Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:06 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've left roughly 17 to 20%, usually just doing the math in my head and then rounding up. Usually I'm understanding of the woes of the industry. Unfortunately, with all this tipping, I've cut my restaurant expenses down to a quarter of what I used to do, so in a way, you can say I tip much less now Or, I go to places without being waited on so I can avoid the tip in the first place.
yea i rarely leave the house anymore lol i can make and serve even better food than id get at most sit down places these days

Old 03-06-2015, 10:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Attitude of the server.

I have been in places where you could tell the server was overwhelmed and could not humanly keep up. That warrants a big tip and a phone call to the manager for being a poor manager. If the manager's attitude was bad, that warranted a call higher up. Whichever it was, the server was not to be blamed and deserved extra compensation for being in that horrible situation.

I have also been served by new people that you could tell were really TRYING - attitude makes a big difference and they deserved the tip. They will get better as time goes on.

Finally, I have been served by people that you could tell could not give a flip. $0 tip. Luckily, that has happened very few times.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:29 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,717 times
There was only one time I didn't tip. I was out with a friend for dinner and our waitress was in a really bad mood. I've worked in customer service so I understand and usually give the server alot of credit, however, this server became alot more hostile as the evening went on. I've never experienced this before, her behavior was so over the top, she really should have just gone home for the evening.

I'm a good tipper, I'm the person that will add more to the tip if someone doesn't put in their fair share.

Anyway, after not seeing the hostile waitress for most of the evening, she then shows up to aggressively slam the bill on the table, I've had quite enough of her nutty mean behavior. My friend and I both agreed to just pay the bill, without a tip, and I would call the manager the next day to explain what happened.

One of the reasons I called the manager is because I've been dining at this restaurant for years, and everything goes well. I explained to the manager why there wasn't a tip left on this bill and the waitress needs to understand why. He said they've been having trouble with this waitress. I, also said how much I hated making a call to complain, but it was extreme and some people aren't meant to work with the public. Also, I said if this was my first time at this restaurant I wouldn't come back, but since I've always had a nice dining experience this angry server could hurt the reputation.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I did frequent the place I was told to quieten down last night - about six months ago was my last visit. The bartender didn't card me - said he remembered me. I can't imagine he did, and the tone seemed patronizing. The beers were more expensive than comparable establishments. The whole vibe was just sour and I didn't want to tip.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:29 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Its the other way around for me, its what makes me "want" to tip. I don't tip just because they expect to be tipped. I shouldnt have to subsidize the place's owner and pay his employees directly. They should increase costs if it is how they can pay better.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:25 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went to the second establishment to grab a quick beer and was in the bar area on my cell phone, and the server told me to "keep it quiet." I don't think I was excessively loud and wasn't cursing, being rude, etc. I thought he was very rude and left without tipping. I can't remember the last time I was so irritated at the service that I didn't tip.
We are just the opposite (yeah...old farts, I know). We do not use our phones in reataurants or any public place where we might disturb others. If we really have to make a call, we can step outside for a minute.

One place recently, we turned the tables. The waitress was nowhere to be seen. She was back behind a counter where the wait staff stood when not out on the floor. She was scrolling on her phone. Wife would have liked a coffee refill; I would have liked more lemon with my fish. We got neither...young lady was too busy with her phone, and we do not make a scene in any restaurant. We did without, and so did she!

Old 03-07-2015, 06:30 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I've never received service so poor that it warranted no tip. With that said, the server probably has seen his/her fair share of cellphone users who 'park' themselves at the bar and, because they must think that they're in a bubble, disrupt the ambiance of the bar with their cellphone chatter. The server may have figured that you were on of them.

[totally understandable]
Agreed. I'm guessing OP was obnoxious with the cellphone and didn't think he/she was acting in this manner. And yes, it is quite possible to be obnoxious with a cellphone in ANY environment, even a bar. As for not leaving tips, I've skipped out on a tip on a few occasions. They were all related to either server abandonment or rude service. I am always polite to a server and go out of my way to treat them nicely. I know it is a tough job. But I expect to be treated nicely in return. Slow food or wrong orders are often not the servers fault, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. But just dumping me like a red headed stepchild is inexcusable, IMO.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
My husband and I eat at the Hooters in Fort Lauderdale all the time. The wings are pretty good but it is oceanfront and the view is to die for.

I'm celiac and always order the 1/2 pound of steamed shrimp with buffalo sauce on the side.

We went in a couple of months ago and got a new server. She was not only horrible but an idiot.

I placed me regular order and about 25 minutes later, she comes out and says they cannot do my buffalo shrimp. I told her that's not what I ordered, I ordered the steamed with the buffalo sauce on the side.

TEN minutes after that the manager comes out and politely tries to explain why they cannot do my order because the shrimp are breaded. She comes out and insists I ordered the buffalo shrimp.

Ugh. Then she argues with me. WTF?

It was the only time in my life I have walked out of a restaurant without tipping.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:51 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I did frequent the place I was told to quieten down last night - about six months ago was my last visit. The bartender didn't card me - said he remembered me. I can't imagine he did, and the tone seemed patronizing. The beers were more expensive than comparable establishments. The whole vibe was just sour and I didn't want to tip.

6 months since the last visit is not frequenting the place.

Mentioned not being carded and the price of beer? How young are you?

You are in the wrong and trying to justify your wrong behavior.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:54 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

You are in the wrong and trying to justify your wrong behavior.
And you've pretty much ensured that you won't be able to frequent the place again, since you'll be recognized as "the cell phone guy who didn't tip."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.