Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:26 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
As a child, it was pretty much drilled into me that I should respect my elders. It seems as if everytime I try to be polite and formal to strangers by addressing them as Sir, Ma'am, Mister "Jason", or Miss, they prefer not to be addressed that way, but instead their first name. It becomes a habit that's hard to break for me.
If something like this was supposed to sound, polite, formal and professional, why do people prefer not to be addressed that way?
I personally HATE being called "sir". HATE IT! No one ever called me "sir" until a couple years ago, so to me, it implies that I'm old. "Dude, bro, or hey you" will suffice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 AM

625 posts, read 623,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
As a child, it was pretty much drilled into me that I should respect my elders. It seems as if everytime I try to be polite and formal to strangers by addressing them as Sir, Ma'am, Mister "Jason", or Miss, they prefer not to be addressed that way, but instead their first name. It becomes a habit that's hard to break for me.
If something like this was supposed to sound, polite, formal and professional, why do people prefer not to be addressed that way?
I agree with you 100%. It is polite and appropriate to address strangers as Sir, Ma'am, Mr., Mrs., Miss, etc.

I don't like someone I've just met calling me by my first name. I find this especially offensive if it's someone VERY young or someone in the healthcare profession. If it's okay to use my first name, I'll let you know. Otherwise, be civil, appropriate and show some respect.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
OP: I was raised the same.

However, people have stopped being raised properly and to say it's regional is uneducated at best. There are many countries all over the world who don't call elders or anyone they don't know by the first name.

People have lost respect for other people in America, and it is very rude actually.

I teach my kids how to properly address other people.
It's definitely regional. I never said "sir" or "ma'am" until I joined the military and had to. And I noticed that it was by far the people from the South who already were used to these terms.

I'll use it on someone who looks old, like they would appreciate it. Just don't use it on me.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 AM

625 posts, read 623,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's definitely regional. I never said "sir" or "ma'am" until I joined the military and had to. And I noticed that it was by far the people from the South who already were used to these terms.

I'll use it on someone who looks old, like they would appreciate it. Just don't use it on me.
Yah, we'll just say "hey bro" or "do you guys know what you want?" Always classy!

Are you still in the military? Seems doubtful with slacker dude attitude.

Last edited by BamaBlue; 05-19-2015 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 05-19-2015, 11:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,551 times
Quote:

You are perpetuating rude behavior.

There is nothing wrong with being addressed by what you are. "Sir", "M'am", "Miss", if you're not on buddy basis with these people.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 AM

191 posts, read 211,996 times
I would prefer not to be called anything in these situations, whenever possible anyway. People can say thank you or similar without adding ma'am to it. I realize there are times where one will have to use something and ma'am or sir are usually it.

I can admit I don't like it because it infers age. Generally speaking, I'm not of a generation who appreciates that type of thing; the use of sir/ma'am to convey respect. I also don't think I'm owed anything special respect-wise solely by virtue of the fact I'm older than some people. So what?

This very thing happened to me this morning at a deli and I bristled at it on the inside. If the customer service person is providing good service and is pleasant, I find that more respectful than throwing ma'am into it somewhere.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,334 times
I do not like being called "Mr" because my correct address is "Dr" [from back in the day when it meant effort and intellect].

That Ma'am" thing sounds to me, like you're addressing that anatomic part best left unmentioned in public. I can see how some women hate that. I would too. This ain't France or Quebec.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
You have already gotten crap for this remark, and I don't want to compound it, but the thing that this behavior reminds me of is the "Old South" practice of referring to elderly female slaves as "Auntie." It was supposed to convey respect. I'm sure you can see the irony there.
Now you're being ridiculous. I think you've watched Gone With The Wind too often.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:05 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,253 times
Quote:
I personally HATE being called "sir". HATE IT! No one ever called me "sir" until a couple years ago, so to me, it implies that I'm old. "Dude, bro, or hey you" will suffice
It's cool I guess, but that's only if someone knows you, it does have it's limits..
Sometimes you can't always wear flip flops to a meeting with serious cats, concerning the Security and that of a family's safety talking like this...

Hey "B" or "Yo it's this guy" or it's "That guy" or Yo Neff, or "What's up spank" "How's it hanging broski" "Sup dudes".. If I ever walked into a restaurant with my guys waiting for me at the short bar rolling up talking like some fu fu cupcake , I'll never be an earner again. maybe in down time or free time-because we know and work with one another. Other then that, all bets are off.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:47 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,144 times
I don't like being called ma'am because TO ME it conveys old people and i'm not old cotdammit

now get off my lawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships