Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:01 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,820 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to not buy something without hearing this? It drives me nuts, and I will tell you why:

1) My FICO score is near perfect. I know an excellent score saves me more in interest than any one-time 10% I'm going to save buying socks at Macy's. I also know my score will take a hit every time I accept one of these offers, have an inquiry, or open up a new credit line.

2) Once when I declined the offer, the clerk had the nerve to say, "Really, you still get the 10% off even if you get turned down for bad credit." That comment was so damn insulting, worsened by the fact that I couldn't think of a come-back to put her in her place, so I just said "No" again and walked out infuriated.

Now, every time I'm asked that and say "No", I think that's what they're thinking. I know I shouldn't care, and most times I try not to. But it still bugs me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 12:18 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,726,084 times
I worked for Gap and I used to say that and I never thought people had bad credit if they didn't want to apply. You can say your spouse will "kill" you if you get a CC. I used to say that when people ask me....

Old 02-01-2015, 12:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
Well, it would have enraged me, too, if that clerk said those things to me. I have no trouble saying no to such things, but when the two-letter word isn't enough, that's when I start getting mad.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:28 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
I find myself saying when faced with this question: "No, thanks. I have enough credit cards". Usually, that gets a smile and a nod from the sales clerks.

If I had to guess, I think that sales clerks dislike having to ask this question.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:

Now, every time I'm asked that and say "No", I think that's what they're
thinking.
I have to say, it's never crossed my mind to wonder what the cashier is thinking about my answer. I know they have to ask it, I'm pretty sure they know I know they have to ask it and it's just rote. I doubt they think anything one way or the other. Actually they're probably either thinking "thank goodness I don't have to start that paperwork" or (if they receive an incentive) "darn, there goes my chance for some extra $". They're most likely only concerned about how it impacts them and their day - just like anyone else.

Not sure why this is not in the Shopping and Consumer thread.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:41 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,820 times
I confess, I never thought twice about it until that one clerk made that comment. It didn't help that the store was busy, there were two registers near each other, and she said it within earshot of about 5 other people. I was so dumbfounded by the comment that I just repeated, "No thanks" again then walked out embarrassed.

Maybe just having a better reply than "No thanks" is what I need to get over it. That happened, like, 3 years ago, LOL (The stupid stuff we bother ourselves about, right?)

I like, "Don't need any more credit cards, thanks." That was a good suggestion.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:46 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Is it possible to not buy something without hearing this? It drives me nuts, and I will tell you why:

1) My FICO score is near perfect. I know an excellent score saves me more in interest than any one-time 10% I'm going to save buying socks at Macy's. I also know my score will take a hit every time I accept one of these offers, have an inquiry, or open up a new credit line.

2) Once when I declined the offer, the clerk had the nerve to say, "Really, you still get the 10% off even if you get turned down for bad credit." That comment was so damn insulting, worsened by the fact that I couldn't think of a come-back to put her in her place, so I just said "No" again and walked out infuriated.

Now, every time I'm asked that and say "No", I think that's what they're thinking. I know I shouldn't care, and most times I try not to. But it still bugs me.
Ha! When I saw this I thought, "Tell me LoriBee is a spammer. I will be soooo disappointed!"

I hear you. So tedious having to say, "No, REALLY, I have ENOUGH credit cards. I am FINE. I said NO. NO! Bad cashier. BAD! Get DOWN! I said 'DOWN!' Now SIT. Sit and STAY."

Old 02-01-2015, 01:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
" No thanks, not interested". You hear me Target?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:58 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
I find it insulting that they would think that anyone would be so dull and shortsighted as to think that they can't think past their current purchase and the piddly 10% they get to save at that moment.

I tell them no. If they argue, I tell them that I said no. One reason I DON'T have bad credit is because I don't brainlessly open up scammy store cards to save $5 once.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:58 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,242,493 times
I think in a lot of cases the clerk is required to ask the question. I think sometimes they get a small bonus for people who sign up. So for the most part it has nothing to do with what they are thinking, other than additional money in their paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships