Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 06:48 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Not true.

Many have no desire to have them. I never wanted children and I do not regret my decision.
I was "only" speaking for myself, I hear and respect what your saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 479 times
Funny and quite entertaining... I was most entertained by your openeness and appreciative of your honesty. In spite of your parents "short comings" you, I'm sure, turned out "whole"...

Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
I've always found it pretty scary how much parents' beliefs can affect their children. I'm very grateful that my parents weren't racist and didn't push a certain religion on me. I'm not badmouthing religion; it's just that I think a person should make up their own mind about it, not have it be taught to you as fact and starting at a very young age. (The racism part is self-explanatory.)

My mother impressed upon me to be honest and kind, to always be able to look at myself in the mirror.

My father taught me to excel and always do my absolute very best, and to always keep learning.

I do recognize older phrases I use all the time as coming from them. Some are pretty funny.

EDIT: Having read the post I quoted below, I have to add that both of my parents have/had amazing senses of humor. Our family is always joking around with each other, using wordplay, etc. That helps a LOT in life.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 04-10-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
My Mom taught me to think before I speak
always put myself in the other person's shoes
always use manners
have faith in God
count my blessings
realize that no matter how bad we think we have it in life, someone has it 10 times worse
help those in need
respect my elders
whatever you give in life, you'll receive tenfold
love with all of your heart
do unto others

Now these are old sayings that some of you might find crude, but they've stuck with me & my siblings. My Mom was a hoot! (I have to edit so I'm not using bad words)

Hey Mom! What's for dinner? Fried flattus and pickled arseholes
Hey Mom! Where'd Dad go? He went to poo and the hogs ate him!
Lmao!!! I love how she felt so strongly about her beliefs but then still had that sense of humor. Awesome.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:35 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Lmao!!! I love how she felt so strongly about her beliefs but then still had that sense of humor. Awesome.
She was the best Mom anyone could ask for. Everybody loved being around her. You just never knew when she was going to come out with something funny. She was physically and emotionally abused by her Mom, but she said when she had kids, she's be totally opposite of my Grandmother and she was. I've yet to meet anyone that I admire and respect as much as I did my Mom.

She never said the real bad swear words but here's one last one I'll leave you with.

Muck you Fister! Go back off in your own jack yard! hahaha She never said that one until we were adults.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
She was the best Mom anyone could ask for. Everybody loved being around her. You just never knew when she was going to come out with something funny. She was physically and emotionally abused by her Mom, but she said when she had kids, she's be totally opposite of my Grandmother and she was. I've yet to meet anyone that I admire and respect as much as I did my Mom.

She never said the real bad swear words but here's one last one I'll leave you with.

Muck you Fister! Go back off in your own jack yard! hahaha She never said that one until we were adults.
Lmao! ("Go back off in your own jack yard!") Omg...

Honestly, I could have written your post about my own mom. I always say she was born to be a mother. And anytime, anytime, I come across someone who knows/knew her, they always say, "Oh, I just love your mom! She is so great!" Makes me feel good, proud.

I won't say she is always the life of the party, because that doesn't really capture it, she's more like the light of the party. Just very easygoing, always laughing, making others laugh with her quick wit.

My mom, too, suffered some very bad abuse when she was young, but she vowed that she was not going to let what happened ruin her life, she would not give that person the satisfaction, would not let them "win." I found that to be pretty impressive.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you.

So, back on topic. Sorry, OP.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:59 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
My parents and grandparents were rather conservative and church going. I am involved in church but not the same denomination as they. I do appreciate the example they showed in both being ethical and hardworking. I consider myself similar to them in their political leanings: fiscal conservative , social moderate. As my brother said, they might have not been perfect but they did what they thought was best AT THE TIME. They did sacrifice for us and but were not necessarily frugal, they were careful with money. Therefore, I was able to inherit an nice size estate which will make my retirement more secure and, hopefully, will make my daughter's life easier.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:51 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,236 times
here is what i was taught (obviously i gave them all up once i moved out at 18 and went to college and opened my eyes):

1-believe in god or some magical sky fairy that will help you

2-don't walk over someone's legs or body. that person will stop growing

3-don't walk under a bridge whilst a vehicle is traversing. something bad will happen

4-if you sneeze before leaving the house, you will have bad luck

5-a slipper upside down means there will be a fight in the house

6-if you use scissors and make that sound a few times, there will be a fight in the house

7-eating pomegranates makes your blood more red and "cleans" it

8-pray and donate money to organized religion because god(s) needs your money

9-say bless you after you sneeze (this REALLY bothers me)

10-say some religious words after you sneeze (thank you god in arabic because i was born into an islamic family)

11-it's ok to be religious and a hypocrite at the same time. that's just how it works. and yes son, you will go to heaven while those mentioned as outcasts in our religion will burn in hellfire (i was taught this partly by observation and partly by exact wording as written in the "holy book").

today i am an atheist and only judge decisions and beliefs based on historical factual performance or records and obviously scientific laws. obviously i am no longer in touch with the completely stupid people with whom i grew up around. it's incredible how easy it is for parents/guardians to brainwash their children to believe anything. unbelievable.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
My dad used to say "what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive". I always thought it was from Shakespeare but I admit I never looked it up. I told it to my 7 year old grandson the other day but I then had to explain it to him.

ETA The Berenstein Bear and the Truth is an excellent book to get that point across to kids. It is exactly "Never lie, then you don't have to try and remember what you said".
“Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.” was actually Scottish and written by Sir Walter Scott in 1808.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships