Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:42 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times

Advertisements

"I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn."

What is your opinion of this?

Every so often I get this request. I tend to ignore them. Okay, I always ignore them. I try to keep my internet world in control. I don't need my name out there everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:53 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
I don't use LinkedIn. I just scroll down to the bottom of the message and click the little link that says something about not receiving any further notifications. I don't get them anymore.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:45 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Linkedin is horrible.

You are giving away your complete privacy and then they screw with you.

Your personal and professional info is blastered all over the web. Other shady webpages pick get your info from them. They access your personal email account and send out invites to your contacts in YOUR name.

I was on it for a few weeks and once I deleted my account, you could still see my info it for half a year. I only coincidentally found out about it when I googled my name and still could see all my information. Once I contacted them about my deleted account, they had some fishy answer that google didn't update their info yet and made it public without their consent.

Don't do it.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:48 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
You're getting these notices because your email is in someone else's email contact list, and there is a feature on LinkedIn to invite your whole address book.

I think LinkedIn is useful professionally, more in certain fields than others. I have 1500-2000 connections right now, and many of these connections have endorsed and recommended me for certain skills. I have the maximum number of viewable endorsements (99+) on all my top skills. Do these endorsements and recommendations mean anything? It's dubious, but it looks good. The large network also affords me a large network of persons I can message should I need to during a job search.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:52 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Your personal and professional info is blastered all over the web. Other shady webpages pick get your info from them. They access your personal email account and send out invites to your contacts in YOUR name.

I was on it for a few weeks and once I deleted my account, you could still see my info it for half a year. I only coincidentally found out about it when I googled my name and still could see all my information. Once I contacted them about my deleted account, they had some fishy answer that google didn't update their info yet and made it public without their consent.
LinkedIn doesn't do this email blast without your consent. There is an "add connections" item from the "connections" menu where you can sign into an email account, then it pulls the contact metadata. It doesn't do this automatically, nor is it a one click process to get there. You have to make some effort to do it.

I agree that these mailings are a nuisance, but I am pretty certain there is a way to opt-out of future emails of this type in the email itself.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:31 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
LinkedIn doesn't do this email blast without your consent. There is an "add connections" item from the "connections" menu where you can sign into an email account, then it pulls the contact metadata. It doesn't do this automatically, nor is it a one click process to get there. You have to make some effort to do it.

I agree that these mailings are a nuisance, but I am pretty certain there is a way to opt-out of future emails of this type in the email itself.
I have received these invitations from lots of people I hardly know. And once I asked them WTF?, none of them had a clue that "they" were sending out these emails to me or anybody else.

I don't think anybody knowingly signed up to have sent out emails to everybody in their contact list. I certainly didn't know.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:48 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,965 times
I have it; I re-created LinkedIn 2 months ago (I deleted it last June because it wasn't helpful then when trying to relocate and it's not helpful now that I'm looking for a 2nd job in current area to save) and I don't think it's helpful at all. I don't know what fields they are helpful for, but it's totally not helpful for writers, librarians, and administrative assistants. The jobs they recommend for me are all volunteer! I need a 2nd job that pays and something full time!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Shucks. I started getting serious about working LinkedIn last summer and churned up several new pieces of business since then.

Plus the discussion groups can be really useful.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
"I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn."

What is your opinion of this?

Every so often I get this request. I tend to ignore them. Okay, I always ignore them. I try to keep my internet world in control. I don't need my name out there everywhere.

The site is very annoying for that reason alone which is why I had to delete my page in 2013. People send you connections request who don't know you and don't even work in the same field. Looks like the site is sending those requests because I still get them and have not had a Linkedin profile in two years.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
I like LinkedIn, but I don't use it very often. I welcome invitations to connect because it gives me a chance to get to know someone I wouldn't normally contact day-to-day. I think the information on the various companies is helpful too. I get notified when there are openings at certain firms I follow and I get to explore the backgrounds of the employees of firms I'm interested in as a way to tailor my own skills on what is relevant. Recruiters have contacted me with some great opportunities and I have helped others get jobs through LinkedIn. I think it's a great way to find a job, if you have great credentials. It's a site that gives you a chance to present yourself in the way you want to be perceived, to potential employers and people who could advance your career.

If you're a man who is single, I think it's a great way to meet attractive, professional, educated women too.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 04-08-2015 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships