Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 07:44 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times

Advertisements

My BIL is a nice guy, he would give you the shirt off his back to help and he's really good with his sister (my wife), but he's a lengend in his own mind. No matter what it is anyone does, he does it better, he works harder than anyone, he has a nicer house than anyone, his kids are better than anyone's, his lawn is the best in the neighborhood, he's more macho than other guys, etc., etc., etc. If you show any pride in your own life, appearance, ability, accomplishment, he has to one up you on it. I don't say anything, we get along well enough, but it's tiring to keep listening to the BS, day in and day out. I figure you need to have a huge self esteem problem if you have to keep inflating your own ego over EVERYTHING. Any one else have one like this? How do you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 08:20 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
people who have more good qualities than bad ones get to stay in my life but I do keep some space, and limit the time I spend with them. In your case, you might also take him on in good humor occasionally: "Hey, Bill, you gotta give me this one! Today my lawn DOES look better than yours and actually I saw a few weeds on the side of your lawn near the flower bed. My Win!!!...." and laugh, and slap him on the back, or grab him and give him a loud sloppy kiss on the cheek.

Sometimes you just have to release and let yourself squawk back; and this is best done with humor. (OK, for his birthday, get him a tee shirt that says "I'm the Best")

Old 06-06-2015, 09:26 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Enormous ego or insecurity? The poster's suggestion for a T-shirt was right on the money.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:41 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
My BIL is a nice guy, he would give you the shirt off his back to help and he's really good with his sister (my wife), but he's a lengend in his own mind. No matter what it is anyone does, he does it better, he works harder than anyone, he has a nicer house than anyone, his kids are better than anyone's, his lawn is the best in the neighborhood, he's more macho than other guys, etc., etc., etc. If you show any pride in your own life, appearance, ability, accomplishment, he has to one up you on it. I don't say anything, we get along well enough, but it's tiring to keep listening to the BS, day in and day out. I figure you need to have a huge self esteem problem if you have to keep inflating your own ego over EVERYTHING. Any one else have one like this? How do you handle it?
I'd show him this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Old 06-06-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Sometimes you just have to release and let yourself squawk back; and this is best done with humor. (OK, for his birthday, get him a tee shirt that says "I'm the Best")
LOL, but T-shirt????? More likely tatooed across his forehead!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,784 times
Shame that they don't have one of those cards you open which plays music for egotists. I am thinking a good one would be the first part of that Debbie Boone song "Nobody does it better" and if you could do your own dubbing his name in it after the "better" part. And the part "Makes me feel sad for the rest" rings true because I feel sad for the rest of the people who have to listen to him.
(Oh well, small attempt at humor there)
I would be tempted to shake my head and walk away the next time he starts into how much better he is/does something. After a few times, he will be the only audience he has and can listen to himself tell himself how great he is.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Love Monty Python, but you make a good point.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
Shame that they don't have one of those cards you open which plays music for egotists. I am thinking a good one would be the first part of that Debbie Boone song "Nobody does it better" and if you could do your own dubbing his name in it after the "better" part. And the part "Makes me feel sad for the rest" rings true because I feel sad for the rest of the people who have to listen to him.
(Oh well, small attempt at humor there)
I would be tempted to shake my head and walk away the next time he starts into how much better he is/does something. After a few times, he will be the only audience he has and can listen to himself tell himself how great he is.
No, not Debbie Boone, wasn't it Carly Simon? I think it was James Bond theme, and you know what an obnoxious egotist James was, so excellent choice.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
I would simply say "And we're all very impressed" and do it when a few people are around, that might take him down a peg or two. At least for the day.

And be honest with yourself, you don't like him very much. It's like when people say "I love Linda to death, but......", no you don't. You don't have to justify not liking someone.

People who go on about how they have the nicest house, aren't usually the types who are generous to others. It's all about them.

Try the comment above, and avoid him as much as possible.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:51 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
people who have more good qualities than bad ones get to stay in my life but I do keep some space, and limit the time I spend with them. In your case, you might also take him on in good humor occasionally: "Hey, Bill, you gotta give me this one! Today my lawn DOES look better than yours and actually I saw a few weeds on the side of your lawn near the flower bed. My Win!!!...." and laugh, and slap him on the back, or grab him and give him a loud sloppy kiss on the cheek.
I wouldn't recommend this, it just comes across as passive aggressive and will likely only encourage him to one-up you even more, trying to bait you into a p***ing match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships