look, she's got better things to do with her time.

When I was visibly pregnant -- 6 months with a VERY big baby, I asked a young man to help me grab something from the lower shelf (the item was way in the back, and I could not contort my body to reach that low and far back). He just stared at me and said, "Why can't you get it yourself?"

<sigh> Basic decency -- whatever happened to it?

BTW, you can tell when it's a racial thing. I wasn't there when Michelle Obama had it happen to her at Target, so I -- and everyone else who wasn't there -- cannot judge whether or not it was a racist request. Of course, this doesn't stop the peanut gallery from doing what it does best, i.e. judge with just barebones info: "Gee, if I don't think it's racial when I get asked, how can it possibly be racial for Michelle?" Uh-huh. Your personal experience applies to everyone else, especially the First Lady of the United States.
I did not bring the racial aspect to it,because i do not really think it was racial,but rather height-ism.

Sorry,i know it is a made up word.

But as a tall person,what is wrong with asking someone shorter to pick up an item on the bottom shelf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

But as a tall person,what is wrong with asking someone shorter to pick up an item on the bottom shelf?
Nothing. I've retrieved more than one box of Quaker Oats off the bottom shelf for tall, un-flexible people. No big deal.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
LOL! what should I do, climb the shelves ?
Yes, I've climbed the shelves before.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
OMG, so I finally Googled this and Michele Obama HELPED someone who asked her to get something off a shelf because she is tall. And she did it.

"I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new," Michelle Obama, who is 5'11", said.

What on earth is this thread about? Really?

Sheesh.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
I'm 6'2 and have been asked many times over the years to reach something for someone and offered to when it was obvious that someone is straining or having difficulty getting an item from a shelf. Always makes me feel good to do so no matter the person.

Still waiting to have a lovely petite adult young woman ask me to pick her up to reach a shelf.

As for asking someone short(er) to get something low, well, that's pretty low , unless you have a bad back / knees.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I'm pretty creative about reaching things on high shelves. I used to pick my daughter up and she'd reach whatever it was. Now she's too heavy for me to do that, so we'll stack a couple of 12pks of soda and stand on those, or find something long like a clothes hanger to reach what we need. At home we have a really good heavy-duty step stool (the round ones like libraries have) for us short folks. I never ask anyone to reach anything for me, and people never offer.

But I help people whenever I see an opportunity or a need...if someone drops something and I can pick it up more easily than they can, I'll do it. If I see someone older loading her car and she's got something heavy like 50lbs of dog food, I'll offer to help (I never offer to help the older gentlemen, they don't want the help or appreciate the offer). Or if someone's loading their groceries and they have a baby, I'll offer to take their cart to the cart corral so they don't have to leave the baby alone to put the cart up. My kids will always pick something up if they see that an adult has dropped it, just because they're more nimble and closer to the ground so it's easier for them to pick it up. The other day I was coming out of the grocery store and a large, older man was trying to drive the scooter cart back into the store, but it didn't have enough charge in the battery to get up the hill. I gave him a push up the hill...his ears turned pink so I think he was a little embarrassed.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I bolded the above because I do the same thing. I'm only 5'2" (and shrinking!) and trying to find a store employee to help often means walking from one end of the store to the other. I've used every resource to help myself. Most tall people (5'4" is tall to me) offer if they see me struggling.

The funny thing is, as short as I am, I am sometimes asked to help others, and I have no problem. Actually, I'm flattered that they think I can help!

I was taught, by a very proper British grandmother, to preface every request with please, and follow it with thank you. Works every time.
I can relate. I'm 5' 2" also and at the point in life where I'm going to get even shorter. Good to know that others get creative when there is no one around to help out

Old 12-18-2014, 09:01 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
I am tall.Yes, I have been asked in stores to reach something from a high shelf for someone. I don't mind.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:28 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times
Occasionally I have needed to (politely) ask someone for help...I really dislike doing this, and it's always a last resort. Boy, I sure am thrilled when someone asks me to reach for something! I offer my help if I see someone struggling.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OMG, so I finally Googled this and Michele Obama HELPED someone who asked her to get something off a shelf because she is tall. And she did it.

"I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new," Michelle Obama, who is 5'11", said.

What on earth is this thread about? Really?

Sheesh.
I just wanted to get a perspective from tall people,geez.
If you do not like the thread,do not open it and reply.
Simple,unless you are simple minded.

BTW,the Michelle story was about something deeper than the above.
Her slant was that it was racist.

But YOU knew that already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships