Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Is it possible to not buy something without hearing this? It drives me nuts, and I will tell you why:

1) My FICO score is near perfect. I know an excellent score saves me more in interest than any one-time 10% I'm going to save buying socks at Macy's. I also know my score will take a hit every time I accept one of these offers, have an inquiry, or open up a new credit line.

2) Once when I declined the offer, the clerk had the nerve to say, "Really, you still get the 10% off even if you get turned down for bad credit." That comment was so damn insulting, worsened by the fact that I couldn't think of a come-back to put her in her place, so I just said "No" again and walked out infuriated.

Now, every time I'm asked that and say "No", I think that's what they're thinking. I know I shouldn't care, and most times I try not to. But it still bugs me.
They have to ask you. Otherwise, they could lose their jobs.

Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:49 PM

3,654 posts, read 3,791,903 times
It doesn't bother me. They are required to ask. I just say "no thanks" and offer no other explanation. I've had a few continue with the "You still get the 10% off..." And I just give them the benign smile of a middle-aged lady and repeat "No, thank you."

Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,512,778 times
Quote:
Is it possible to not buy something without hearing this? It drives me nuts, and I will tell you why:

1) My FICO score is near perfect. I know an excellent score saves me more in interest than any one-time 10% I'm going to save buying socks at Macy's. I also know my score will take a hit every time I accept one of these offers, have an inquiry, or open up a new credit line.

2) Once when I declined the offer, the clerk had the nerve to say, "Really, you still get the 10% off even if you get turned down for bad credit." That comment was so damn insulting, worsened by the fact that I couldn't think of a come-back to put her in her place, so I just said "No" again and walked out infuriated.

Now, every time I'm asked that and say "No", I think that's what they're thinking. I know I shouldn't care, and most times I try not to. But it still bugs me.
It's their job. Bring it up with the store manager, or better yet, corporate.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:27 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,919,752 times
Quote:

It doesn't bother me when people ask that. I simply say "No thank you" and be done with it. Sounds like your ego is getting in the way here. You KNOW you have great credit and feel the clerk is saying you don't. She doesn't know but I'm sure she knows a lot of people out there do have bad credit. She's supposed to sell it to any and everyone she can. Nothing personal toward you or your credit rating.

Last fall I actually took a store up on their offer. Got a really great discount and the card. Paid the card off when the bill came and haven't used it since. I didn't get insulted while the clerk went through her spiel...and I did say "No" at first. Since I have a job where I am also required to do this I did feel some sympathy for her. (I say I'm "required" to do it but I don't and it's the one demerit on my yearly evals.)

Old 02-05-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I find myself saying when faced with this question: "No, thanks. I have enough credit cards". Usually, that gets a smile and a nod from the sales clerks.

If I had to guess, I think that sales clerks dislike having to ask this question.
I had a guy tell me that his finances were in such poor order he couldn't even qualify to pay cash! lol

And, yes, we "dislike" having to ask that question. Which is why I don't very often.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I have to say, it's never crossed my mind to wonder what the cashier is thinking about my answer. I know they have to ask it, I'm pretty sure they know I know they have to ask it and it's just rote. I doubt they think anything one way or the other. Actually they're probably either thinking "thank goodness I don't have to start that paperwork" or (if they receive an incentive) "darn, there goes my chance for some extra $". They're most likely only concerned about how it impacts them and their day - just like anyone else.

Not sure why this is not in the Shopping and Consumer thread.
Thank goodness we don't have to do "paperwork". It's all done on the card readers at the registers using the keypad. No incentives for us to hustle people either. No extras for it. I usually AM glad they say no though because on a regular day I'll have a line of people behind this one and you know how patient people are these days. lol It's because of that I rarely ever ask people about it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships