Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 11:59 PM

371 posts, read 1,213,018 times

Advertisements

Kohls is the worst about this! A couple of times I've even seen them with employees wandering around the store asking people to sign up for a Kohl's charge as they're shopping- talk about annoying! I realize that it's not the individual employee's fault since they have to ask, but it's still annoying. Usually places like that will say, "Will this be on your Kohl's charge today?" and I say, "I'm not interested" right away instead of just answering "no." This usually shuts off the 3-4 follow up questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:16 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,259,566 times
When they ask for your zip code, tell them you used to have a good zip code, but ever since you started shopping there, something happened to it, and now it's 00000. And then say something like "maybe you pressed the wrong key or something" as an explanation of what might have happened to your zip code.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:29 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,216,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
Kohls is the worst about this! A couple of times I've even seen them with employees wandering around the store asking people to sign up for a Kohl's charge as they're shopping- talk about annoying! I realize that it's not the individual employee's fault since they have to ask, but it's still annoying. Usually places like that will say, "Will this be on your Kohl's charge today?" and I say, "I'm not interested" right away instead of just answering "no." This usually shuts off the 3-4 follow up questions.
There was a CD member on here a few years ago who said the cashiers there actually have a quota for sign-ups and they get in trouble or lose hours if they don't meet it. I don't know how true that is, but I remember him talking about it.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 AM

206 posts, read 383,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My credit score is better than good and a hard inquiry will only lower it temporarily.
It's true that a hard inquiry only affects your score for about a year. However,
  1. You might need to apply for real credit before that year is up;
  2. They lower the average age of your credit accounts; and
  3. They increase the total number of credit cards you have (a few is probably good, more is probably bad).
But even more:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Remember, Macy's and other companies make a tremendous amount of money from late fees, finances charges, and high interest rates. Store cards typically have interest rates of over 24%.
combined with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Gap and other stores push the CC because people with CC spend much more than people without them.
The terms on store credit cards are terrible, and the cards themselves are super seductive. Not a good combination for consumers.

I once observed a store credit card hard-sell to a couple I had just been speaking to. They were a young couple who had just arrived in town, and were buying a few things to start setting up their home. They asked the clerk what the drawbacks of the card were, and were told there were NONE. I was completely unable to hold my tongue, and ended up explaining some of the above to them. I got a really dirty look from the clerk, and realized I probably just cost her a commission or something, but I can't regret it.

I also now find myself having to say "No, thank you" at the beginning of almost every transaction, when asked for my phone number. It's completely nonsensical grammatically, but it's the only polite way I've found of cutting off the "I don't want to share that information" conversation.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:56 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,619,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Is it possible to not buy something without hearing this? It drives me nuts, and I will tell you why:

1) My FICO score is near perfect. I know an excellent score saves me more in interest than any one-time 10% I'm going to save buying socks at Macy's. I also know my score will take a hit every time I accept one of these offers, have an inquiry, or open up a new credit line.

2) Once when I declined the offer, the clerk had the nerve to say, "Really, you still get the 10% off even if you get turned down for bad credit." That comment was so damn insulting, worsened by the fact that I couldn't think of a come-back to put her in her place, so I just said "No" again and walked out infuriated.

Now, every time I'm asked that and say "No", I think that's what they're thinking. I know I shouldn't care, and most times I try not to. But it still bugs me.
NO Thank you. (I feel really bad for Macy's employees that get dinged on their salaries if they don't sell an X amount of cards per day. Abusive at both ends).
This Young Economist: Do you have a Macy*s card?

Unless it is a mortgage or a car payment, CREDIT needs to be left alone. The fact that it has infiltrated into everything is pure consumer abuse.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,937,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I think that you should understand that Macy's REQUIRES the salespeople to ask customers about applying for credit cards and if you don't have enough people applying (it doesn't matter if the customer is approved), you will get FIRED.
One of the reasons I don't shop at Macy's. It's just not a pleasant experience. They charge like a full-service department store but the main part of that service is harassing you to buy more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
There was a CD member on here a few years ago who said the cashiers there actually have a quota for sign-ups and they get in trouble or lose hours if they don't meet it. I don't know how true that is, but I remember him talking about it.
Other stores have started doing this with those receipt surveys. When you make stupid stuff like credit card applications and surveys the metric for how you judge employees, that's what employees will all their effort will eventually go. If that's what the company wants to focus on, fine, but if you're a company that tries to compete on service instead of price it seems short-sighted. I will say that Target either keeps their employees happy or really watches other aspects of customer service, too. Employees there are generally friendly and helpful despite always pushing their cards at checkout.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:42 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,061,698 times
Yes & it's incredibly annoying...it's almost every store now! Target is the worst...I always respond "Yes, I may get 10% off this purchase, but will it give me ??% cash back on every purchase like my Amex does? No? Will I get extra coupons? No? Then no thank you"

Old 02-02-2015, 08:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,107,188 times
If the clerks don't get a minimum number of sign ups they get yelled at by management. When I was young, I worked in one of those stores. I knew the extra cards would damage people's credit, but I was pretty tired of all the abuse anyway. It's customer service, so a substantial amount of the abuse comes from customers. Who gives a crap about the credit score of the person that is rude to them anyway?

If the clerk suggests you'll be turned down for bad credit, you can just say "No sweetie, my credit is excellent. That's why I was able to buy a beautiful house with the money from a good job". If you pull that out, don't be afraid if you make someone cry because they are part of the millennial generation that got economically screwed by the baby boomers. Plenty of good people being forced to work for crap wages in terrible jobs.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:03 AM

917 posts, read 1,385,963 times
I will always tell them "No it's ok, I have terrible credit and I know I'll get denied. No need to waste my time or your time" lol I am not lying since my credit is horrible but that usually does the trick. They do this A LOT at Victorias Secret

Old 02-02-2015, 09:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,733,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Is it possible to not buy something without hearing this? It drives me nuts, and I will tell you why:

1) My FICO score is near perfect. I know an excellent score saves me more in interest than any one-time 10% I'm going to save buying socks at Macy's. I also know my score will take a hit every time I accept one of these offers, have an inquiry, or open up a new credit line.

2) Once when I declined the offer, the clerk had the nerve to say, "Really, you still get the 10% off even if you get turned down for bad credit." That comment was so damn insulting, worsened by the fact that I couldn't think of a come-back to put her in her place, so I just said "No" again and walked out infuriated.

Now, every time I'm asked that and say "No", I think that's what they're thinking. I know I shouldn't care, and most times I try not to. But it still bugs me.
The comment by the clerk was most likely a reflection of her credit history. She probably has a rotten credit history and assumes everyone else does too. Most people think everyone else is just like them.

That you would feel insulted by a comment from a stranger about something she knows nothing about baffles me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships