Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:17 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,729,914 times

Advertisements

Since joining Facebook, I have received a number of friend requests from people I don't know. Sometimes the person has a friend in common with me and got my name that way, but lately I've gotten friend requests out of the blue from complete strangers. I either ignore them or send a brief message explaining that I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know.

Yesterday a man who tried to friend me said that he meant no harm and apologized for intruding on my privacy, but he liked my profile and just wanted to be friends. I politely declined the request, but now I'm wondering if these friend requests are an attempt at phishing or identity theft? It's kind of creepy, like being stalked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:19 PM

22 posts, read 30,346 times
I get them all the time too. I have an entire archive of messages from strange men telling me "I'm pretty" or "I have a nice smile".

I tend to comment on cnn often. And I think that's where they see my profile. I ignore them and block them.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
I'm convinced that Facebook will occasionally send friend requests out without your permission. I've gotten notices saying "So-and-So has accepted your friend request" when I'd never heard of the person. It's embarrassing to say, "Uh, I'm sure you're a wonderful person and all, but..."

I've gotten a few requests from strangers, too, but it's usually women who synced their FB with other social media and realized I was so-and-so on Pinterest or Instagram or something and we're already acquainted and joke around a lot. I accept those and there haven't been any problems. I ignore the ones from men, though. Strange men are the #1 reason I don't have any pictures of myself on any of my social media.

MySpace was so much better back in the day. This whole business of using one's real name is for the birds.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 PM

Wow, friend requests being accepted when you never sent one out? That's really creepy. Maybe someone has hijacked your Facebook account?

I've never used MySpace, but Facebook makes you use your real name.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Wow, friend requests being accepted when you never sent one out? That's really creepy. Maybe someone has hijacked your Facebook account?

No one got into my account. I know other people who have had that happen, too. That's why when I get requests from people I don't know personally, I ask them if they actually sent it. A few people did not. No harm, no foul.

MySpace didn't make you use your real name. Many people used screen names like we do here. Plenty of people on Facebook use fake names, too. I did on an old account. But when you create a Facebook account now, it wants your mobile phone number to verify who you are, and if you don't want to give it, it actually has the audacity to tell you it will accept a state-authorized ID instead. It has totally gone Big Brother.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:31 AM

In a way I can understand Facebook's "Big Brother" attitude. They want to prevent people from creating false identities and impersonating other people, particularly celebrities. Some imposters have created phony celebrity Twitter accounts, so the "celebrity" whose tweets you follow just might be a fake.

It is scary, though, that complete strangers can get Facebook friend requests from you that you didn't authorize. This hasn't happened to me - yet!

Old 05-20-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
In a way I can understand Facebook's "Big Brother" attitude. They want to prevent people from creating false identities and impersonating other people, particularly celebrities. Some imposters have created phony celebrity Twitter accounts, so the "celebrity" whose tweets you follow just might be a fake.

It is scary, though, that complete strangers can get Facebook friend requests from you that you didn't authorize. This hasn't happened to me - yet!
I think it goes beyond catering to celebrities. Facebook can and does have ways for celebrities to verify their accounts. They don't need phone records or state IDs for the other 99.9999% of us. It's a way of getting into your phone so it can pull your information out, and a way of collecting information about you to share with advertisers and marketers.

Third-party apps are another way it will send out requests without you knowing or expressly giving permission. That's why I don't play any games on there. The only third-party app I use is Spotify, and that doesn't send out requests on your behalf. If you play games, make sure you read the fine print about what the app will do before you add it to your platform. They will say things like, "By adding this app, you agree that the app can access your photos, friends list, birthday [and whatever else it's going to collect and use for advertising], make posts on your behalf, send friend requests on your behalf..." Some do and some don't, but I don't bother with any of them. I'd rather spend my goof-off time here on C-D.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
Is your account private? You should make it to where only people on your friends list can see your profile. That's a safety concern to me. I only get requests from people I don't know because of a game I used to play. You need friends to complete tasks and most people use Facebook to find other players. Other than that, I haven't.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:

I never used my real name when we had Facebook. Check the settings, if I remember correctly you can stop all friend requests.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:21 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,188,113 times
Geeze, people are so paranoid nowadays. "Oh, don't accept that request, there's a 1 in a million chance that something bad could happen." Yes, I've accepted requests from strangers, I have 1,779 friends and probably haven't even met 10-15% of them in person. I've had an OCCASIONAL problem where people have tried to sell me stuff or messaged me and went straight into creep mode. If that happens, I delete them, but I give people the benefit of the doubt. I've even talked to someone from Haiti who randomly added me. That's pretty cool and something that people who close themselves off from the world don't get to do. To people who close themselves off, you're just making yourselves miserable inside those walls. Think about it, if you send someone a friend request (voluntarily) you have a reason.

I know it's hard, but the world would be a better place if we all learned to trust each other a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships