Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with someone who is emotionally immature? I think we've all had to deal with people like this at one point or another. Friend, partner, child, etc. If you've done something to upset them, they'll give you the silent treatment instead of just confronting you. These days, they may resort to criticizing you on their Facebook page, though they won't mention you by name. I'd expect this sort of thing from a teenager. Sadly, it's pretty common among adults. Where do you think this behavior comes from? Is it learned? Is it a sign of some deeper issues? What's the best way to deal with a person or should you just even bother? I'm not a big fan of confrontation. If someone's done something to upset me, I'll weigh whether it's worth making a big deal out of it or if I should just let it go. If I do confront them, I wait til I've had time to calm down, collect my thoughts, and figure out what I'm going to say. But this passive aggressive stuff is something I just can't deal with. Give me the person who blows their top. I'd rather deal with someone yelling at me than someone who goes silent and then expects me to read their mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Ignore, ignore, ignore.

Silence can be deafening.

(I have used this technique on my children after they have blurted out something rotten or mean. I just let it hang in the air. It has a powerful effect)

Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
But this passive aggressive stuff is something I just can't deal with. Give me the person who blows their top. I'd rather deal with someone yelling at me than someone who goes silent and then expects me to read their mind.

Yep... especially the mind reader part.

And I have found that many people take silent disapproval as approval. They actually figure "If you have a problem, speak up. Otherwise, I think all is fine".

Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 AM

It's frustrating because you feel like the other person is in control. You try to confront them and have a conversation, but they're not interested in talking. They just walk away. Everything seems to be on their terms. Every relationship depends on both people being able to speak freely and both people showing a willingness to listen. But in this instance, you have someone who feels they've been wronged, but doesn't want to listen. In particular, they refuse to listen if you start to tell them something they don't want to hear, like the things they've done wrong. These people seem to always portray themselves as the victims too. It could be there partner, a friend, or coworker. But there's always a pattern to it. Wow is me. Everyone is mean to me. Now you're being mean time so I'm going to stop talking to you. Ugh.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:52 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
The person who walks away and doesn't engage takes all the power with them.

If you have a lot of conflict in your life, but don't want to, you might enjoy this article:

The 7 habits of conflict zen and how to learn them

Old 01-19-2015, 10:09 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's frustrating because you feel like the other person is in control. You try to confront them and have a conversation, but they're not interested in talking. They just walk away. Everything seems to be on their terms. Every relationship depends on both people being able to speak freely and both people showing a willingness to listen. But in this instance, you have someone who feels they've been wronged, but doesn't want to listen. In particular, they refuse to listen if you start to tell them something they don't want to hear, like the things they've done wrong. These people seem to always portray themselves as the victims too. It could be there partner, a friend, or coworker. But there's always a pattern to it. Wow is me. Everyone is mean to me. Now you're being mean time so I'm going to stop talking to you. Ugh.
That's when you withdraw from them because they're acting like an idiot.

Some people are so far gone they wouldn't know authentic communication if it bit them in the face. They just don't operate that way. So you save your truth for people who are actually in touch with theirs. Emotionally immature people will do nothing but suck you dry, and it's all rooted in their own fear. They may seem to be "winning" in the short term, but trust me, they are not winning in life.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,468 times
I ignore them. I don't mind confrontation, but I refuse to waste my time on people like that. Where they just refuse to listen and understand where you are coming from. I used to just argue constantly with people like that all time, until I realized I was just as stupid as they were for continuing to have the conversation.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
It depends on who the person is, and how close to you they are. If they're a friend, you can simply cut them out of your life so you don't have to deal with that behavior anymore. If they're harassing you on your facebook page, can't you block them? Or send them a message on FB and simply say, "If you have a problem with me, please bring it up with me at (work/home/wherever I usually see you). I routinely block people who leave rude comments on my FB page."

Old 01-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Where does this behavior come from? Is it rooted in insecurity? I'm just trying to understand what drives a person to act this way. I had a relative who was married to such a person. I could never imagine being in such a relationship. Marriage requires open communication lines, which you can't have if one person refuses to talk. But even other relationships like friendship only work if both people can speak their mind. The silent treatment just seems like a childish thing to do.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on who the person is, and how close to you they are. If they're a friend, you can simply cut them out of your life so you don't have to deal with that behavior anymore. If they're harassing you on your facebook page, can't you block them? Or send them a message on FB and simply say, "If you have a problem with me, please bring it up with me at (work/home/wherever I usually see you). I routinely block people who leave rude comments on my FB page."
They're more subtle about it. They'll make on their own Facebook page about you. But they'll phrase it in a way where others reading won't know who it's in reference too. It'll sound general, but really it's about a specific person. You can block them so that you don't have to see those posts, but other people do. And most of the time, the comment conveniently leaves out facts. It'll be framed in a way that makes the "victim" appear sympathetic. Readers never get the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships