Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 04:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree with kayanne, you say something like "Excuse me" or "Pardon me" or "Can I help you?" or "I need you" or "Please stop" or whatever is appropriate for the situation. Guess what? Those phrases are suitable for anyone,men or women, old or young, boy or girl.
So are sir, ma'am, miss, and young man. And if you are trying to get somebody's attention, using sir or ma'am, helps to narrow the pool. Calling out "excuse me!" can get a lot of heads turning from both sexes.

This is so not the big deal people think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 04:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So are sir, ma'am, miss, and young man. And if you are trying to get somebody's attention, using sir or ma'am, helps to narrow the pool. Calling out "excuse me!" can get a lot of heads turning from both sexes.

This is so not the big deal people think it is.
This. The people are offended by such things are people are seeking to be offended. If it's not that, it would be something else equally trivial.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Quote of the year.

I have to say that the pettiness and fractious nature of the views expressed on this thread depress me a little. It's almost as if these people lie awake at night seeking out reasons to fault others. Then some of the same people will appear in another thread, wondering why they have so few friends.

A person who says Sir or Ma'am is, 99.9999% of the time, making an attempt to be respectful and polite. That person isn't trying to denigrate you, isn't trying to make you feel old, and isn't trying to put your in your place. The person who is trying to be polite isn't, a very large majority of the time, trying to manipulate you either.

Nope. All that person is trying to do is accord you respect, one human being to another. And if you are suspicious of it, if you scorn it, if you worry that it makes you feel old, then that really speaks to your own character flaws. Either that or you're so consumed by your own agenda in life that you don't recognize politeness when you see it.

If anything, we inhabit a world where basic courtesy is in short supply. One would have to be the village idiot to complain when they are the beneficiary of it.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
It is apparent in this thread that some people who grew up saying sir and ma'am consider their habits to be superior and more mannerly than the habits of those who grew up in other regions. They cannot concede that this issue is simply one of geographical and dialect differences.

I say it is like hand gestures and different meanings. To me, a "thumbs up" gesture means "way to go" or "I like that" or general encouragement. In some cultures, it is considered very rude and offensive. It would be ridiculous of me to continue giving thumbs up in a part of the world where it is offensive. It would be ridiculous of me to criticize people as being petty for not interpreting my gesture as the encouragement I intended. It would be ridiculous of me to act superior to people who prefer that I not use the thumbs up gesture. And it would be ridiculous for me to insist that everyone should interpret thumbs up the same way that I do.

Whether you like it or not, whether you agree or not, whether you can grasp it or not, there are many places where "ma'am" does NOT convey respect to most women, as in those places, it is a term only used for elderly or sarcasm.

In closing, I'm going to give myself a big thumbs up. Interpret it as you wish.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:54 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It is apparent in this thread that some people who grew up saying sir and ma'am consider their habits to be superior and more mannerly than the habits of those who grew up in other regions. They cannot concede that this issue is simply one of geographical and dialect differences.
The is a large part of the issue right there. People act like it's the height of respect...but it's superficial and says nothing about their character or even if they are really polite.

It is habit in some areas and maybe more neutral in tone there...but someone tries that hard to appear polite...chances are they really aren't.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:14 PM

155 posts, read 196,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
OP: I was raised the same.

However, people have stopped being raised properly and to say it's regional is uneducated at best. There are many countries all over the world who don't call elders or anyone they don't know by the first name.

People have lost respect for other people in America, and it is very rude actually.

I teach my kids how to properly address other people.
No it's not. It's not proper at all. See in the South they still clung to the remnants of the European aristocracy model; therefore outward social status was important. Sir and Ma'am are nothing more than "defer to your betters, serf" type social norms. The reason it never caught on in the Northeast or places with a more pioneer everyone close together history like the West was because the social classes (outwardly at least) didn't become important anymore like that. Who cares who so and so's ancestors were, you're both working in a garment factory together, shopping at the same butcher etc. Call them by their first name and drop this pathetic classist "by your leave my liege" b.s. we came to America to get away from.

As others have said, especially in the modern day respect is EARNED not assumed, and I'm very happy for that. Someone should not sneer and gossip about someone else not using the proper archaic terminology they expected to be entitled to, this is one thing I hated most about the phony baloney politeness of the South.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 PM

155 posts, read 196,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
The is a large part of the issue right there. People act like it's the height of respect...but it's superficial and says nothing about their character or even if they are really polite.

It is habit in some areas and maybe more neutral in tone there...but someone tries that hard to appear polite...chances are they really aren't.
This! This right here. I've experienced so many people from the South (when I was in the military, stationed down there for a while, in college etc) who think "*gasp!* He didn't use the proper title and treat me like a noble, he's so rude!" But in reality I find Northeasterners far FAR more polite and personable than Southerners. Yes we go on a first name basis, and you usually know where you actually stand with someone and can have genuine friendships without all this "bless your heart" passive aggressive nonsense and gossip.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

I say it is like hand gestures and different meanings. To me, a "thumbs up" gesture means "way to go" or "I like that" or general encouragement.
In some cultures, it is considered very rude and offensive.

It would be
ridiculous of me to continue giving thumbs up in a part of the world where it is offensive.

It would be ridiculous of me to criticize people as being petty for not interpreting my gesture as the encouragement I intended.

It would be ridiculous of me to act superior to people who prefer that I not use the thumbs up gesture.

And it would be ridiculous for me to insist that everyone should interpret thumbs up the same way that I do.

Whether you like it or not, whether you agree or not, whether you can grasp it or not, there are many places where "ma'am" does NOT convey respect to most women, as in those places, it is a term only used for elderly or sarcasm.

In closing, I'm going to give myself a big thumbs up. Interpret it as you wish.
What a great post! I'm giving it three "thumbs up"!

Your example and comments are right on target.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:39 PM

3,508 posts, read 767,794 times
all i know is i hate getting the senior discount at McDonalds .. i`m only 60 ..

Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,162 times
I quite like being called Ma'am. Brings a smile to my face every time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships