Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 04:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,338,757 times

Advertisements

This thread is actually very good in that lots can be learned from it. It wouldn't even occur to many people opening their doors to needy relatives that there could be ensuing legalities later.

I'm sure GLAD that I didn't let my nephew stay here for more than a week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:00 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,462,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
UPDATE:

Every time my sister leaves her room my wife or I ask her when she is leaving. She looks away and starts crying and rushes back to her room. I suspect we are not going to get her to leave unless someone gets physical with her. She has not left the house for the entire time she has been with us so we can't move her things out physically. I talked to all family members and not one of them has agreed to put her up again or give any money for her to be bribed to leave. We are thinking of giving her $1000 in a VISA Gift Card to leave. Will that work?

Be careful with a VISA card tha it doesn't have fees that eat up the value.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:00 PM

35,198 posts, read 31,535,506 times
In short, I'd try not to unless they were badgering me or making no obvious effort to improve their situation.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:08 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,647,783 times
Don't give her any money at this point!

I agree: call social services. See what they can do for you, if anything. Maybe she can be moved into a facility for observation.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:03 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,955,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Her weight and age are less of a factor than her qualifications and the job requirements. She certainly can't do physically demanding jobs, but I have seen a lot of big gals haul in a paycheck.
You didn't answer the question.

I for one don't doubt that there are older people over 300 pounds that have the ability to be good employees.

However, I have great doubt that older workers over 300 pounds will get hired in the first place. When that worker hasn't had a job in months, forgetabboutit.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:17 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,894,701 times
An unintended consequence waiting to happen will be the tremendous increase in the C.O.L.A when/if the $15 per hour minimum wage kicks in. You will see many relatives living under one roof to share expenses.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:21 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,752,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
You didn't answer the question.

I for one don't doubt that there are older people over 300 pounds that have the ability to be good employees.

However, I have great doubt that older workers over 300 pounds will get hired in the first place. When that worker hasn't had a job in months, forgetabboutit.
Since you know the outcome, there's no point in discussing it.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:41 AM

6,414 posts, read 6,317,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Don't give her any money at this point!

I agree: call social services. See what they can do for you, if anything. Maybe she can be moved into a facility for observation.
Mental hospitals are full of homeless using them as shelter because they refuse to go to an actual shelter. This helps no one.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:27 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,491,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
One of my sisters is an long term unemployed and she has been moving from one relative to anther while she waits out the recession. After Mom and Dad kicked her out of their home for freeloading and not seriously looking for work, she showed up unannounced at our door step looking for a temporary place to live. What could we do but let her come inside and live with us for awhile.

"Awhile" has been a few months and my wife wants my sister gone. But where can we send her? She has already overstayed her welcome at my parents home and my other family members don't want her.

Anyway, how could we actually evict her legally? Can we hire someone to physically move her out and get a court order for her to never return to our home? My wife says maybe we can put her up in an extended stay hotel for a month but after a month she will show up at our door step again. Any advice?
Waits out the recession? What is it 2008? That's just a merry go round of playing musical chairs with relatives. I think everyone has someone like that in their family.

A few months is nothing; try a few years. These situations have a way of working themselves out on their own. I gave my wife a hard time about it, she gave her sister a hard time about it. I gave her sister a hard time about it. My wife gave me a hard time about giving her a hard time. My wife gave me a hard time about not being civil to her sister. I was the bad guy, even though my wife wanted her sister gone as much as I did. Even now, six years later, my wife still feels as though I do not like her sister.

Some people have a hard time getting back on their feet though. It's been several years and the sister is still living with her parents. And yes, your sister will attempt to move back in with you again, regardless of what happens, months or years down the line, if she cannot become self-sufficient.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,483,394 times
I didn't know her age and weight earlier on.

You know, if she placed an ad to house clean...she could be working next week.
4 hours for $100 ...or beat out the competition and say $80.
Use you as a reference, anyone else?....Punctuality, dependability and
cleaning the way you want...
are keys in ads.

Word of mouth will do the rest.
Oh, hope she will have transportation there and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships