Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:47 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times

Advertisements

When my daughter was born. She was 3 days old when I first held her and I knew then my life had changed forever. It was like the right hook of reality, it was good though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 PM

48 posts, read 50,171 times
in third grade after i beat every1 in around the world multiplication flash cards... thats when i really started feeling like an adult. haven't looked back

Old 06-01-2015, 07:08 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
When I was 21, had just moved into my first apartment and was in the local Fred Meyer doing grocery shopping on my own for the very first time. I felt woefully inadequate for what was ahead - life as an adult.

25 years later I found myself married, with a house, property - my own family. I had just come from the bedside of my dying mother, and I was in the same Fred Meyer, getting groceries, and again, I felt woefully inadequate for what was ahead - life without my mother.

Both times I felt like an adult, just more so the second time. And both times I have learned and grown by the challenges that life brought me.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
I don't know about "feeling adult"....but I felt, around 25, that I was finally a mature adult. Before that it just felt like I was playing house (I had 1 baby by 22, 2 by 24, and 3 by 26). We were always so much younger than all the other parents, we just felt out of place. Once I hit 30 I felt like I fit in more with the parenting crowd.

It's interesting because they say the human brain doesn't fully mature until age 25. That is the age in which I started feeling all grown up, so yay for me lol

Old 06-01-2015, 08:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
After I had my first child. I remember feeling then that I was fully an adult.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:54 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I've lived on my own since a few days after turning 16, but really didn't feel like an adult until I was around 35. That's when I started feeling centered and comfortable in my skin.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,837 times
I never felt like I became an adult, but I do notice that I started calling younger people "the childs" as in like, "The childs are out tonight." while driving by a bar scene or something...maybe that is an indicator that you are old, when you start self separating. Also there are places where I just feel out of place now. Up into my 30ies I had no problem hanging out with college kids at say a coffee shop or a bar. Now I do feel out of place. See, look at that...I called them "college kids". I'm old.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 PM

84 posts, read 79,872 times
I'm 30. I've had a mortgage, held a director-level job, am married.

And yet, I still don't feel like a real, live grown-up at all. For example, I'll re-read an email that I sent to my accountant and think "What imposter wrote this? It certainly can't be me, I'm still in high school!"

Old 06-02-2015, 01:35 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
The first time I felt like an adult was when I was 18. I was still living at home and going to college. Some friends and I had spent the day at the beach, and since my boyfriend didn't have a car, another of our group of friends drove me home and walked me to my front door. His name was Chung. He was Korean, a gentle, polite and well-mannered young engineering student.

When I went inside, my father was standing in the front hall with a scowl on his face, obviously displeased. At first I was confused, and then I was completely taken aback as he launched into a tirade, telling me that no decent woman would allow herself to seen in public with a man of another race.

As he lectured me, I felt a seismic shift inside myself. Suddenly I knew in my heart that he was wrong - utterly and completely wrong - and that I had done nothing wrong. In that moment I realized that I was my own person, that his views were not mine and that I could no longer look up to him as an authority figure. Not long afterward I got a job, moved across the country and never looked back.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:20 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,784 times
I am still working on it and I am at least twice your age!

My suggestions to you are:
-- don't get involved in drinking (and doing drugs) and use them as a way of avoiding and/or dealing with things which happen in your life.

--Plan out what you want to do with your life and where you would like to be (financially, emotionally, etc.) by a certain age.

--Figure out what you need to do to accomplish the previous statement.

--Think about what you say and do before you say and do them.

--Treat others like you would like to be treated.

--Keep your expectations of others in check.

--Focus on things you can control in your life, let go of things you cannot control.

--Try and do nice things for others. It will take you out of yourself and you may help someone who has more problems than you can imagine.

--Be happy! Read and watch uplifting and encouraging shows, jokes, etc.

(I didn't do most of these suggestions I have given you and I acted and behaved like a "kid" for years. I am working on them now, however, and feel more like an adult and am happier than I have been in the past several decades of my life.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships