Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:09 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,150,511 times

Advertisements

The flip side to the entitlement is the entitlement of a business.

I worked in an area that did not provide minimum wage to wait staff, the population was too poor to be able to, or to want to, tip - but to keep the job, you had to report tips equaling the minimum wage, even if the area was too poor to support the difference.

You have to report money you in reality are not making in order to keep feeding yourself - how cool is that?? On top of that, you bused your own tables, preped and refreshed the salad bar, helped move inventory, cleaned etc, all for less than minimum wage, and all doing nothing to help you make up the difference in tips to get to minimum wage.

Ive also had wait jobs where there was no base salary. The tips were good enough to support the business operating that way. People would fight over jobs there.

In the end, restaurants should provide wait staff with at least minimum wage. Then, we can use NOT tipping as a way to relay we werent satisfied with the service, meal, anything at all to do with that business, IMHO.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,571,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went out to two restaurants last night. I frequent the first at least once every other week, sometimes weekly or even twice a week, and received prompt, friendly service, and tipped accordingly. I went to the second establishment to grab a quick beer and was in the bar area on my cell phone, and the server told me to "keep it quiet." I don't think I was excessively loud and wasn't cursing, being rude, etc. I thought he was very rude and left without tipping. I can't remember the last time I was so irritated at the service that I didn't tip.

What makes you want to not tip?
Bad service, period. I will still tip if the food is of less than desirable quality because it is out of the waiters control. I had an incident where me and my wife were repeatedly forgotten about by the waiter at a Chinese restaurant. We were also the only white people in there. Whether that played a role, I can not say. Additionally, our food wasn't what we ordered and and we were overcharged on the bill. This was through Groupon too which made me lose quite a bit of faith in Groupon's screening process.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:46 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,756,629 times
The ONLY time I have not tipped was in Honolulu when a server kept the change without asking. I hunted him down and got the change back. And never returned.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:54 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,305,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went out to two restaurants last night. I frequent the first at least once every other week, sometimes weekly or even twice a week, and received prompt, friendly service, and tipped accordingly. I went to the second establishment to grab a quick beer and was in the bar area on my cell phone, and the server told me to "keep it quiet." I don't think I was excessively loud and wasn't cursing, being rude, etc. I thought he was very rude and left without tipping. I can't remember the last time I was so irritated at the service that I didn't tip.

What makes you want to not tip?
Nothing, you are a complete dipsh!t if you don't tip someone because you are miffed. How freakin' childish and self important is that?

Old 03-08-2015, 02:06 PM

22,481 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
The flip side to the entitlement is the entitlement of a business.

Ive also had wait jobs where there was no base salary. The tips were good enough to support the business operating that way. People would fight over jobs there.

In the end, restaurants should provide wait staff with at least minimum wage. Then, we can use NOT tipping as a way to relay we werent satisfied with the service, meal, anything at all to do with that business, IMHO.
If a restaurant does not provide "a base salary", then that's illegal and needs to be reported. Also, the law says that if servers have side work to do (filling salt and pepper shakers, vacuuming the carpet), the restaurant is required to pay minimum wage for that.

The law also says it's okay to pay less than minimum wage during the hours that a server is waiting on tables.

------------------

To those of you who had a bad experience with a server to the point that no tip is warranted---always seek out the manager on duty and explain why. Don't wait until you are home to contact the restaurant. Managers appreciate hearing on the spot about a problem server.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:32 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
I worked in an area that did not provide minimum wage to wait staff, the population was too poor to be able to, or to want to, tip - but to keep the job, you had to report tips equaling the minimum wage, even if the area was too poor to support the difference.
And
Quote:
In the end, restaurants should provide wait staff with at least minimum wage.
That isn't true, wait staff HAVE to make the minimum wage. If their tips can't compensate for the lower wait staff's minimum wage, the employer still has to cover the difference so the minimum wage is met.

So if no one tipped the wait staff, they will still make the federal minimum wage. This is regardless of the fact that their "minimum" is at a lower rate because it is suppose to include tips. But if no tips are given, they still have to be paid the normal minimum wage.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,739,480 times
Waiters or waitresses with bad attitudes get a small tip from me. Yes it is your job to keep my glass full. bring me additional napkins or other items I may need and you need to be pleasant even if you don't feel like it. I am never demanding and always courteous but will not do a full tip for sub par service.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:54 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,150,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If a restaurant does not provide "a base salary", then that's illegal and needs to be reported. Also, the law says that if servers have side work to do (filling salt and pepper shakers, vacuuming the carpet), the restaurant is required to pay minimum wage for that.

The law also says it's okay to pay less than minimum wage during the hours that a server is waiting on tables.
The thing is, you are filling salt and pepper shakers, etc while you are waiting tables. Its not like you clock in and out on different time cards for that. I even had one manager tell me to get a bucket and start cleaning bricks during the last 5 minutes of my shift, while I was waiting for my last table to leave. That's the mentality you deal with doing restaurant work. They aren't all run by Robert Irvine, and the guy from Uncle Jack's Steak House.

Sure, any of us could have reported not having a base salary - or not making in tips the difference that was required to show minimum wage. In the job with great tips, why would anyone report it, lol? The requirement to report the tips was fine.

In the job where the difference in pay and tips had to equal minimum wage, some did report the situation. The only thing that came of it was them needing new jobs. Otherwise, it was business as usual.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:21 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Bad service, period. I will still tip if the food is of less than desirable quality because it is out of the waiters control. I had an incident where me and my wife were repeatedly forgotten about by the waiter at a Chinese restaurant. We were also the only white people in there. Whether that played a role, I can not say. Additionally, our food wasn't what we ordered and and we were overcharged on the bill. This was through Groupon too which made me lose quite a bit of faith in Groupon's screening process.
Groupon's screening process? What is this screening process of which you speak? Groupon is a coupon/discounting service, nothing more. They offer no guarantees as to the quality of what you will get; only that you will receive the requested good or service at the price of the coupon that they are offering. Groupon receives a percentage of the stores' sales of the services performed by the purchasers of the coupon in exchange for advertising the business via offering this mass coupon to their members. Groupon members are protected by businesses fraudulently taking the money and then not giving them the good or service they paid for.

Using Groupons is a double edged sword. They are not always a good deal for the customer. Businesses that use Groupons often do so because they are desperate to attract customers to their business. They are having trouble making a profit for whatever reason. And oftentimes that reason is they give bad service, the quality of the product they offer is terrible, etc.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:22 PM

30,653 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Knowing that the tip is going to the server, I always try to tie tipping to service. Hence, I have not and do not tip for rude service. Having written that if the food isn't good/fresh, I generally won't tip either, especially if I am still made to pay for my meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships