Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 03:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Being a single individual let alone a single man is tough. No kids, you don't have tax breaks and you don't have a readymade way to not work (recitals, dances, boy scouts, etc.) based on kid schedules. Then throw in societal views of being a spinster or permanent bachelor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 03:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Being a single individual let alone a single man is tough. No kids, you don't have tax breaks and you don't have a readymade way to not work (recitals, dances, boy scouts, etc.) based on kid schedules. Then throw in societal views of being a spinster or permanent bachelor.
I have the same amount of sick days as a coworker with kids and will call out sick when I feel it's necessary. My next call out is the Monday after the Superbowl

Old 12-27-2014, 04:41 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
I have never heard of anybody getting extra holiday time or sick days for having children, and while the tax breaks are nice, fact is they are nowhere near the costs to raise a child.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:47 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I have never heard of anybody getting extra holiday time or sick days for having children, and while the tax breaks are nice, fact is they are nowhere near the costs to raise a child.
They don't get extra sick time which is why I don't know why it was mentioned

Old 12-27-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I have the same amount of sick days as a coworker with kids and will call out sick when I feel it's necessary. My next call out is the Monday after the Superbowl
You may get the same BUT you are less likely to take it and more scrutinized to take it. I imagine you calling in for the Super Bowl would likely end up being heavily scrutinized but then again a married individual or someone with kids would face the same "Oh you're sick, are you sure that you arent able to come in because you have the Super Bowl flu?" Because too many people take that day off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Quote:
They don't get extra sick time which is why I don't know why it was mentioned
Really either of you ever hear of FLMA? a single isn't likely to have a kid, nor a wife to take care of and be out for three month for nonmilitary relatives or six months for relatives in the military but a married person or a single with kids.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
You may get the same BUT you are less likely to take it and more scrutinized to take it. I imagine you calling in for the Super Bowl would likely end up being heavily scrutinized but then again a married individual or someone with kids would face the same "Oh you're sick, are you sure that you arent able to come in because you have the Super Bowl flu?" Because too many people take that day off.

Really either of you ever hear of FLMA? a single isn't likely to have a kid, nor a wife to take care of and be out for three month for nonmilitary relatives or six months for relatives in the military but a married person or a single with kids.
it better not be because

1. It will be my 1st call out of the year

2. And I seen atleast 3 people call out on a pay friday

So they better not say a WORD to me about it

Old 12-27-2014, 06:36 PM
FBJ

Quote:

I may put in for a vacation day for the monday after the SB but I will still call out another day in Feb

Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
it better not be because

1. It will be my 1st call out of the year

2. And I seen atleast 3 people call out on a pay friday

So they better not say a WORD to me about it
The Super Bowl Flu is common enough whether it is as a hangover or just not willing to work the morning after. This is why I mentioned it.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:27 PM
FBJ

Quote:
The Super Bowl Flu is common enough whether it is as a hangover or just not willing to work the morning after. This is why I mentioned it.
That's why it makes sense to have the superbowl on saturday night instead of sunday

Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
I love being single and am very glad I have no offspring. I wouldn't change it. I feel pity for a lot of the tied down parents I see. I'm not worried about discrimination against me, I'm worried about the poor 'marrieds with childrens' who often can't have a life.

However, with regard to time out of work, where I come from, there's no question circumstances matter. And there's no question it's easier to work remotely, use sick time with no questions asked, and get the priority vacation timing and the full vacation weeks off, if you have the spouse and three sickly little snot-nosed kids at home. It's just the way it is. I can't take off if there's a project that's taking a while because I have a date or meetup, but those who must pick up their kid can. My boss also assumes I can be available for meetings and emergencies when I'm on a vacation day because she doesn't see my time out the same as someone going on a travel vacation with their kids.

It's also assumed I can travel any time, while the marrieds / parents often have plausible deniability (I'm okay with this some of the time because sometimes I really enjoy solo business travel).

Let me reiterate that I'm not crying discrimination. I'm really glad I don't have to go pick up a kid or stay home because one's tummy hurts. But it does mean I'm viewed differently.

My girlfriend and I have mused that the next time we each move to new roles, we're going to claim that we're married and have three or four kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships